A ? For our lds friends

How is it the jesus is “seated at the right hand of the father” if jesus, because he was never married, is not with God the Father in the “Celestial Kingdom” but in the lower level of heaven known as the “Terrestrial kindom”,if i got that right? Please explain, and also, how is this in any way a Christian belief?

“God Bless even the Wicked and Ignorant”
(me).

My mistake, it should read: How is it that Jesus…not How is it the jesus

1. Mormons do not believe that Jesus will reside in the Terrestrial Kingdom: Doctrine & Covenants 76:62.

2. Mormons do not confess the Apostles’ Creed.

3. In what way are these not Christian beliefs, unless you define Christianity as something exclusive of Mormonism beforehand?

P.S. It is my understanding that “Mormon” is no longer considered pejorative, but I see that its use seems to be avoided here. Am I wrong? Is there a particular reason for that, otherwise?

Mormons believe that Jesus will reign over the lower kingdom, the telestial not the terrestrial, sorry my mistake, the Holy Ghost will reign over the middle kigdom and God the Father will reign over the upper kingdom. Where they then can become gods of their own universes. How is this in any way a Christian belief? I agree that mormons do not recite the creed but they do believe that Jesus is seated at the right hand. I have also never heard of the different levels of heaven in which we all will be sent deponding on how well we followed mormon doctrine and teaching. How is this belief Christian?

The lds will say it is not official doctrine. Or “I don’t know that we teach that” As they do with most other ‘controversial’ beliefs. However, it is a school of thought in the Mormon church that Jesus was married to Mary, and Martha, at the least. He cannot be in the celestial kingdom unless he had been married. He married just like every other man and had a family.

Here are the flat out facts:
bible-truth.org/LDSpolygamy.html

Mormons believe that Jesus will reign over the lower kingdom, the Holy Ghost will reign over the middle kigdom and God the Father will reign over the upper kingdom.

What is your source for this? Nothing I have read in summaries on degrees of glory supports this, and the verse that I linked in my previous post contradicts it outright.

How is this in any way a Christian belief? … How is this belief Christian?

It is part of a religious tradition that adheres to the teachings of Jesus Christ. How is this not Christian, other than that you already have defined Christianity according to criteria that necessarily exclude Mormonism?

I have also never heard of the different levels of heaven in which we all will be sent deponding on how well we followed mormon doctrine and teaching.

That you have not heard of it certainly does not invalidate it. Some Protestants are downright ignorant of concepts such as Purgatory, but this does not in and of itself disprove that Catholic doctrine.

You say that it adheres to the teachings of Jesus Christ? Show me where Jesus taught that it was necessary to be married to inherent the kingdom of heaven. or, where he taught that there ws a never ending line of gods (Eternal Progression) and that you and I could become gods of our own universe. or where he taught the the unbabtised deceased could not recieve judgment untill they had been babtised on earth and then decided if they belived in him or not. or…

[That you have not heard of it certainly does not invalidate it. Some Protestants are downright ignorant of concepts such as Purgatory, but this does not in and of itself disprove that Catholic doctrine.
[/QUOTE]

Can you show me anywhere in history, before Joseph Smith first talked about it, That there was a teaching of the mormon doctrine of the different degrees of glory? How about any of the early church fathers? They must have written about it since it was the teachings of Jesus Christ and all the apostle were taught and practiced mormon doctrine!

You seem to be gravely misunderstanding a number of Mormon beliefs, as well as a number of things that I have said. For example, the concept of “eternal progression” as I just read about has nothing to do with a “never ending line of gods.” You should also not take me to mean that Jesus himself established every doctrine of the Mormon church; practically no church exists without, at the very least, statements clarifying who Jesus was and what some of his core teachings meant. What I meant was that Mormons cannot be excluded from Christianity without a consciously biased definition of Christianity, and that their beliefs are therefore not un-Christian.

Understand, on the other hand, that Mormons do believe that their other, non-Biblical, scriptures are also divinely revealed; therefore, any teachings from these sources that do not come from the mouth of Christ himself are nevertheless regarded by Mormons as infallible truth — in the same way that Catholics regard Sacred Tradition as an infallible, extra-Biblical deposit of divinely-revealed truth.

If you would really like to talk to Mormons (I am not one) about their faith, you should try to learn more about it so that you can ask questions with valid premises. Right now it seems that you are just trying to discredit Mormonism, and you cannot build a convincing case to that effect if you do not know what you are arguing against to begin with.

Hi SM26! :slight_smile:

I hope you don’t mind if I correct a few misunderstandings in your post regarding the three degrees of glory.

Before I provide my corrections, keep in mind that my description here is purposefully brief and limited. I’m keeping it simple, in other words. The three degrees of glory are not for God’s benefit. They are for ours. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost are already in Heaven. Mormon’s believe that the Celestial kingdom is where the Godhead dwells. Those who make it to the Celestial kingdom will live in God’s presence. The Terrestial kingdom is where those who weren’t valiant in their faith to Jesus Christ will go. They will have the privledge of being ministered to by Jesus. And finally, the Telestial kingdom is where all the bad people will go. They will not have the privledge of being ministered by the Father or by the Son, but by the Holy Spirit. So, as you can see, these aren’t places where the respective members of the Godhead reign. God, as in the Godhead, reigns supreme of all things and all kingdoms. Instead, the doctrine is speaking to what privledges the residents of said kingdoms will have.

I hope this post has helped clarify some of the misconceptions you had about this doctrine.

Kind Regards,
Finrock

Eternal progression isn’t really what you’ve stated. If you really want to get a better understanding of this, I would suggest a entry from the Encyclopedia of Mormonism on this subject matter. You can find it here.

Actually, we do not believe that Adam was or is our god. In fact, you’ve seem to have gotten things backwards. We believe Jesus was and is our God (Godhead) and Adam was Michael (Archangel).

Kind Regards,
Finrock

Mormonoids teach that Jesus married both Martha and her sister Mary (whom they mistakenly identify with Mary Magdelene) at the Wedding of Cana in John 2.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.