A Good Muslim and a Good Canadian

A Good Muslim and a Good Canadian: New Program at Emmanuel College Tries to Define Islam within a Canadian Context

Targeted at imams and other Muslim leaders – but open to anyone – the goal is to help develop a Canadian form of Islam, says college principal Mark Toulouse, a driving force behind the program.

Hypatia,
What do you think of this as a Muslim? Do you think there are some religions/cultures that can never co-exist as close neighbors?

I think it sounds like a good thing in theory. I don't know how practical it will be because it can be very hard to leave the comfort zone of an immigrant community.
My personal view is that I don't believe someone (of any culture or religion) should expect to move to a new country and not integrate into the new culture. To me that is an insult to the new country and it's people that has opened it's doors to you.

[quote="momor, post:2, topic:186092"]
Hypatia,
What do you think of this as a Muslim? Do you think there are some religions/cultures that can never co-exist as close neighbors?

I think it sounds like a good thing in theory. I don't know how practical it will be because it can be very hard to leave the comfort zone of an immigrant community.
My personal view is that I don't believe someone (of any culture or religion) should expect to move to a new country and not integrate into the new culture. To me that is an insult to the new country and it's people that has opened it's doors to you.

[/quote]

Integration is always a two-way street, and often a rough one (Catholics in America are evidence enough of that). Precisely in being integrated into a nations story, the new community cannot help but change the story, even as they themselves are altered.

Islam is not limited to a particular nation or culture, but is the universal religion. If that is the case, then nothing good, no matter where it is found, is foreign to Islam and Islam ought to be able to make a home and thrive no matter where it is.

This development is good thing for Islam in North America and, in this case, especially for Canada.

Although in Canada, we don't believe in a melting pot. We believe that multiculturalism makes our nation better, not worse.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.