A few questions

I’ve got some questions about when my husband and I get our annulments and finish RCIA (i think classes will start back in july). We’ve both been baptized in protestant churches.

1. at our first confession - how far do we have to go back with past sins? And, how detailed do you have to be?? Example - If we’ve had a lustful thought, would you just say "i’ve had lustful thoughts, or do you have to be more specific, etc…?

2. will we have to be baptized in the Catholic church?

3. will we have to get re-married in the church or have our marriage blessed by a priest?

Thanks in advance for any responses!! Just a few things I’ve been wondering about.

Tracie

first of all … WELCOME to the Forum.

1. at our first confession - how far do we have to go back with past sins? And, how detailed do you have to be?? Example - If we’ve had a lustful thought, would you just say "i’ve had lustful thoughts, or do you have to be more specific, etc…?

Old School Catholics still call it confession. the actual term is reconciliation. that is where we reconcile out relationship with God which has been dammaged by our sinning. If you have a family member who insulted you and hurt you and never said they were sorry, how would that make you feel. You may have forgiven them, but there will always be a strain on the relationship until you two reconcile…it’s the same with God.

1. will we have to be baptized in the Catholic church?

the Catholic Chruches teaches - onle baptism for hte forgivness of sins.

1. will we have to get re-married in the church or have our marriage blessed by a priest?

you will have to have your mrriage blessed by a priest…it’s really cool to be one in faith and have Christ as the center of your faith and have the Church support.

Welcome to the Church … we hare here if you need us or have any questions.

Welcome to CAF.

We are expected to confess the “number and kind” of grave sins (Cannon 988.1) in enough detail so the priest can give the apporpriate spiritual counsel.

Only if you haven’t been validly baptised before.

1. will we have to get re-married in the church or have our marriage blessed by a priest?

Thanks in advance for any responses!! Just a few things I’ve been wondering about.

Tracie

Dicsuss this with your priest so he can determine the exact nature of your currect situation and instruct you on what is needed.

I was baptized in the church of Christ when I was about 12 (I’m now a lot older):smiley: . So, any sins that i’ve committed since then, would they need to be confessed to a priest or not since I wasn’t Catholic then and asked God to forgive me?? I hope this doesn’t sound stupid, i’m just trying to figure out what I’ll need to do. I want to do it right!!:thumbsup: But, now knowing that I’ll have to be somewhat detailed is a SCARY thing!! Makes you think twice when you have to actually say it out loud to someone else!!! :blush:
Thanks,
Tracie

What you are describing is one of the graces (healing powers) of the sacrament. Can you imagine having to do this in front of the heavenly throne, before all the witnesses described in Heb. 11? We get off easy doing it privatetly. It is our shame that keeps us from wanting to confess, yet it is the confession that helps us heal from the shame.

In answer to your other questions, it sounds like you used to be Catholic then left? If you were baptized as an infant then you were validly baptized. If you were baptized “in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit” by someone who intended to bring you into the kingdom of God, then you were validly baptized.

I recommend that you use an examination of conscience to prepare for confession. Google those keywords then choose a few. They will walk you through the 10 commandments and help to bring to mind what is important to confess. Don’t get hung up on remembering every little thing. Make the best confession you can, then God will bring to mind anything that needs to be brought in the future.

Only mortal sins you have committed since your baptism have to be confessed. For a sin to be mortal it must involve a grave matter to which you fully consented with full knowledge of what you were doing. A fleeting lustful thought which you did not dwell upon would probably not be a mortal sin, if your reaction to such a thought was something like, “I can’t believe I’m thinking of that!” rather than, “Oh wow, I’d love to do that with them

Not if you were baptized in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

If you were baptized Christians when you got married, you shouldn’t have to, but I see you have annulments in the works so perhaps a convalidation (blessing) is in order. Your priest will be able to tell you for sure.

You only need to confess the grave sins you have committed since you were baptized. I was baptized in the Baptist Church at about age 14. I was 43 when time came for my first baptism. I made an appointment with the priest because it took so long.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.