A Different Country

Is it possible for an American seminarian to be sent to a different country to be a Priest? For example, Spain, since they are in dire need of Priests. If so, how would one make this happen? Any requirements?

• Thanks

Jesuits are sent all over the world.

Maybe if you were a priest of a religious order. A diocesan priest will stay in that diocese for life, unless he eventually joins a religious order (If you become a diocesan priest and then feel called to a religious order, the bishop is supposed to let you join - as reluctantly as he may do so.)

Edit: If you want to become a priest, your diocese or the religious order that you are already in will sponsor your education, if they feel you have a true vocation. So as a priest for a diocese, they may move you inbetween different parishes, but you would not be shipped to say, New Orleans, if you are ordained a priest for the Diocese of Baltimore.

Edit: That being said! In very rare cases, your bishop may decide to make you a priest in a different diocese.

The bishop only has jurisdiction in such matters within his own diocese. Now a diocesan priest can offer to work in another diocese for a set period of time and after some years may even be allowed to join that diocese but that would have to be agreed with his own bishop and the bishop of the place

For a diocesan priest I would think not but for a religious priest it is definitely possible. One of the priests at my old parish was a religious priest who had been sent to us from China by his congregation.

Well, a diocesan priest can also request of his Bishop to be sent to another country. Also, the Bishop may indeed SEND a priest to another country maybe as a missionary or traveller?

My bad, that was actually a guess - I knew there had to be a way for Catholics to have come to America, say. Anyway, really stretching what I wrote, the bishop of Rome could send you to another diocese! :wink:

[quote="Jacob18, post:7, topic:283167"]
My bad, that was actually a guess - I knew there had to be a way for Catholics to have come to America, say. Anyway, really stretching what I wrote, the bishop of Rome could send you to another diocese! ;)

[/quote]

We just recently received a few priests from Africa into our diocese - lovely, orthodox Priests :)

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.