'A crucifix is now just a fashion statement and has lost religious meaning': Justin Welby says the purpose of wearing a cross has been lost

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2515389/A-crucifix-just-fashion-statement-lost-religious-meaning-Justin-Welby-says-purpose-wearing-cross-lost.html

Archbishop of Canterbury says the sign has been trivialised
He said it was once a 'badge of shame' which is now popular
Christian leader made claims in a foreword of a new book

For many cases I'd have to agree with him.

Agreed. There are so many people who use crosses or crucifixes as imagery simply because it looks "cool" or is instantly recognizable. This includes numerous celebrities who clearly don't take the Man on the Cross seriously at all. :(

Even the crucifix with the corpus on it?

I think the Catholic cross is still better preserved than the generic cross. I don't think nearly as many people wear a cross with the corpus as a fashion statement. When I was an evangelical Christian the Catholic cross with the body of Christ hanging on it seemed kind of... unbecoming. Of course, that is the point, isn't it?

Most fashion crosses are just a random crossbar cross, with perhaps a weird, creative design to it.

This statement is too broad.

I agree. But Jesus told us that we wouldn’t be liked because of what He taught us. I think we have to be doing something right.

The crucifix has become trivialized, but we don’t wear it for others. We wear the crucifix for ourselves. We wear it to remind us of Christ’s love for us, the fact that He would go through that for sinners like us. Just thinking about that makes me feel loved.

It depends. If as someone of faith, you see a crucifix worn by someone you perceive to not be reverent with disdain for that person instead of taking it as an unexpected opportunity to bring the sacrifice of Christ to the forefront of your mind, then yes, it has been trivialized...but by you, and not just the person wearing it as a fashion statement.

Well, I see someone who is honored to be part of the church of Christ when I observe someone wearing a cross or crucifix. I often compliment the medal. It's like I have an instant connection with that person. So folks, wear your crosses and crucifixes with reverence, and ignore the naysayers! :D Rob

[quote="TK421, post:4, topic:346579"]
Even the crucifix with the corpus on it?

I think the Catholic cross is still better preserved than the generic cross. I don't think nearly as many people wear a cross with the corpus as a fashion statement. When I was an evangelical Christian the Catholic cross with the body of Christ hanging on it seemed kind of... unbecoming. Of course, that is the point, isn't it?

Most fashion crosses are just a random crossbar cross, with perhaps a weird, creative design to it.

[/quote]

:thumbsup: I agree.

I think this very thought at least once a day, usually. One of the latest trends, here in the U.S., at least, is a pair of black spandex pants, covered in crosses. It has got to be one of the most tasteless fashion statements of all time.

As for people not wearing the corpus, I would have to beg to differ. There is also a trend (at least where I live) of some youth wearing rosaries. The behavior of most of those I have seen suggests they're not wearing it for religious purposes, either.

It's a reason why I wear my crucifix under my shirt.

[quote="RACJ, post:8, topic:346579"]
Well, I see someone who is honored to be part of the church of Christ when I observe someone wearing a cross or crucifix. I often compliment the medal. It's like I have an instant connection with that person. So folks, wear your crosses and crucifixes with reverence, and ignore the naysayers! :D Rob

[/quote]

I agree that to many wearing the cross, it means nothing. But I also totally agree with the above quote. I usually say a quick prayer for the person, compliment their cross, and hope that it leads to a conversation about Our Lord.

I had a friend who worked at McDonalds and wore her cross every day. One day a customer asked her what the cross meant and she was able to tell them about Jesus. So we never know what opportunities the Lord may give us.

The Cross has become a piece of costume jewellery in some parts of society. It appears in different colours, on clothing, in glitter etc. Why is this happening?

The Cross has become a piece of costume jewellery in some parts of society. It appears in different colours, on clothing, in glitter etc. Why is this happening?:blush:

The Cross has become a piece of costume jewellery in some parts of society. It appears in different colours, on clothing, in glitter etc. Why is this happening?:confused:

The Cross has become a piece of costume jewellery in some parts of society. It appears in different colours, on clothing, in glitter etc. Why is this happening?:o

The Cross has become a piece of costume jewellery in some parts of society. It appears in different colours, on clothing, in glitter etc. Why is this happening?:shrug:

The Cross has become a piece of costume jewellery in some parts of society. It appears in different colours, on clothing, in glitter etc. Why is this happening?:(

The Cross has become a piece of costume jewellery in some parts of society. It appears in different colours, on clothing, in glitter etc. Why is this happening?:confused::eek:

The Cross has become a piece of costume jewellery in some parts of society. It appears in different colours, on clothing, in glitter etc. Why is this happening?:eek::confused::(

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.