A couple of questions about the rosery

OK, I’m not trying to be legalistic or anything. I just want to know.

Does it matter which mysteries we say on a particular day? I know that the church reccomends certain onws for each day, but I can never remember which ones are for when. Yesterday, I was feeling really sad because my sister and my husband had a big fight and I wanted to say a rosery for them. I said the sarrowful mystories because that’s how I was feeling. would it be more impactful in a supernatural way if I said the wone that was supposed to be said? (Not sure which one it should have been)

the next two questions are just wonderings in my head.

s there a better way to hold the beads while you are walking so they don’t get tangled? I try and do it while I walk to work and the beads are always hanging way down and I don’t want to mess them up. and I’ve got something else in my other hand, so I would like to only use the one hand to turn the beads. does anyone have a method they use? just curious.

Also, should a rosery be re-blessed if you think someone might have used it for something un holy? should it be gotten rid of?

Sue

[quote=SueKrum]OK, I’m not trying to be legalistic or anything. I just want to know.

Does it matter which mysteries we say on a particular day? I know that the church reccomends certain onws for each day, but I can never remember which ones are for when. Yesterday, I was feeling really sad because my sister and my husband had a big fight and I wanted to say a rosery for them. I said the sarrowful mystories because that’s how I was feeling. would it be more impactful in a supernatural way if I said the wone that was supposed to be said? (Not sure which one it should have been)
[/quote]

You did just fine–and were being thoughtful, which is never wrong. :slight_smile:

Since the rosary is a private devotion (as opposed to liturgical prayer which is the corporate prayer of the Church) you can meditate on anything you like. The mysteries are merely suggestions, but most of us find it easier to follow the ones meant for a particular day for the sake of discipline. You can get small pamphlets with all the mysteries and even Scripture verses at any Catholic gift shop or many Catholic apostolates give them out, too.

s there a better way to hold the beads while you are walking so they don’t get tangled? I try and do it while I walk to work and the beads are always hanging way down and I don’t want to mess them up. and I’ve got something else in my other hand, so I would like to only use the one hand to turn the beads. does anyone have a method they use? just curious.

Also, should a rosery be re-blessed if you think someone might have used it for something un holy? should it be gotten rid of?

Sue

You might want to get a rosary ring since you can hold that in one hand. I’m sure you can find one at a Catholic gift shop or through apostolates.

And I’m pretty sure you could have a rosary that was blasphemed re-blessed and don’t have to toss it out (which isn’t the proper method of disposing of worn out sacramentals. Burning or burying them is the right thing to do). When a church building has been defiled it is reconsecrated, so I don’t see why a rosary couldn’t be re-blessed.

thanks.
I actually have a CD with the mens club saying all the mystories of the rosery on it and I listen to that and pray along with it. It’s easier for me and your answer helped a lit. I like to pray what ever mystory I am in the mood for. thanks :slight_smile: LIke, if I feel that God has given me a miricle, or if I am praying for a miricle, I will pray teh lumonous mystories.

You could try this Virtual Rosary download to see if it helps. Here

I haven’t used it in a long time, but it used to put up a daily reminder.

Great SueKrum; when I am alone and have no rosary guide, I also really enjoy doing a mystery that suits the way I am feeling. But if I am saying one with Family, we usually choose the suggested mysteries recommended by the Church. God loves.

-Alison

Sue, yesterday’s “suggested” mysteries are the sorrowful ones! So you said the correct ones for that day. It doesn’t matter which ones you say on which day. The important thing is that you are saying the Rosary. I think they suggest various mysteries for different days of the week so that people will get a good rotation going and not just stick with the Joyful every day. Also, it is recommended that we say the Sorrowful Mysteries on Friday in honor of Good Friday (and the Glorious on Sunday in honor of Easter). But this isn’t a rule, just a suggestion. I personally like saying the Luminous Mysteries on rainy days because we need more light on those days :slight_smile: In case you are interested, I think the suggested mysteries are:

Monday, Joyful
Tuesday, Sorrowful
Wednesday, Glorious
Thursday, Luminous
Friday, Sorrowful
Saturday, Glorious
Sunday, Glorious
(although some suggestions change depending on the liturgical season!)

I usually say Joyful on Saturdays though (although Saturday is considered Mary’s day, so the meditations on the last two Glorious Mysteries are very appropriate too).

You can pray what mysteries you like.

Get a rosary ring. You count with one hand - And the ring goes on one finger.

**I have a rosary bracelet that I am currently wearing all the time. With all that is going on at work, I just have to look at it and know that I should be praying instead of thinking ugly thoughts of others. It may be less likely to get lost than the ring.

If you can’t find one, you could make your own as well.

Maggie**

[quote=SueKrum]OK, I’m not trying to be legalistic or anything. I just want to know.

Sue
[/quote]

I have a blessed Rosary ring, if you want it, send me an PM and i will send it to you free of charge.

the rosary is a private devotion, you can pray it any way you want, meditate on any mysteries you want, say any prayers you want afterward, you don’t even have to say “hail Mary” on each bead, my Baptist relatives use a scriptural rosary I sent them (by request) and just repeat the scripture verse for each bead and say the Our Fathers and Glory Be’s.

I just switched to a ring rosary for my daily walk because I have incorporated arm-swining movements and can’t have the rosary swinging around. just needs a thumb and one finger. I also use this on the exercise bike or treadmill.

Since when do you not have to say the Hail Mary on the decades
and the first 3 beads? That’s news to me!

Does anyone know where I can find a rosary ring fairly cheap? I usually carry a rosary with me throughout the day but I’ve already broken beads on one of mine and the other one is kind of old and had some repairs done on it once already (those little chain links are a pain to piece back together). A ring would be easier to keep in my pocket.

-ACEGC

The Rosary ring I have is an our Lady of Lourdes one.
It is more for women. If any lady here wants it, PM me and
you can have it for free. It has been blessed, and has a prayer
on the cover it comes with. I hope it goes to a person who will use it
frequently :slight_smile:

[quote=edward_george]Does anyone know where I can find a rosary ring fairly cheap? I usually carry a rosary with me throughout the day but I’ve already broken beads on one of mine and the other one is kind of old and had some repairs done on it once already (those little chain links are a pain to piece back together). A ring would be easier to keep in my pocket.

-ACEGC
[/quote]

You can purchase one here, MandI Rosary treasures have very in expensive items, good shipping prices too!

stores.ebay.ca/M-AND-I-ROSARY-TREASURES_ROSARIES_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

[quote=Marilena]The Rosary ring I have is an our Lady of Lourdes one.
It is more for women. If any lady here wants it, PM me and
you can have it for free. It has been blessed, and has a prayer
on the cover it comes with. I hope it goes to a person who will use it
frequently :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Note: this OLO Rosary ring has been spoken for! :slight_smile:

[quote=edward_george]Does anyone know where I can find a rosary ring fairly cheap? I usually carry a rosary with me throughout the day but I’ve already broken beads on one of mine and the other one is kind of old and had some repairs done on it once already (those little chain links are a pain to piece back together). A ring would be easier to keep in my pocket.

-ACEGC
[/quote]

www.rosaryarmy.com will send you one FREE, they also have instructions for making rosaries :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.