A couple questions

Hey everyone.
A little while ago you all helped me very much. You told me I had scrupulosity and how to go about the right way of “fixing it.” Thank you so much! Now, unfortunately for me, due to my situation I wasn’t able to find a priest to guide me through this. But the scrupulosity was a manifestation of my OCD and that in itself is being treated. I feel so much better! But I have a few questions I was still hoping you could answer for me.
The first one is about doubts. In confession this morning, as I was receiving absolution, I was battling doubts. I started worrying that since I wasn’t paying attention to the words the absolution was not going to help me. I don’t really believe that anymore, but I’m still confused and hoping you could tell me if I really should ignore this.
I had serious doubts all through mass and battled them all the way up to communion, telling myself it was a devil trying to get me not to receive our Lord. Did I do the right thing? I kind of panicked as I was receiving, asking questions like “Do I really believe this is Jesus?” and battling those doubts until the Mass was about to end, when all I felt was exhausted.

Furthermore, yesterday (a Great Feast day for us in Melkite Greek Catholicism - in other words a Holy Day of Obligation) our priest told us we could go to the zoo despite having to pay to get in. We couldn’t go in the end, but then thought we might as well go today, on a Sunday, assuming that anything we could do on a Holy Day we could do on a Sunday. Is this alright? It was a major point of doubt for me during church, leading to thoughts such as “I’m just going to get through communion and deal with this later.” and things that I’m worrying were sins in themselves, like “if its a sin I can deal with it later.” :shrug: Obviously I’m very confused. :frowning:
The second is about taking the Lord’s name in vain. When it happens in your head, is it a mortal sin? Or do you actually have to say the word? On the way home from church my brother made a comment about “Catholic Rap” and the word “Christ” came into my mind, as would be sung by a rapper like Eminem. :frowning: It happens a lot, and I think it happens more often than naturally would because of the OCD (worrying so much about avoiding things that you actually do it is a big problem for me). So, long story short, is “taking the Lord’s name in vain” in your mind a mortal sin?

Thanks so much everyone!

Doubts don’t affect the validity of a sacrament. Not paying attention doesn’t affect the validity of a sacrament. They are not a sin. Random thoughts popping into your mind are not sinful, and do not constitute taking the Lord’s name in vain.

I realize that for a person with scrupulosity, it’s hard to let go; but do let go, and trust Jesus to handle these things. He does not require you to worry about them.

Your questions in order.

1. Sounds like you should ignore it. The priest is giving absolution not you! and just think of those who are dying who receive absolution in strange states of sickness!
  2. Those are just your ocd -scruple- temptation. You were battling it --it thus sounds like you did not consent fully to it in any case. Sounds like you should Ignore that too.
    Rather say “scruples dismissed” and just turn your attention to Mass–gently. And ignore the barking dogs.
  3. No problem paying to go to the zoo on a Sunday. The Church sees this as leisure. end of case. When you say ’ “if its a sin I can deal with it later.” I am not sure I know you what you mean (but do not scruple here). Where you saying " I do not see any mortal sins so am not going to worry for now?" As to Holy Communion --only mortal sin should keep you from it…just try as you can to prepare yourself and if you are not aware of a mortal sin that you committed …then make act of contrition and go.
  4. Again sounds like your ocd or scruples. A thought – NO matter what thought-- that pops in your head – is not any kind of sin if one does not knowingly consent to it. Period. In fact --trying to “not have the thought” will cause it to pop again into your head. Esp with your difficulties. So ignore them like a barking dog. Do not try to take the dog head on – it just gives him reason to bark more an louder. Better just keep walking.

Remember -for everyone --in order to commit a sin one must consent to it.
In order to commit a mortal sin one must have all three conditions present --grave matter, full knowledge and full consent.Period.

Feel free to email me privately if i can be of further help.

Kevin

PS --about the sunday zoo thing-- that is in unless the Melkites have added a dicipline here --which I doubt and you would know I would imagine.

and the other line should read have read:

As to Holy Communion --only mortal sin should keep you from it…just try as you can to prepare yourself and if you are NOT aware of a mortal sin that you committed …then make act of contrition and go.

Sorry for the typo1

PS --about the sunday zoo thing-- that is in unless the Melkites have added a dicipline here --which I doubt and you would know I would imagine.

and the other line should read have read:

As to Holy Communion --only mortal sin should keep you from it…just try as you can to prepare yourself and if you are NOT aware of a mortal sin that you committed …then make act of contrition and go.

Sorry for the typo!

How do I fix my post – it used to have an edit button but it has disappeared…???

I want to add that NOT in there…

so it reads –

any help?

Race12:
Myself i used to have a problem with “God-da-n it” ever time these words came to my mind i thought of a scripture verse from one of the gospels “God judges justly and not unfairly” after an intense all day struggling doing this i overcame using this word…

Perhaps when the thought of using Jesus’s name in vain occurs you could say “Jesus is holy” What i do when i hear my friends use His name in vain ,which usually occurs when they drop something or get hurt,i say He didn’t have anything to do with it.I have noticed that their usage of the Lord’s name in vain has diminsihed (at least in my presence)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.