A funeral mass for prohibition?

So I was doing a research paper over the history of our county for a history class. Anyway, I was reading the section about my town, and it said that in 1933, when prohibition ended, the town had a funeral mass for the 18th amendment. Not a mock mass or a celebration but apparently a full funeral mass followed by a party. It makes sense since my town was founded by czech settlers who loved their beer.

Anyway, would this be legitimate. I mean it almost seems to me like worshipping a false god. I know alcohol is not all bad and I myself like a good beer, but it seems weird to me that people in my town in the 30’s would do this. Would it be an illegitimate mass?

http://www.stpeterslist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/38600_843539887358_21706405_45824793_33715_n.jpeg

The first thing we need to learn is what is your source for this information? A newspaper from the time? Or the records of the parish in your town? Big difference, see what I mean?

A mass is a mass, it would not be “illegitimate” even though it might be inappropriate, as a funeral mass is meant for a human being. Keep in mind also this would have been the Tridentine Mass.

What I cautiously guess is maybe the actual form used was “Mass of Thanksgiving” or “Mass in Time of Trial” or some such formula, but people referred to it as a “funeral mass” because it took on that meaning and tone in that town.

This was from a town history, and I think the source was from a newspaper. You are right that it may have been a mass of thanksgiving, but thanksgiving for getting beer back, while a worthy celebration (as long as you don’t celebrate too much;)) seems inappropriate for a mass. It would be like holding a mass of thanksgiving if Barack Obama was defeated. Sure it is a good reason to celebrate, but not as a mass

Keep in mind that many Catholics believed that Prohibition was Anti-Catholic at its core: It mandated special licenses for the Church to obtain wine for Mass, and it was perceived as a direct slap at the Irish, Germans, Poles, Bohemians and other immigrants that favored drinking.

It was certainly NOT a funeral Mass…but it may well have been a legitimate celebration of an end to perceived discrimination…or even persecution. An answer to prayers is worth a Mass of thanksgiving.

Liturgical abuse has been around long before the days of Vatican II. I would not be surprised if the bishop of that diocese had a little chat with the pastor after the "funeral."

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.