A kerfluffle about the stamp commemorating Mother Teresa

The Freedom From Religion Foundation is at it again, (Read acts17verse28.blogspot.com/2010/02/freedom-from-religion-foundation-wants.html for more information if you'd like.)

This time they're fussing at the U.S. Postal Service's release of a stamp commemorating Mother Teresa. They say it's impossible to separate her Catholic faith and her life as a nun from her identity, therefore our government shouldn't grant her this sort of recognition. To bolster their point of view, they want to share information about her "dark side"... claiming that her order got lots of money from donations but didn't do as much good as they could have with these funds.

I wonder what "good" this foundation performs with the donations that come their way? Look around their site - it's a whole lot easier to find ways to make a tax-deductible donation than it is to find out what "good" they do.

My only problem with Mother Teresa getting a stamp was how a non citizen could get a stamp to honor her.I found out that she was an "honorary" citizen a title rewarded to only about six other people in American history.Including William Penn and Churchill.

This group obviously has a dislike for any religion and most notably Christianity.
No matter what they do MT will get her stamp.

Ger

I don’t have much to contribute. I just wanted to applaud your use of the word kerfluffle.

I'm kind of shocked at the level of animosity towards Mother Teresa I've seen in people I know. I think most of it comes from the book Christopher Hitchens wrote, and from the interviews he's given on the book. I saw one interview where he said he wished there actually was a hell so Mother Teresa could go there.

A lot of the criticisms I've seen of her seem to come from a misunderstanding of Catholic theology, which the media never gets right anyway. She often said things like "The poor are Christ" and "They are suffering on the cross with Christ," in reference to sick and dying people in her hospices. This is interpreted by people like Hitchens as her relishing in the suffering of other people, of her being a sadist who enjoyed watching people suffer and die.

They also accuse her of being a fraud who never actually believed in God, based on her writings that were released after her death. She went through a very long dry period in her spiritual life where she had no sensible presence of God. Evangelical atheists like Hitchens take this as proof that she was just a cynical fraud, because they don't believe in the spiritual life and they think they can interpret Mother Teresa's life better than she could.

I’ve not read the article since the whole thing is just silly in my view. Tempest in a teapot.

Quick question.
Has Martin Luther King ever been honored with a stamp?? I’ll wager he has since He also has a national recognized holiday.
I think it would be quite hard to seperate MLK from His Christianity as well. That should settle the issue of a “religious” being commemorated on a stamp.

As for an issue of citizenship, I don’t know what the guidelines are for issuing stamps so I don’t know if it really makes any difference what her citizenship is. Perhaps someone else is aware of the guidelines for commemorative stamps in the US.

Peace
James

The country issued a stamp in honor of Malcom x sometime ago, who was nothing but a common criminal, but they complain about Mother Teresa. Ridiculous.

Once the stamp is issued it would be so nice to drop them a line.

[quote="AnotherVoice, post:7, topic:185319"]
Once the stamp is issued it would be so nice to drop them a line.

[/quote]

I wouldn't waste 52 cents for a stamp for these chuckleheads.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.