A different take on the divorced/remarried debate

There are surely many catholics out there who don’t even know Church teaching on the Eucharist. I know this to be a fact since my sister is one of them. She married a divorced man in a civil ceremony, yet I’ve observed her numerous times receiving the Eucharist, usually at funerals or Christmas (she only attends Mass on such occasions).

The problem with my sister and many other catholics is that they’ve been poorly instructed in the catholic faith. They are virtually oblivious to what the Church teaches. So no matter what this synod resolves or doesn’t, these non practicing catholics will still be in the dark regarding the faith. They don’t take religion seriously. If they happen to attend Mass, they will simply go with the crowd and receive Communion because they feel its their right to do so.

I am in total agreement with what you mention on your second paragraph. A huge part of the problem is lack of knowledge. My own husband who is a practicing catholic complains that he was never properly taught the faith. But I also think the problem starts at home. Unfortunately too many parents just don’t transmit the faith the way it should to their children. Many parents expect CCd, the priest at mass and others to teach the faith to our children. That is wrong. We all should put bigger emphasis in making the home the primary church and to transmit children our faith.

The problem is that these days, too many parents don’t know the faith either, so they can’t transmit it in the home. It’s easy to say, “They’re adults, they are responsible for figuring it out,” but many don’t realize that there is much to know. If you don’t know you’re ignorant, it’s hard to learn. Also, if you don’t know you’re ignorant, it’s hard to teach children. (“Nemo dat quod non habet” (you can’t give what you don’t have), in the philosophical not legal sense.)

–Jen

In my experience teaching 8th grade Catechism and preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation, this is more often than not the case.

I suggested to our DRE that the parents attend one class each month.Then the parents can learn the orthodox teachings, and we can all be consistent.

This is the first year that I have been able to get parents’ email addresses. I am now sending them my complete lesson plan each week so that they know what is being taught in the classroom.

Good for you!!! That’s a terrific idea :slight_smile:

Yes some great points made here. Parents must transmit the faith but also, religious instruction by the Church/catholic schools is deficient. I went to a catholic school K-8 grade during the 70s. I don’t remember much of substance being taught by the teachers. I learned catholicism on my own in my 20s/30s.

One very profound truth I’ve learned in trying to communicate my Faith to the children is that Faith can not be taught, because it is a "gift of grace from God through Jesus Christ,’ and only through Jesus Christ. We can, and must teach our kids the truths of our Faith, in other words inform their consciences, indoctrinate them, but don’t expect them to convert automatically to the Faith as a result of all the education, even by the reception of the Sacraments. To do so is to demand from them what they can not give until they have an encounter with Jesus Christ, like turning from sin to Christ, (the influence of grace). I have experienced much frustration, until I learned this truth. We don’t convert but we do point the way to Jesus who does the converting. We also must give good example and live our Faith, we become credible witnesses to our Faith. Upon conversion,then the graces we received through the sacraments become effective in our lives. We can’t process anyone into the faith, Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Light, this is why evangelization is so need , that Jesus is the Good News!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.