A freemason, my ex and my children

My ex is in a relationship with a freemason. My young children will have regular contact with him. I am scheduled for a meeting with him shortly. My ex is lapsed Catholic and I am keen practiced Catholic. My kids (reluctantly) come to Mass with me but its difficult as I dont get 100% support. Any special advice and prayers from you kind folk will be welcome.

My UK brother (I’m of British heritage too!), as I am not divorced, not married, have no children, and am not a Mason, I cannot offer the slightest bit of advice.

But I can pray for you, and that I will do.

Regards

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.

I don’t have any experiences like that at all… maybe just reinforce their faith, get them even more excited about it, and just make sure they know that his religion is different and wrong, and to keep this in mind. Just like if the guy was a Protestant or atheist, it’s better to let the kids know the whole story, not just some watered down version. Make sure they don’t think he’s a bad person though!

How old are the kids?:slight_smile:

I was raised in a United Church of Chirst faith. My dad was a mason as was my grandfather. My mother was in the Eastern Star and me Job’s Daughters, both associated with the Masons. I was not harmed by this in any way. I didn’t even care that they were members and didn’t really know much about it. All I knew is that from the time I was 13 till 18 I had a fun time with a group of girls in an organization based on the book of Job. I learned to run meetings and speak in front of an audience. I see it as having been a great experience in my life.

I have been a convert for more than 20 years now. I guess my point is that kids don’t really care about that stuff if no one makes an issue of it. Masons aren’t allowed to talk about what they do and kids don’t usually ask. It’s best to just let it go.

Your prayers sre the most imortant thing - thank you brother… God Bless you

Thank you - God Bless you

I think it is unlikely that this will have much impact on your kids, it’s not like the fellow will be letting them in on what goes on. And I find a lot of masons actually have little interest in the theological/ritualistic aspects of masonry,and are mostly interested in charitable work, eating dinners, and wearing funny hats.

Thank you for those comforting words. Was the Job group you were in connected with the masons or the UCC?
Your message has helped me. I dont want to rock the family boat but I’m concerned for the spiritual wellbeing of my kids.
God Bless

Thanks for those words. I wouldnt be especially worrried if he was an athiest and not worried at all if he was a non Catholic Christian - its just the secrecy of the masons which concerns me - - -anyway I have been comforted by these messages - -thankyou God Bless

Thank you all for the comments - I tried to reply to each message but may have upset the flow of the thread. Anyway it was most comforting. I had read horror stories about masons and have Christian friends who have gasped in shock when I revealed my kids will be spending time with one - The individual has questionable attitudes anyway which may or may not be related to his feemason activities - - I feel better now but will be watching him like a hawk…Thanks folks for the support

The Job’s Daughters group was associated with the Masons only in that we had to have a family member be a Mason in order to join. I think you’re right, it’s more a question of the individual and not the Masons. I had a wonderful close Christian family who would help out anyone. Like someone else said, most Masons are mainly interested in doing charitable works and dressing up in cool costumes! I’d be more worried about what kind of person this man is. My dad (a Mason) was a wonderful human being and father.

This is right on accurate. I love/cringe when people babble on about how evil masons are. I grew up never really hearing anything about them, but you have to admire what they do for children with all the burn clincs.

I dated a girl in the Rainbow orginzation, which was Masonry for young women, I guess. I was constantally amazed by their dedication to chastity, morality, country, and the like.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.