A female God

A family member started going to church, a nondenominational church. She was telling me how they believe there is a female God along with the God we know and love.
She mentioned parts of the bible that indicate there is a female God. I found a blog that talks about it nathanschneider.info/2008/08/do-you-believe-in-mother-god/

How does the catholic church responds to this?

One word…WRONG!

Hi!

…hollowood made a movie about a Believing mother teaching her children to pray to God; then plot of the movie demonstrated how God does not exists so the mother begins to teach her children to pray to ghost/spirits that “according” to the movie’s plot do exist… so are we to believe in the spiritualism of “the others?”

It is the same for the various theological teachings that are out there which are based on “feel good” or “my way” principles.

Here’s what they miss:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]45 Yes, it is I, Yahweh, who brought you out of Egypt to be your God: you therefore must be holy because I am holy.”‘

11 “I will set up my dwelling among you, and I will not cast you off. 12 I will live in your midst; I will be your God and you shall be my people.

(Leviticus 11:45 and 26:11-12)
Can there be any misunderstanding on the relationship of God and His people?

…and what does Jesus Reveal?:

54 Jesus answered: ‘If I were to seek my own glory that would be no glory at all; my glory is. conferred by the Father, by the one of whom you say, “He is our God”

(St. Matthew 8:54)
…is Jesus not explicit enough? Yahweh God is Known as the Father, and the Son, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit–each time the reference that God Himself Reveals or chooses is that of a male persona.

…here’s how the Apostles thought about the Holy Spirit:

4 There is a variety of gifts but always the same Spirit; …11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, who distributes different gifts to different people just as he chooses

. (1 Corinthians 12:4-11)
…so, if Yahweh God chooses to Reveal Himself in a male persona, who are we to redefine His chosen gender just because we “feel” that we know better?

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

I know sometimes the Holy Spirit is looked at as the more “feminine” side of the Lord but make NO mistake there is not one part of the Lord that is a woman. But, He did create woman, and He loves them, they were with Him till the end at the cross, at His tomb on the third day…He has made great saints out of women who love Him. But no He is in no way a woman.

Well another strange answer I can give you on this :

How do we know ? we do not know how God looks like, we do not know if He has a gender !!??

At least that is how I believe it…:smiley:

You could explain that God contains male and female characteristics that are contained in the Father. If you say that though, they might not know what you mean by “Father”.

You could say to them that nature tends to be thought of as female - Mother Nature - but this is a feminine natural power, within time. Outside of time, God cannot be understood as being male or female in human terms or rationale, because if a god, or God, exists, then both genders have to come from a deity that contains both the male and female, though not being summed up by them.

They have to prove that there are, not the other way around. We have the word of God who has revealed Himself to us, not the other way around.

Other beliefs have been striving to find God. But in no direct way did God reveal Himself to these other religions. They remain in the abstract.

Hi!

…well, we know God has no gender:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]24a God is spirit,

(St. John 4:24a)
…but that’s not the problem; the problem is not Believing God when He Himself uses a male persona to describe Himself: Father, Son, He…

While it is wonderful to dream and be whimsical… it is erroneous to believe that we can determine, for God, what He should be/look like in our minds and in His!

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Well said, :thumbsup:

There is ONE God. He embodies all genders. The end.

The Second Person of the Trinity is “em-bodied” as a male. He pre-exists from all eternity as pure Spirit.

God, as Pure Spirit, has no gender, since this exists only in relation to a body.

The Holy Spirit has been described by different saints to have a motherly role to us in many ways, but this is purely a simile.

BLASPHEMOUS! This is polytheism! This “church” you’re going to is NOT Christian. The church you went sounds to me like a cult.

Another byproduct of Solo Scriptura, and far from the last. I imagine as we move forward in the centuries, the innovations from self-interpretation of scripture will become increasingly colorful.

It is entirely false, of course.

Jesus tells us he is our Father is heaven - we can be sure what he has said is true

Who truly knows til we are face to face? God could even transcend gender. Jesus called Peter (or his profession of faith) a rock (depending on whether one comes with a Catholic or Protestant perspective) but no one believes he was saying Peter was made of granite. In Luke 13 Jesus said he often wanted to gather as a hen. In Matt 13 Jesus says heaven was like yeast that a woman mixed with flour. And the men who wrote in those times of course were going to use the masculine references or they might have been ignored by that society. The times in which something is written can play a role.

I will say it again Jesus who came from the Father and is united with the Father tells us he is our Father in heaven. Who else has seen the face of God.Moses only saw God back as he passed by.

Are we going to bring this gender issue even on God? Huge problem in the world right now - we define feminine right now as anyone who wears lipstick and a dress.

Changing that would be making God in a God of OUR own imagination and would be a false God and breaking the commandment and spreading that idea would be even worse.

In Jewish (and Christian) theology, the Shekinah is the spirit of G-d, which, according to Kabbala, is regarded as feminine.

Since Judaism does not believe in Jesus as the Son of G-d, the former is not linked to the notion of a masculine Person of G-d. I realize that Christianity also considers G-d to be spirit, not flesh; but G-d Incarnate does assume a masculine form.

Of course, the notion of a gendered G-d is itself rather absurd within the Abrahamic religions. Still, if we do anthropomorphize G-d as a feminine being, that might tilt our conception of G-d further in the direction of a nurturing and merciful mother rather than a stern and just father, in keeping with our own gender stereotypes.

Well, over and over, the Bible uses the word “God” (not “goddess”) and Father (not mother). The Blessed Virgin Mary is the mother image.

NO.

God is not Baphomet.

God chose to assume the masculine form to be on earth among men. That doesn’t mean He is limited to that form. It’s just the one he chose for the particular purpose.

Of course, the notion of a gendered G-d is itself rather absurd within the Abrahamic religions. Still, if we do anthropomorphize G-d as a feminine being, that might tilt our conception of G-d further in the direction of a nurturing and merciful mother rather than a stern and just father, in keeping with our own gender stereotypes.

I note that you say “our own gender stereotypes”. This whole discussion is about humans trying to understand God in terms of their own models, genders, stereotypes, and other concepts we can understand. God is actually something beyond our understanding and beyond all those concepts and boxes we try to put Him in. God did us the favor of assuming human form as a man in the person of Jesus and walking among us, but that was God bringing Himself down to our level.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.