A 'Eucharistic Flash Mob'? Liturgical Abuse or not?

youtube.com/watch?v=cZ5aYoSr3Hg

I would love to be apart of such a Eucharistic Adoration..

But this video describes a Capuchin Priest who puts a Monstrance with the Host in a bag w/ stole.. carrys it out to a public circle and then extends it outward for a time while another Capuchin is describing Jesus.

Then the Capuchin blesses everybody and then puts it back in the bag...

Is this liturgical abuse/Eucharistic abuse?

Thank you.

[quote="JD27076, post:1, topic:323836"]

But this video describes a Capuchin Priest who puts a Monstrance with the Host in a bag w/ stole.. carrys it out to a public circle and then extends it outward for a time while another Capuchin is describing Jesus.

Thank you.

[/quote]

No it's not. It is a wonderful witness.

It's in the same category of the type of mission work the Capuchins have always done.

There were threads on this a while ago.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=574584&highlight=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DcZ5aYoSr3Hg

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=574441&highlight=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DcZ5aYoSr3Hg

When you said “flash mob” I thought you meant everyone was going to start dancing. xP

I can’t speak on the subject with authority, I don’t think it’s disrespectful. The monks obviously planned this out and I’ll bet they considered that question.

Thank you for sharing this video, what an amazing thing and witness to the Eucharist. I think this should be done more often as a way of witnessing.

[quote="JD27076, post:1, topic:323836"]

Thank you.

[/quote]

When you said "put the monstrance in a bag" I thought I'd see something like a grocery sack. What the video actually shows is a carry container, decorated with some type of design in gold, in which the monstrance has been placed to bring it to the public area.

I thought this was beautiful and moving.

Oh my gosh! What an amazing list of Jesus through the whole Bible! And the speech at the end was powerful!

Did you see how the different people reacted? Some who weren’t kneeling or doing the sign of the cross nevertheless bowed when the monstrance was lifted high…were they non Catholics?

And some people seemed to make fun. There was a group of 3 girls with two seeming to make fun while the third was rapt.

Incredible!

Liturgical abuse? Of course not. They obviously asked permission to do this.

All of that being said, this was an amazing video.

Did Christ not walk amidst the people, regardless of any danger, as long as He would by His presence bring forth God's kingdom? And did He not witness some being incredulous, some being indifferent, and others saying: "if He is the Christ, people would leave everything and follow Him" (words fulfilled by the presence of the humble friars who have done just that), and others kneeling before Him after just one word, one glance?

http://forums.catholic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17029&stc=1&d=1366603191

Thanks for sharing that video... That was great to watch :thumbsup:

[quote="littlenothing, post:6, topic:323836"]
Oh my gosh! What an amazing list of Jesus through the whole Bible! And the speech at the end was powerful!

Did you see how the different people reacted? Some who weren't kneeling or doing the sign of the cross nevertheless bowed when the monstrance was lifted high..were they non Catholics?

And some people seemed to make fun. There was a group of 3 girls with two seeming to make fun while the third was rapt.

Incredible!

[/quote]

The whole thing was staged unfortunately. Only a few passers by who were not a part of it knelt and joined in adoration. Everybody else was a part of the performance. I read this on the blog by one of the friars. The link to the post is available on the youtube channel. I was very dissappointed when I read that.

Not abuse at all.

Here is the text of the reading:

Jesus Christ is in every book of the Bible.

In Genesis, Jesus is the Seed of the Woman.
In Exodus, He is the Passover Lamb.
In Leviticus, He is the Priest, the Altar, and the Lamb of Sacrifice.
In Numbers, He is a Pillar of Cloud by day and the Pillar of Fire by Night.
In Deuteronomy, Jesus is the Prophet, like Moses.
Come and kneel before Him now.

In Joshua, Jesus is the Captain of Our Salvation.
In Judges, He is our Judge and Lawgiver.
In Ruth, He is our kinsman Redeemer.
In 1 and 2 Samuel, He is our Trusted Prophet.
In Kings and Chronicles, He is our Reigning King.
In Ezra, He is the rebuilder of the broken down walls of human life.

In Nehemiah, Jesus is our Restorer.
In Tobit, He is the Messenger of New Life.
In Judith, He is Weakness Turned into Victory.
In Esther, He is our Advocate.
In 1 and 2 Maccabees, He is the Leader who dies for God’s law.

In Job, Jesus is our Everliving Redeemer.
In Psalms, He is our Shepherd.
In Proverbs, He is our Wisdom.
In Ecclesiastes, He is our Hope of Resurrection.
In the Song of Songs, He is our Loving Bridegroom.
In Wisdom, He is the emanation of God’s thought.
In Ecclesiasticus (Sirach), Jesus is our security.

In Isaiah, Jesus is the Suffering Servant.
In Jeremiah, He is the Righteous Branch.
In Lamentations, He is our Weeping Prophet.
In Baruch, He is the Mercy from the Eternal One.
In Ezekiel, He is the One with the Right to Rule.
In Daniel, Jesus is the Fourth Man in the fiery furnace.

In Hosea, Jesus is the Faithful Husband forever married to the sinner.
In Joel, He is the One who Baptizes with the Holy Spirit of Fire.
In Amos, He is the Restorer of Justice.
In Obadiah, He is Mighty to Save.
In Jonah, He is our great foreign missionary.
In Micah, He is the feet of one who brings Good News.

In Nahum, Jesus is our stronghold in the day of trouble.
In Habakkuk, He is God my Savior.
In Zephaniah, He is the King of Israel.
In Haggai, He is the signet ring.
In Zechariah, He is our Humble King riding on a colt.
In Malachi, Jesus is the Son of Righteousness.

In Matthew, Jesus is God with us.
In Mark, He is the Son of God.
In Luke, He is the Son of Mary, feeling what you feel.
In John, He is the Bread of Life.
In Acts, Jesus is the Savior of the World.

In Romans, Jesus is the Righteousness of God.
In 1 Corinthians, He is the Resurrection.
In 2 Corinthians, He is the God of all comfort.
In Galatians, He is your liberty. He sets you free.
In Ephesians, Jesus is the Head of the Church.

In Philippians, Jesus is your Joy.
In Colossians, He is your Completeness.
In 1 and 2 Thessalonians, He is your Hope.
In 1 Timothy, He is your Faith.
In 2 Timothy, Jesus is your Stability.

In Titus, Jesus is Truth.
In Philemon, He is your Benefactor.
In Hebrews, He is your Perfection.
In James, He is the Power behind your Faith.
In 1 Peter, He is your Example.
In 2 Peter, Jesus is your Purity.

In 1 John, Jesus is your Life.
In 2 John, He is your Pattern.
In 3 John, He is your Motivation.
In Jude, He is the Foundation of your Faith.

In Revelation, Jesus is your Coming King.

He is:
The First and the Last.
The Beginning and the End.
He is the Keeper of Creation and the Creator of All.
He is the Architect of the Universe and the Manager of All Time.
He Always Was, He Always Is, and He Always Will Be Unmoved, Unchanged, Undefeated, and Never Undone.

He was bruised and brought healing.
He was pierced and eased pain.
He was persecuted and brought freedom.
He was dead and brought life.
He is risen and brings power.
He reigns and brings peace.

The world can’t understand Him.
The armys can’t defeat Him.
Schools can’t explain Him and the leaders can’t ignore Him.
Herod couldn’t kill Him.
The Pharisees couldn’t confuse Him.
The people couldn’t hold him. [This is where the clapping begins]
Nero couldn’t crush Him.
Hitler couldn’t silence Him.
The New Age can’t replace Him.
And Oprah can’t explain Him away.

He is Life, Love, Longevity, and Lord.
He is Goodness, Kindness, Gentleness and God.
He is Holy, Righteous, Mighty, Powerful, and Pure.
His Ways our Right, His Words Eternal, His Rules Unchanging, and His Mind is on me.

He is My Redeemer, He is My Savior, He is My God, He is My Priest, He is My Joy, He is My Comfort, He is My Lord, and He rules my life.

[quote="Contra_Mundum, post:9, topic:323836"]
The whole thing was staged unfortunately. Only a few passers by who were not a part of it knelt and joined in adoration. Everybody else was a part of the performance. I read this on the blog by one of the friars. The link to the post is available on the youtube channel. I was very dissappointed when I read that.

[/quote]

Well - the "whole thing" wasn't staged. It was indeed Christ among the people, and we are still watching.

[quote="Contra_Mundum, post:9, topic:323836"]

[/quote]

If only one person not part of the Flash Mob knelt, it was a success.

Building faith is the whole point.

It has “We’ve recently found out that we should have asked the bishop as well; but we didn’t know that at the time, so we got on with the task of organising the event.” (At acertainhope.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/making-of-eucharistic-flash-mob.html .)

So without this permission the liturgical books were not followed. Holy Communion and the Worship of the Eucharist Outside of Mass has:

“2. EUCHARISTIC PROCESSIONS
101. In processions in which the eucharist is carried through the streets solemnly with singing, the Christian people give public witness to faith and to their devotion toward this sacrament.
But it is for the diocesan bishop to decide on both the advisability of such processions in today’s conditions and on the time, place, and plan for them that will ensure their being carried out with decorum and without any loss of reverence toward this sacrament.”

I’m confused.

I didn’t see any loss of reverence for the Eucharist, did you?

I saw the exact opposite.

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=8040310&postcount=23

second to last paragraph especially

John, this was not a procession. Furthermore, the friars had both their superior's and the priest's permission. If the bishop was to be consulted, that was up to their superiors to point out. They did what they had to do under obedience, and the resulting public adoration was very touching.

I have seen videos of public processions of the Blessed Sacrament and it is a very different scenario. As different as, say, the Sermon of the Mount would be from Christ walking through the streets of a town. In a procession, Christ leads and everyone follows. Others get a chance to catch a glimpse of Him, perhaps. In this event, Christ was being lifted up and attracting all to Him. Whoever wished was free to kneel, or even simply turn his head and look at Him for a while, listening to the wonderful living words being spoken for the greater glory of God. Nobody in that place was left untouched by what had taken place. Furthermore, there was no focus on a particular group, no focus on individuals, it was entirely Christocentric: it was all about Christ, a triumphant Christ.

I consider myself very attached to tradition, and yet this simple video of what two humble friars did for a handful of minutes on a random city has meant something for me, it has made a difference in ways that I can't quite express. I am sure everyone who watched it and enjoyed it feels in a similar way, perhaps unable to express exactly what was so extraordinary about this.

As blessed John Paul II once wrote:

Do not be afraid to go out into the streets and public places like the first apostles, who preached Christ and the good news of salvation in the squares of cities, towns, and villages. This is no time to be ashamed of the Gospel. It is the time to preach it from the rooftops.

Amen! :signofcross:

[quote="Saints_Alive, post:10, topic:323836"]
Here is the text of the reading:

[/quote]

Thank you!

It looks like the priest didn't organised it well enough and he didn't use a table for an alter with candles . If it was a catholic county you would have everyone knelling down

Absolutely beautiful.

I'm sure those who were not part of the arranged 'mob' were already devout catholics (or at least some Christian denomination). The big advantage I see in this is not for those who are passing by who will kneel, but for those who do not recognise our Lord, or who have fallen away from him (and who will not kneel). This acts as a wonderful example to them of the devotion and emotions that can come from being one with the Lord; if the cards that were being given out got even one person into mass then it was a success.

All the best

Martin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.