A Few Questions

A while ago, I posted a thread in this sub-forum, and would like to now ask a few questions.

1) What are some religious orders for priests that are closely tied to helping the community? I like the general idea of the Fathers of Mercy, but they seem a bit more distant from the community than a diocesan priest. Specifically, I'd like to know about conservative orders.
2) Does anyone know how similar FSSP (Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter) priests are to diocesan priests?
2a) i.e, do they offer all the sacraments that a diocesan priest regularly offers (I know Holy Eucharist) but what about Baptism or Matrimony or Reconciliation?
2b) do FSSP priests work within a set diocese or are they distinct from the diocese they happened to be geographically located within?
3) If I wish to try to become an FSSP priest, should I approach the FSSP or my diocese first?

Sorry if these questions seem ignorant. Thank you.

Hi there

As someone who knows 2 Fraternity priests well let me clear a few things up.

1) FSSP priests are Secular i.e not religious priests, the Fraternity like its parent the SSPX is a society of priests without vows -therefore its members are free to own their own property just like a diocesan priest.

2) Yes they do offer all of the Sacraments just like a Diocesan Priest

3) Yes they are distinct from the Diocese that they operate in and MAY if the District/General superior so deems it be moved to a different Diocese or even a diffferent country.

4) If you know an FSSP priest within the Diocese then it would probebly be best to talk to him first; otherwise try and talk to someone at the district headquarters.

5) If you think that the Religious Priesthood is your calling then the Dominicans and Saelsians are often involved at a parish level although like a diocesan priest they have no say in where they minister.

hope this helps

Thank you for the information. I think the FSSP is probably the society where I belong. Unfortunately, the diocese to the north and the diocese to the west-south-west of mine have FSSP priests but my diocese has none. My parish used to have a priest trained in the Tridentine Mass, but he was diocesan and left a month ago.

I have contacted the assistant of the vocations director at the Our Lady of Guadalupe seminary and he responded just the other day with your answer to number 2, among other things.

Thank you.

[quote="poor_sinner, post:2, topic:219281"]
the Fraternity like its parent the SSPX

[/quote]

I just want to point out that this is incorrect. The SSPX is not the "parent" of the FSSP. They are not related in any way, except maybe that they are both 'traditional' though that is also too black and white and not really correct language.

In fact, the SSPX see the FSSP as un-traditional. Their website says as much and recommends not attending FSSP Masses.

The FSSP is a very good, traditional fraternity that has the full support of Rome and is in no way affiliated with the SSPX.

[quote="NewsTheMan, post:4, topic:219281"]
I just want to point out that this is incorrect. The SSPX is not the "parent" of the FSSP. They are not related in any way, except maybe that they are both 'traditional' though that is also too black and white and not really correct language.

In fact, the SSPX see the FSSP as un-traditional. Their website says as much and recommends not attending FSSP Masses.

The FSSP is a very good, traditional fraternity that has the full support of Rome and is in no way affiliated with the SSPX.

[/quote]

Sorry when I refered to the SSPX as the parent of the FSSP I was refering to the fact that the Founders of the FSSP were originally SSPX.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.