A few of my favorite things!

So what is your favorite thing about your faith and why?
Everyone has something they love.
If you’re a convert what do you miss from your past belief system?

Interacting with God in a real way through the sacraments, especially the one-flesh union with Christ in the Eucharist.

Music (next to the Sacraments and Word of God, of course!).

Everything about it - the ancient liturgies, the hymns, the composers (J.S. Bach, W.F. Bach, C.P.E. Bach, G.F. Handel, Beethoven, Felix Mendelssohn, Michael Praetorius, Paul Gerhardt, Catherine Winkworth, Lina Sandel Berg, etc. - all Lutheran!), the powerful use of organ, brass and strings, and most of all - the clear reflection of Law and Gospel in the poetry of the songs.

If ever there was a religion with a monopoly on music, it would be Lutheranism. :smiley:

I do miss religious music that isn’t death metal. :stuck_out_tongue: (I’ve listened to some folk music and I do like that)

Here are a few things off the top of my head:

[LIST]
*]I love knowing with unshakeable confidence that the Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ beginning with Peter, the rock (cf. Mt. 16:18).
*]That in and through the Catholic Church, everything that Jesus intended for me as necessary for my salvation is found in its fullness.
*]That through my formal membership in the Catholic Church, I am under the watchful care of the Vicar of Christ whom Jesus placed over His flock here on earth (cf. Jn. 21).
*]That because of the infallible teaching authority of the Catholic Church, I am “not tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching (Eph. 4:14)”
*]That as a member of the Catholic Church I am united through the communion of saints to all of those believers who have gone before and who will come after me.
[/LIST]

If you’re a convert what do you miss from your past belief system?

Well, I was a Christian before, so for me, it was simply a matter of going from one amount of truth to a greater amount of truth.

Wow. So what we mostly miss / dislike is music? I wasn’t going to go there (although I would gladly trade Bob Hurd for the afore- mentioned Lutherans). I was going to go for the church supper angle. I really do miss the pot luck suppers of my youth, replete with salty Virginia ham, fried chicken, pole beans with bacon. What do we have in my new faith? Stinky fish fries, oyster (?!) roasts, Italian spaghetti dinners. No wonder Cathoics serve wine (my Protestant church did not), How else to choke down those oysters?

Well the fish fries are pretty awesome :smiley:

Daily Mass; Knowing where I live I can attend Mass and hear the Word of God and receive the Eucharist every day of the week.
Mary.

I am a convert. The whole reason I became a Catholic was because of the teachings. My soul was hungry for the facts and I received them. That is my most favorite thing.
The second favorite thing is the Sacraments. I love the fact that I am part of something so much bigger than I am. I am very humbled by the Sacraments.
The third favorite thing is the depth of friendships that I am a part of. The love of the friendships that have become like family.
There are more but these are my most favorite ones.

My favorite thing about my Catholic faith is that I belong to the Church Christ established two- thousand years ago. I am a convert to Catholicism from no other religion. I never had faith before. I was introduced to the Catholic Church by good folks in Recovery. I am celebrating 13 years of sobriety and 9 years of being baptized in the Catholic Church. God bless and peace.
Marty:thumbsup:

♪"White copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,
Brown paper packages tied up with strings;
These are a few of my favorite things!"♪♫

♪"Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels,
Doorbells and sleighbells and schitzel with noodles,
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings,
These are a few of my favorite things!!"♪♫

:rotfl:
Thanks for acknowledging the reference.

:smiley:

Being a singer and music lover myself, I couldn’t possibly miss it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1.Real Presence and knowing the Father, His Son, and the Holy Spirit and having God in my life.
2. see # 1
3. Coffee hour and the fact that we all cared to know each other. Well. I am sure the former parish of my conversion intent is an anomaly.

Disclaimer. I am not Catholic yet but I am catholic. :smiley:

This and lots of what others have said but also the Rosary and OUR Blessed Mother and Jesus, OUR Lord, and God the Father and the Holy Spirit and Saint Joseph and all the angels and saints…

Some of my favorites about Catholicism include:

1. Actually worshipping God in Mass
  2. Access to Mary, the Mother of God
  3. God is not a respecter of persons
  4. Ability to go to an Adoration Chapel and be in the presence of God

Things I miss from Mormonism? Absolutely nothing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.