A JW tract...

My wife found a JW tract on the train today. It is entitled “THE END OF FALSE RELIGION IS NEAR!”

Some excerpts:

“False Religion…meddles in war and politics” (then I guess pre-Christian Judaism was a false religion)

“False Religion…spreads false doctrine” (which is true) but here is an example that is cited: “Jesus taught that the dead will be resurrected-an unnecessary action is humans had an immortal soul.” Apparently they don’t realize the difference between the soul and the body.

“False Religion…tolerates immoral sex…Even churches that condemn immorality have tolerated religious leaders who have sexually abused children.” (next to that bullet is a picture of a priest in a Roman collar)

Then it talkes about Rev. 17 and gives the standard anti-catholic interpretation, but the whore is linked to false religion in general.

Then on the back page it says “How to identify true religion” … “Practices love” (true) “Trusts God’s word” (true) “Strengthens familes and upholds high moral standards” (true) … then it jumps from that point to say that “If more people practiced versions of what the Jehovah’s Witnesses preach and practice, the Holocause could have been prevented and genocide would scourage the world no more.” :eek:

Any thoughts?

I understand this is their latest tract, which was suppose to expose some major revelation - in the JW world, of course.:rolleyes:

Hi:

You might find my response to this tract helpful. Here is the link:

catholicxjw.blogspot.com/2006/11/end-of-false-religion-is-neara.html

Jeff Schwehm
www.catholicxjw.com

Thanks. One of my profs, who is in the theology department at Boston College, described JWs as a cult after I made a comment about modern Arian Christians often being reluctant to incorporate philosophy into their belief system :rolleyes:

The JWs are a cult. In fact, I dont even think they can be considered Christian.

Best just to ignore them.

It’s a wonder they are so philosophically-challenged when Arius himself was so well versed in Greek philosophy and at one point had more followers than orthodox Christianity (some may also consider Muslims a kind of extreme Arian sect). He would never have endorsed the JW’s, though, nor any other modern “Arian-esque” group and would probably dislike having his name applied to them (except maybe the so-called “Arian Catholic Church”)…:stuck_out_tongue:

Prayers and petitions,
Alexius:cool:

Some years back, they had a story on Dateline about a scandal in the cult of the Jehovah Witnesses. I think there was some sexual abuse going on.

I got that stupid tract when I came back from my parish’s annual bazaar last november. My dad took it, but I think he trashed it after he read it for some “humor”. He’s weird…

If you have the chance, ask them if true religion baptizes in the “name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit”. Because JW’s don’t…

The Dateline NBC show aired around June 2002. It dealt with families that had been disfellowshipped for taking issues of sexual abuse in their JW congregations to outside authorities (ie, the police).

www.silentlambs.org

Yes, this kind of nonsense would have and does have some people beliving the JWs do not and cannot sin. But, surprise surpise, the JWs I know personally are just as sinful as many Catholics I know.

JWs are arrogant. I’m sorry to say it, but they are. They think that being honest and admitting to being false prophets makes Russell and Rutherford respectable!

She should get off that train as soon as possible, that tract is at least 3 months old so that means the train hasnt been cleaned for months!.. :eek:

You’re obviously not from Boston.:cool:

LOL :smiley:

Your wife ever see Charlie while on the train?

A friend of mine recently visited his mother in Boston. He told me he saw ‘watchtower’ and ‘awake!’ magazines on the train. :rolleyes:

I actually worked with a very nice Jehovah’s Witness for a few years. I must say that I was impressed with his dedication and sincerety.

It was this association that made me have a good hard look at my own religion. It was due initially to his challenges to traditional christianity.

While his challenges, or rather those of his religion were aimed at Catholicism, the repercussions were that they challenged just about all the christian religions that routinely show up on these forums and debate between themselves.

He didn’t even know that denoms such as Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians and the like were Trinitarians. He was astounded, completely bowled over when I told him that. I told him that it was biblical and he was even more shocked.

Up until then, he thought that the Catholic Church was a corrupt church that had been infused by pagans and that is where the dogma of Trinity came from.

He especially disliked knocking on Baptist doors. They would start evangelizing him! And he was there to evangelize them! We both laughed at that one.

I have to say that the theological discussions we would have opened both of our eyes. we learned a great deal about each other’s religions through debates, similar to the ones we have here.

And that is what this forum is all about, now isn’t it?

Maybe you could try the same approach. Stay steadfast in your beliefs and listen to thier arguments. It’s OK to say that you don’t know the answer and that you will have an answer for them when they return. Ask them back, while in the meantime preparing answers to thier challenges. Make your answers reasonable and logical and, most espescially, scripturally based.

Subrosa

Oh, and by the way, the MBTA Green Line is the most rickety train I’ve ever been on going over to Science Park! :smiley:

Sub(way)rosa

Come here during the spring and go to the Boston Common on any given Saturday. You’ll likely run into every odd religious sect you can imagine. One day I encountered Scientologists and Falung Gong, along with anti-war protestors and some old crazy nut holding up a sign that said something like “Hey Christian, Hey Jew, F— your God and your war, too!” - all within about 100 square feet…

the whole town is insane :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe you could try the same approach. Stay steadfast in your beliefs and listen to thier arguments. It’s OK to say that you don’t know the answer and that you will have an answer for them when they return. Ask them back, while in the meantime preparing answers to thier challenges. Make your answers reasonable and logical and, most espescially, scripturally based.

I try to be willing to discuss with this, but I often find that they want it to be a one-way discussion.

JWs always seem loving until Catholicism is brought up. They hate Protestants too. We’re all evil to them, and tried to hide God’s name.:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.