A Farfetched Hypothetical Scenario

I’ve been wondering, of late, how I would react to receiving the empirical evidence of God’s existence which tends to prevent me from becoming religious.

How would I react if, say, an angel descended into my apartment and informed me, “It’s all true. No, seriously, we aren’t messing around. Get with the program already, we’ve got a plan for you and you’re really mucking it up.”

I’m not sure. There’d need to be some serious reexamination of my worldview, obviously.

What I’m wondering is how you guys would respond to a similar scenario. What would you do if something happened to provide clear and obvious evidence that your theological worldview was simply incorrect?

I’m not talking about atheism, necessarily. What would you do if, let’s say, Hermes appeared to you and explained that the Greek gods are the real ones, and they’re really unhappy with everyone worshipping that Jesus guy?

Would this affect your worldview at all?

This kind of DID happen to me. But it was the Holy Spirit. And the upshot was that I had to become Catholic.

“If we or an angel from heaven should come to you preaching another gospel, let him be cursed” Gal. 1:8. That’s how I’d react.

Do you honestly think people haven’t made such claims about receiving divine revelations that contradict Christianity? Ever heard of Islam or Mormonism?

[quote=mercygate]This kind of DID happen to me. But it was the Holy Spirit. And the upshot was that I had to become Catholic.
[/quote]

I’ve heard this sort of thing from a number of Christians. If it were ever to happen to me, I can honestly say I’m not quite sure how I’d react.

So far, though, it hasn’t.

[quote=Della]Do you honestly think people haven’t made such claims about receiving divine revelations that contradict Christianity? Ever heard of Islam or Mormonism?
[/quote]

Well… yeah. What I’m wondering is what you’d do if you were the one who recieved that hypothetical revelation.

[quote=SamCA]Well… yeah. What I’m wondering is what you’d do if you were the one who recieved that hypothetical revelation.
[/quote]

I’d rebuke it in the name of Christ, my Lord, and tell it to leave me alone.

[quote=SamCA]What would you do if something happened to provide clear and obvious evidence that your theological worldview was simply incorrect?

I’m not talking about atheism, necessarily. What would you do if, let’s say, Hermes appeared to you and explained that the Greek gods are the real ones, and they’re really unhappy with everyone worshipping that Jesus guy?

Would this affect your worldview at all?
[/quote]

As a non-Catholic, I have a few questions:

(1) How would I know that this guy is really “Hermes”?
(2) Why would I care if the Greek gods are unhappy? Do I have to cook them dinner, too?
(3) As the Buddha said, all gods are impermanent. Hermes was born, and Hermes will die. Go beyond the gods. Find That Which even the gods know not.

Hmmm. If say, some Hindu god appeared to me or even if someone claiming to be Jesus appeared claiming the Church was the whore of Babylon, I’d figure it was the devil trying to deceive me. I if it really was Jesus, by grace I would know. Then I would listen.

How do I know this creature is really supernatural?

If he isn’t, then his claim is false. If he is --then he’s a devil, and I reject him utterly.
Jesus is Lord! :gopray2:

We are told to “test” the spirits to see if they come from God…If the spirit is bringing me anything that is not the Gospel of Jesus Christ, if it does not, cannot, say that Jesus is Lord, then it is an evil spirit. I rebuke it in the name of Jesus, & it will have to go away.
The problem with all these so called “revelations” from supposed “angels” is that they invariably lead people away from the God of the Bible.
Now, people should know better than to follow them, but there is usually some kind of supposed “pay off”–I mean, satan offers all kinds of lures, but the problem is that all of satan’s apples have worms in them. All of them.
Which, if you read the book of Genesis, you see that this has been humanity’s problem right from the very start!! And so it continues…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.