A good Bible commentary?

Can anyone recommend a solid Catholic Bible commentary, which includes the Old Testament? thanks!

I recommend the Ignatius Study Bible. This is a commentary based on the Revised Standard Versions, 2nd Catholic Edition. It has commentary from the best today.

The New Testament was recently released as a single volume.

The Old Testament books are being created. I believe the Book of Genesis was completed this month. Some of the other OT books have been completed already too. Eventually, there will be a single commentary set from this effort.

CMoran:
I Second Samuel’s recommendation - The Ignatius Study Bible - New Testament is excellent and inexpensive
Amazon.com
Navarre Study Bible (Parallel RSVCE - New Vulgate with commentaries from Church Fathers, Doctors of the Church & St. Jose Maria Escriva)
NT & OT - The Catholic Company
NT & OT - Catholic Gifts4u
The Ignatius Study Bible is much less expensive, but Fr. Corapi uses the Navarre Study Bible… Both are excellent choices.
The Next Two are ONLINE Commentaries –
You can also use BibliaCleris at the Vatican Website - BibliaCleris has commentaries from the Fathers & Doctors of the Church
BibliaCleris
This is an older Catholic Commentary from Fr. Haydock
haydock1859.tripod.com/index.html

I’ve posted links to Online Resources, including Translations and Interlinears. You might want to use these links
Good Books for learning the faith - Post #13 posted Today at 12 am.
forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=7463958&postcount=13
Which Bible do you use - Posts throughout Thread
[FONT=Tahoma]forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=42630
[/FONT]I would start with these and see where that gets me.
I strongly recommend the following -
Accepting the Embrace of God - The Ancient Art of Lectio Divina
[FONT=Tahoma]valyermo.com/ld-art.html
[/FONT]I really believe most Catholics should be paying the Scriptures - Breathing them in and out so they become united with the Word of God and with Jesus Christ - That’s what Lectio Divina does…

OTOH, If you really want to STUDY the Scriptures, Read this from Vatican II - Dei Verbum - and this from Pope Pius XII -
Divino Afflante Spiritu
I think you might want to get subscriptions to This Rock and Magnificat Magazines and see if your parish has a good ongoing Bible Study.
Please, whatever you do, try to read the Scriptures “with the mind of the Church”… and, Remember the prayer:
“Blessed Lord, who hast caused all holy Scriptures to be written for our learning; Grant that we may in such wise hear them and read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest them, that by patience, and comfort of thy holy Word, we may embrace, and ever hold fast the blessed hope of everlasting life. We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen”

BCP 1662 & 1928 - Collect for 2nd Sunday in Advent
That should be enough to get you going. Please, don’t hesitate to ask if you need anything else…
Your Brother & Servant in Christ, Michael

Thank you.. that is very helpful. I do already own the Ignatius Press New Testament study Bible and LOVE it (it's what we use in my Bible study). However, I have been reading through the Prophets with my Protestant boyfriend, which is why I would really like a good OT commentary until the Ignatius version is released. Thanks for all the resources! I appreciate the help.

Out of curiosity, and because I find my self in similar situations, is your protestant boyfriend using prophets to show you proof that the RCC is the “W” of Babylon?

Hmm, no, at least I haven’t picked up on it. It’s more an issue of translations. He likes to read the NIV, but I realized after we had already finished Daniel that his version leaves out that beautiful prayer in Chapter 3 when the three men are in the furnace. So I was hoping to get a Catholic commentary so I can be sure my understanding of Scripture isn’t watered down by using the NIV.

Here's what Haydock has to say and may point to why the NIV is missing it:

Ver. 24. And, &c. "What follows I have not found in the Hebrew volumes." (St. Jerome) (Haydock) --- Here St. Jerome takes notice, that from this verse to ver. 91 was not in the Hebrew in his time. But as it was in all the Greek Bibles, (which were originally translated from the Hebrew) it is more than probable that it had been formerly in the Hebrew; or rather in the Chaldaic, in which the Book of Daniel was written. But this is certain: that it is and has been of old, received by the Church, and read as canonical Scripture in her liturgy and divine offices. (Challoner) --- See the preface. (Worthington)

From: haydock1859.tripod.com/id312.html <----Haydock commentary on Chap. 3.

On a side note it seems as though the NIV is geared towards protestant Evangelicals . Take for instance:

I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the teachings, just as I passed them on to you. 1 Corinthians 11:2

In some versions of the NIV the word traditions is replaced with teachings, such as the above example from my Pradis Bible Study NIV, specifically in places where traditions are seen in a positive light.

However when traditions are placed in a bad light guess what happens, the word used is not teachings but traditions.

Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? Matt 15:3

Just thought I'd share that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.