A few questions/concerns

I want to be a priest of the FSSP. Obviously I have other, spiritual and vocational concerns but this thread is more about my practical concerns.

I’ll get straight to it, shall I!

**1.**I have yet to be confirmed

It’s horrible. I’m almost 21 years old. In my home town, I was considered too young to start classes with whoever was doing them at the beginning of the cycle (was 15 at the time). The next time the opportunity came my dad was unsure of the orthodoxy of the classes so we left it. Now at university I took classes for 2 years… then when the time came last year my otherwise wonderful and orthodox Catechist forgot to tell me the date and where to go for confirmation, so I missed it and the Bishop only visits the area once every 2 years. So now, I am left unconfirmed and it a state of flux as it were.

**2.**Academic year finishes in November/begins January here - so for 8 months or so I will have nothing to do

I live in the Southern Hemisphere were dates are different for schooling etc. So because I am still in University just finishing off post-graduate education I will have to wait 8 months for the academic year in America to start in August 2012 [because I will be applying to the FSSP Seminary in America]. In between that time I am not sure what to do and I am also scared I ‘lose’ my vocation and get cold feet as it were.

**3.**My Mom doesn’t know that this is what I want to do and I am not sure that she’ll agree/pay/understand

My Mom is not Catholic, nor religious in any sense. She thinks that Catholicism holds me back from all the “fun things people my age do”. She also sees me as her golden boy who will make lots of money and be successful as an academic (which is what I have told her is my plan, I study Philosophy). She might also be extremely angered that I “wasted” 4 years doing a degree only to dedicate myself to God. My Mom is very well off and I live a luxurious lifestyle even as a student which I am grateful for, but this isn’t for me I don’t think, I just want God, it’s all I want. My dad can’t afford to send me anywhere either. This is just speculation though and she might actually understand and be happy for me.

1) Is there any way you could visit another parish? Even if it is a distance to go, if you have already done the preparation then you would only have to attend the actual mass.

2) Find something to do in the gap. Get a temporary job, do voluntary work - linked to the Church if possible. You will have plenty of time to give to the church in that meantime.

3) You need to talk to your mother and have an open discussion with her. Explain you are thankful for the privileges she has given you but that this is what you want and what will make you happy.

You need to direct these questions to the vocations director for your diocese. He needs to give you direction regarding the Confirmation issue. He also has experience with those touchy family discussions. Many diocese have service or mission opportunities for those discerning the priesthood and this would be a great way to spend you gap time. I believe he is the one that would be recommending you to the seminary anyway so the earlier you foster a good relationship with him, the better.

[quote="Corki, post:3, topic:242159"]
You need to direct these questions to the vocations director for your diocese. He needs to give you direction regarding the Confirmation issue. He also has experience with those touchy family discussions. Many diocese have service or mission opportunities for those discerning the priesthood and this would be a great way to spend you gap time. I believe he is the one that would be recommending you to the seminary anyway so the earlier you foster a good relationship with him, the better.

[/quote]

There is none in my diocese. Notice my location. I have mentioned this before in threads. We have no vocations advisor, nor any chance of spiritual direction. I am left to reading the Saints, to discussions here, and to a relationship with a very orthodox and intelligent professor. There is also an extreme crisis here where vocations are seen by the black community as a way to escape poverty rather than to serve God and the Church; and in my diocese in particular (where we 'compete' with an overwhelming Evangelical community) our Liturgies have become - and I hate to say the phrase - 'Protestantized' as it were.

Thanks for the response, but again, the reason I come here online is because these things are not available for me here.

Maybe in this link they can give you ideas. You can ask them your questions. www.whynotpriest.org
I hope it helps you.
God bless you

[quote="NewsTheMan, post:4, topic:242159"]
There is none in my diocese. Notice my location. I have mentioned this before in threads. We have no vocations advisor, nor any chance of spiritual direction. I am left to reading the Saints, to discussions here, and to a relationship with a very orthodox and intelligent professor. There is also an extreme crisis here where vocations are seen by the black community as a way to escape poverty rather than to serve God and the Church; and in my diocese in particular (where we 'compete' with an overwhelming Evangelical community) our Liturgies have become - and I hate to say the phrase - 'Protestantized' as it were.

Thanks for the response, but again, the reason I come here online is because these things are not available for me here.

[/quote]

Then you need to contact the Bishop or the vocations director from a nearby diocese. It would be most irresponsible to go into seminary without a supervised discernment, especialy since your path would involve moving to another country.

What does the FSSP staff say? I assume you have been in regular contact with them.They can surely guide you to finding an appropriate advisor during the period of time between now and your application to seminary.

[quote="NewsTheMan, post:1, topic:242159"]
I want to be a priest of the FSSP. Obviously I have other, spiritual and vocational concerns but this thread is more about my practical concerns.

[/quote]

1.I have yet to be confirmed

It's horrible. I'm almost 21 years old. In my home town, I was considered too young to start classes with whoever was doing them at the beginning of the cycle (was 15 at the time). The next time the opportunity came my dad was unsure of the orthodoxy of the classes so we left it. Now at university I took classes for 2 years... then when the time came last year my otherwise wonderful and orthodox Catechist forgot to tell me the date and where to go for confirmation, so I missed it and the Bishop only visits the area once every 2 years. So now, I am left unconfirmed and it a state of flux as it were.

[/quote]

It seems very strange to me that a wonderful and orthodox Catechist would forget something so important when the bishop only visits the area once every two years. Can you go through RCIA and be confirmed with the converts at Easter (by the priest, who has been given permission to confirm at that special time)? I've known adult Catholics who never were confirmed as children often do that in this country. I don't know how it works in South Africa.

2.Academic year finishes in November/begins January here - so for 8 months or so I will have nothing to do

I live in the Southern Hemisphere were dates are different for schooling etc. So because I am still in University just finishing off post-graduate education I will have to wait 8 months for the academic year in America to start in August 2012 [because I will be applying to the FSSP Seminary in America]. In between that time I am not sure what to do and I am also scared I 'lose' my vocation and get cold feet as it were.

[/quote]

If you stay faithful to prayer and the Sacraments, you won't lose your vocation- you may find you're called to another one, but you won't lose it.

3.My Mom doesn't know that this is what I want to do and I am not sure that she'll agree/pay/understand

My Mom is not Catholic, nor religious in any sense. She thinks that Catholicism holds me back from all the "fun things people my age do". She also sees me as her golden boy who will make lots of money and be successful as an academic (which is what I have told her is my plan, I study Philosophy). She might also be extremely angered that I "wasted" 4 years doing a degree only to dedicate myself to God. My Mom is very well off and I live a luxurious lifestyle even as a student which I am grateful for, but this isn't for me I don't think, I just want God, it's all I want. My dad can't afford to send me anywhere either. This is just speculation though and she might actually understand and be happy for me.

[/quote]

I'm told FSSP seminaries are very expensive- this could be a problem if your parents refuse to pay. What attracts you to them? Simply liking the Traditional Latin Mass shouldn't be the only reason to go to their seminary (also, how often do you go to the Traditional Latin Mass?). There are other traditional communities out there. Remember though that liking something doesn't mean you are called to it. Also, you will need to be Confirmed before you can enter the seminary, I am almost certain. I imagine the people in charge of admissions would want some time to pass since Confirmation as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.