A couple questions

1. Is there a good software program on the market that helps children with their cathecism?

2. Is it a sin to wear make-up?

3. If a movie has the gd word in it, should we stop watching? (I recently rented the Bounty Hunter and they were using the gd word left and right. it just made me cringe hearing this. The movie was really bad I don't recommend it.

Thanks everybody for your help.

[quote="Lucky_Scrunchy, post:1, topic:243334"]
1. Is there a good software program on the market that helps children with their cathecism?

1. Is it a sin to wear make-up?

2. If a movie has the gd word in it, should we stop watching? (I recently rented the Bounty Hunter and they were using the gd word left and right. it just made me cringe hearing this. The movie was really bad I don't recommend it.

Thanks everybody for your help.

[/quote]

1. Not sure if this is what you are looking for but there's a good online Catechism class for kids starting with Kindergarten. I used it with my kids when we lived overseas.

catechismclass.com/

1. No

2. I try to avoid movies with gratuitous profanity. Sometimes, it's important to the plot but mostly it's just added garbage. You have to use your judgement here.

1. EWTN Kids website is really good and fun.

2. No.

3. No, but I just find I am not all that into them usually. The excessive swearing is just such a turn off.

[/quote]

I haven't seen much in the way of sofware, but there are some good websites with games and puzzles that my daughters have enjoyed. If you let us know how old your kids are, we might be able to better point you in the right direction.

There's also a board game called Divinity that we've enjoyed as a family. We also have the Catholic version of Scattergories that's fun.

2. Is it a sin to wear make-up?

[/quote]

Only if you wear blue eyeshadow and have brown eyes.:p

3. If a movie has the gd word in it, should we stop watching?

[/quote]

Use your judgement. Gratuitous profanity and violence are not hallmarks of spiritually enriching media.

thank you all for helping me. I remember reading once that when Padre Pio was young, he was with some kids who used the Lord's name in vain, and he ran away as fast as he could. That image of him running away often pops up in my mind when I watch a movie that uses the Lord's name in a vulgar fashion. The Bounty Hunter had that word over and over and over, it was ridiculous and offensive.

As far as the makeup is concerned, I read that St. Teresa of Avila, before she became a nun, was at a masquerade, and having fun. The Lord appeared to her, as during his passion (I think the scrourging) and told her that vanity caused him these wounds. So it just made me think about the makeup issue.:angel1:

I have heard about this device, there may be others, it filters your TV so you don't have to worry about filthy words. Also you can set up your TV so that stuff that's 14 and above has to be unlocked.

TV Guardian

I see that doesn't work with HD, but this does.

Clearplay

If I hear the word GD on any show, it goes off. I think "South Park" is actually funny at times, although very profane, but I can't watch it because they say GD all the time.

I appreciate all the feedback… thanks so much!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.