A fierce will to win pushed Donald Trump to the top

The two-story, 23-room house sits grandly on Midland Parkland in the Jamaica Estates neighborhood in Queens, its portico upheld by six white columns, as if a plantation manse from the South had been transplanted to suburbia. It was here, in a mansion built by his father, with a chauffeur-driven limousine in the driveway, that Donald Trump spent most of his childhood. And it was here, in this house that symbolized how the Trumps were bigger and brasher than all around them, that Donald first revealed his rebellious nature.

He punched his music teacher, disobeyed his parents by sneaking into Manhattan and, according to his close friend at the time, bought a switchblade knife. Eventually, his parents sent him away, enrolling him for five teenage years in New York Military Academy, which tried, and often failed, to calm the most hyperkinetic of all the Trumps. Donald, the family learned, could not be easily contained.

Now, as Trump prepares to move into a far grander, many-columned home, he is once again unlikely to be contained. That, it seems, is what the voters wanted. Trump’s arrival in Washington has excited a cross-section of the country who see in him not an elitist, but a populist who can explode the way business is done in the nation’s capital. The fact that Trump comes from such a privileged background, and that he became fabulously wealthy by catering to some of the world’s richest people, did not put off the millions of working-class people who supported him. To the contrary, they see him as their champion, even as he stacks his Cabinet with fellow billionaires.

washingtonpost.com/politics/a-fierce-will-to-win-pushed-donald-trump-to-the-top/2017/01/17/6b36c2ce-c628-11e6-8bee-54e800ef2a63_story.html?utm_term=.0aae0b52ec6c

Interesting biography of Trump

First point: for those who think inordinate wealth is a negative aspect of Trump’s family history and means he cannot possibly be in touch with the needs of the common folk, including the poor, let us not forget the Roosevelts and Kennedys, families who have had the social-responsibility norm ingrained in their genes. Whether that is true of Trump or his family, I do not know; but my point is that wealth itself is not necessarily a drawback.

Second point: Donald Trump’s rebellious nature, more so than other family members, just goes to show that nature is at least as important in determining one’s personality as the circumstances of one’s environment.

Final point: I wonder whether Trump ever really grew up or whether he is now a man-child, though not exactly in the sense of the Peter Pan complex. Just a thought. What a psycho-historical case study Trump would make for the clinical psychologist who enjoys a good challenge!

You made some excellent points. :thumbsup:

Mr. Trump’s way of speaking, gesturing and general ability to be incoherent and offensive bears close scrutiny when he becomes President.

This article from BBC News outlines my concerns about his behavior.

bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38630016

Ed

Fierce will? 4 year old: “Toy White House mine! Mine!! You don’t like it? You’re fired!”

“Spontaneity is not something that protects national security interests and so therefore when he speaks or when he reacts, just make sure he understands that the implications and impact on the United States could be profound.”

Does Trump care though? Not really.

I don’t know how he thinks but I do think that saying or tweeting anything that violates national security will have repercussions. Level-headed, sober-minded experts will not tolerate this once he’s in office. I believe they will take appropriate action. They won’t care that Trump doesn’t care.

Ed

What kind of action are they capable of taking, other than resigning their post?

A fierce will to win did not push Trump to the top. Cheating and lying did. Hillary Clinton won by almost 3 million votes. Our national security reported that Russia tainted the US election process in his favor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.