A Little Doubt

Do we Catholics believe that Jesus is a Mediator between men and God? I thought that being a mediator is someone that helps us connect to God. But how is this possible when Jesus is God. I just don’t entirely get this Mediator thingamajig. I know the Jesus is God and we pray to Him only and ask the saints to interecede for us but why does He hold the title as a Mediator between men and God. Could someone please explain… It is just annoying that all these doubts are coming during Christmas. I’m supposed to be in a happy mood people! Instead I’m being tormented by doubts:(

By becoming human he helps us connect to the spiritual Father. That is a watered down version

Loving disciple, May God bless you during this Advent season……

Your question is a good one and one that many have tried to understand. I think Christy’ response is a good one. By becoming a human, God the son became Jesus and united himself to the human race in a new way. This act helps us to connect to God the Father more closely.

I understand how this can be confusing… Some would say that you can not pray directly to God (in fact my Pastor said this recently) and that you have to instead pray to Mary for her intercession and that she will distribute God’s grace as she sees fit. Some would say that we need someone between God and us to be as we are not fit to interact directly with God and we need someone to diffuse God’s wrath on our behalf … often times these things come from people in the Church… many times personal devotion of piety of others can be confusing because it is often times not put forward as a personal devotion, but instead an absolute Church teaching.

I would say that the most important thing is that you focus on hearing and seeing God in your life… Pray to God as Jesus instructed us to … with the Our Father. Think of your prayers as a song to God… and know that Mary and the saints are singing with you in perfect harmony which amplifies the sound!! Rejoice and don’t despair! You are a child of God and He loves you…. that’s really all that matters….

A mediator is one who goes back and forth between two parties getting them to agree. In Jewish culture and in the Hebrew Scriptures, mediation has to do with covenants.

Moses was a mediator for the covenant God made with the Hebrews.

Now when all the people perceived the thunderings and the lightnings and the sound of the trumpet and the mountain smoking, the people were afraid and trembled; and they stood afar off, and said to Moses, "You speak to us, and we will hear; but let not God speak to us, lest we die." (Exodus 20:18-19)

Moses mediated the covenant, going up and down the mountain at least five times, bringing Gods proposal to the people and the people’s response to God. If you look in your Bible, it might even have the heading “Moses Accepted as Mediator” before this section of Scripture.

Jesus is the new Moses. Jesus mediates a new covenant.

*Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, (Hebrews 9:15)

and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, (Hebrews 12:24)*

The old covenant was imperfect, and the man Moses was an imperfect mediator. Jesus is the perfect mediator between God and man because he alone is both God and man.

**For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, **(1 Timothy 2:5)

Jesus is God. Jesus is man. Jesus is therefor the perfect mediator of the new perfect covenant between God and mankind. His mediation is perfect because he is both God and man.

-Tim-

Very well put Timothy.

But isn’t praying to Jesus praying to God as the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit are one? I was the one who asked the question by the way(Christy) not the ‘loving disciple’ :slight_smile:

I think the idea of Christ as the mediator is that through him, we can all connect with God, and we all have a personal relationship with God as adopted Children, whereas in the old covenant, the relationship between God and his people was a more legalistic, defined way.

So when we pray, we pray through Christ’s saving sacrifice.

Of course, we know that God hears the prayers of the just before the unjust, and we know that even after accepting Christ we sin, so when we ask the saints to pray with us, we are asking for a person who is already as holy as possible to pray for our requests, and in theory their prayers are more efficacious than our own.

You only really need to pray to God, but why exclude your brother and sister saints? It would be like having a problem and not asking your Christian friends to pray for you. More prayer is more efficacious.

=Christy_7;11509639]Do we Catholics believe that Jesus is a Mediator between men and God? I thought that being a mediator is someone that helps us connect to God. But how is this possible when Jesus is God. I just don’t entirely get this Mediator thingamajig. I know the Jesus is God and we pray to Him only and ask the saints to interecede for us but why does He hold the title as a Mediator between men and God. Could someone please explain… It is just annoying that all these doubts are coming during Christmas. I’m supposed to be in a happy mood people! Instead I’m being tormented by doubts:(

So Christy, allow me to asK

Does Jesus LEAD US TO HIMSELF?

Do the sacraments He instituted Lead us to HIM [God]?

Here’s what you’re missing:)

Jesus has TWO full and complete natures:one as man and one as God

Through the Incarnation he is Truly a man [like us in every way BUT sin] AND at the SAME TIME He is, and always is God:)

Christ as “man” leads us to Christ Who IS God:thumbsup:

Does that help?

God Bless you!
GREAT question
Patrick

I’ll attempt to address your question by addressing what may be some confusion you may be entertaining with regard to what the Trinity of God actually is (as others have alluded to–indirectly, anyway).

There is one God. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, together, are one god. But, the Father is not the Son; the Son is not the Holy Spirit; and the Holy Spirit is not the Father (paraphrasing St. Augustine, in turn, paraphrasing the Council of Nicea). They are 3 distinct ‘persons’, bound by Love, who share the same will–the Will of God. Their ‘oneness’ lies in the fact that they share this same will–and therefore cannot contradict one another (to contrast with the pagans who believed in a multitude of ‘gods’ with conflicting wills).

So, although God has been revealed to us in three hypostases (or persons), none nullifies the other. Hence God becoming Man in the person of Christ, did not, and does not, nullify God the Father, or God the Holy Spirit.

Now, to answer your question–how can Jesus be God and mediator between God and Man–God became Man (through Christ)–as a man, He suffered, died, and rose again–and in the process, conquered Sin. Sin was the obstacle that stood between God and Man. By conquering Sin, Christ removed the obstacle between God and Man, thereby facilitating–or rather, enabling–Man’s reunion with, and return to, God.

“…no one can come to the Father, except through me;”

Furthermore, although Christ ‘conquered’ Sin, He didn’t obliterate its existence–only its lordship over man (if you will)–that is, prior to, and without Christ, Man remained enslaved to Sin; however, through Christ, Man holds the keys to his own enslavement to Sin; that is, the key to his own salvation—which actually means, returning to God the Father, from whom we were permanently alienated, due to Original Sin–since ‘damnation’–to which were all ‘sentenced’ by default–means permanent alienation from our creator–God the Father.

“…I am the way, the Truth, and the light.”

It is significant to note that point above–that although Christ ‘conquered’ sin, it does NOT mean that Sin was obliterated–only its absolute power/dominion over Man, was defeated. Since Sin still remains, and we are still susceptible to it, we still require Christ as mediator, to ‘bridge the gap’ if you will–to lead us beyond the obstacle of Sin, ‘back’ to God the Father—‘our Father’. Hence when Christ proclaims He is "…the way, the truth and the light’, He is telling us that we must follow Him (the way), to Truth and Light–God (the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)–and thereby mediating the great divide for us.

That’s just my humble take.

Fantastic post. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much everyone!!! It’s the fact that I have my fellow Catholics to help abd encourage me that is letting me carry on. I’m only 17 and my doubts just keep on coming. I’m thinking that God is working through you guys to answer me. Although I’m still trying to understand this concept with which I’m uncomfortable with, I don’t know why. It’s just that I have these thoughts in my head that’s telling me this is not real, God is not real, Jesus isn’t real and I’m just being ATTACKED by this. I know that the end is near but I just dońt have the will to believe. something’s stopping me and it is messing with my whole life. I honestly feel like im gonna die any minute or when I sleep and end up in hell, which is making me sick. It is impossible for me to continue to live my life with these thoughts constantly stuck in my head.

I humbly ask you all to pray for me, I just feel like God is angry or isn’t listening to my cry. Thank you all so much and sorry for any trouble caused :slight_smile:

See if this helps you have a joyous Christmas:

Mary as Mediatrix Proved From Scripture

The Catholic Church recognizes Mary’s role in salvation history and invokes her under the title of Mediatrix. However, many people struggle to understand how Mary can have this role which they reserve for Christ alone, and they cite the following verse in support of their position:

1 Timothy 2:5-6
5For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6who gave himself as a ransom for all men—the testimony given in its proper time.

Hebrews 7:24-25
because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. 25Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

Here we see that Jesus “always lives to intercede” for “those who come to God through him.” The role of the mediator and the intercessor are synonymous; a mediator lives to intercede for others.

All Christians are called to be mediators or intercessors for one another because we are all members of Christ’s body as we see from Paul’s letter to the Ephesians:

Ephesians 1:22-23
“And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, 23which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.”

Paul referred to himself as a co-laborer with Christ when he wrote:

1 Corinthians 3:9
For we are God’s fellow workers.

Paul went further in his understanding of our responsibility as co-laborers with Christ when when he wrote:

Colossians 1:24
Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.

Is anything lacking from the perfect sacrifice that Christ offered upon the Cross? Paul clearly indicates that more is to be done and that he makes up what is “still lacking” in his own flesh.

2 Corinthians 1:6
If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation

Additionally, we know that we are called to share in the priesthood of all believers (cf. 1 Peter 2:5-9), and a priest, by definition, is called to be a mediator between God and men. Each of us is called to this role and to be a mediator or mediatrix for others before God.

Therefore, if we are all called to this role of mediator and intercessor for one another, how much more can this be said of Mary who said, “Yes” to God and brought Christ into the world?

Speaking of this, the Catechism of the Catholic Church states:

967 By her complete adherence to the Father’s will, to his Son’s redemptive work, and to every prompting of the Holy Spirit, the Virgin Mary is the Church’s model of faith and charity. Thus she is a “preeminent and . . . wholly unique member of the Church”; indeed, she is the “exemplary realization” (typus) of the Church.

968 Her role in relation to the Church and to all humanity goes still further. “In a wholly singular way she cooperated by her obedience, faith, hope, and burning charity in the Savior’s work of restoring supernatural life to souls. For this reason she is a mother to us in the order of grace.”

969 “This motherhood of Mary in the order of grace continues uninterruptedly from the consent which she loyally gave at the Annunciation and which she sustained without wavering beneath the cross, until the eternal fulfillment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation . . . . Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix.”

970 “Mary’s function as mother of men in no way obscures or diminishes this unique mediation of Christ, but rather shows its power. But the Blessed Virgin’s salutary influence on men . . . flows forth from the superabundance of the merits of Christ, rests on his mediation, depends entirely on it, and draws all its power from it.” “No creature could ever be counted along with the Incarnate Word and Redeemer; but just as the priesthood of Christ is shared in various ways both by his ministers and the faithful, and as the one goodness of God is radiated in different ways among his creatures, so also the unique mediation of the Redeemer does not exclude but rather gives rise to a manifold cooperation which is but a sharing in this one source.”

Doubts can have a way of preventing us from becoming arrogant in our knowing. Consider them invitations to learn and grow in faith.

As for this happening at Christmas, remember the shepherds and how they were filled with fear as the angel of the Lord appeared to them. Even so, they decided to go to Bethlehem to see what happened. Go to Bethlehem (Mass) and see what the Lord intends to reveal to you. :slight_smile:

“Jesus is God”

As far as I can tell, Jesus Christ and God were one. Not the same as “Jesus is God“. Maybe better if re-stated, “Jesus and God are one”.

Try to understand this, “as we are one”.

John 17:20-23.

"I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word,
so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me.
And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one,
I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me.

“I thought that being a mediator is someone that helps us connect to God”

Jesus Christ died for our sins. And if we repent or change our ways and believe, we will make it to Heaven thru Jesus Christ.

Do not doubt. Just believe. Easy.

My favorite…

When Jesus had said this, he raised his eyes to heaven and said, "Father, the hour has come. Give glory to your son, so that your son may glorify you

“The Prayer of Jesus”
vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PXP.HTM

=Christy_7;11518807]Thank you so much everyone!!! It’s the fact that I have my fellow Catholics to help abd encourage me that is letting me carry on. I’m only 17 and my doubts just keep on coming. I’m thinking that God is working through you guys to answer me. Although I’m still trying to understand this concept with which I’m uncomfortable with, I don’t know why. It’s just that I have these thoughts in my head that’s telling me this is not real, God is not real, Jesus isn’t real and I’m just being ATTACKED by this. I know that the end is near but I just dońt have the will to believe. something’s stopping me and it is messing with my whole life. I honestly feel like im gonna die any minute or when I sleep and end up in hell, which is making me sick. It is impossible for me to continue to live my life with these thoughts constantly stuck in my head.

I humbly ask you all to pray for me, I just feel like God is angry or isn’t listening to my cry. Thank you all so much and sorry for any trouble caused :slight_smile:

OK, so this dear friend is HOW all can Know God is real.

Read Gen 1: verses 26-27 and then come back to me and ask ME how we "are like [emulate] God:thumbsup:

God Bless you,
Patrick

Christy_7. You asked:

Do we Catholics believe that Jesus is a Mediator between men and God? I thought that being a mediator is someone that helps us connect to God. But how is this possible when Jesus is God. I just don’t entirely get this Mediator thingamajig

The question you should be asking is:

HOW does Jesus MEDIATE between God and man?

The answer is on His own (as you have implied) AND . . . . . .

. . . . Jesus WORKS in us and through us (“working together with him”).

And we need to cooperate with these graces.

2nd CORINTHIANS 6:1 1 Working together with him, then, we entreat you not to accept the grace of God in vain.

How does the one mediator (Jesus) between God and man mediate?

[LIST]
*]Jesus mediates in a sense without us . . . . and . . . .
[/LIST]
[LIST]
*]Jesus ALSO mediates in a sense with us (through grace)
[/LIST]

So basically what you’re saying is Jesus the man is the mediator and Jesus te Son (part of the Holy Trinity) is God including the Father and the Holy Spirit. Do you mean that cos Jesus was both man and God, Jesus cannot be called God but only the Son person can be called God? I think… I’m a lost cause. It’s just hard for me to believe I don’t know why’s gonna make me believe and this is stopping me from going to Mass and getting communion. I feel like my whole faith and belief is being challenged by me. I’m my own enemy.

Are you implying that Jesus cannot be called God? If so why did people worship Him in His presence:
Mark 5:5-9
And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones.
But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him,
And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.
For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit.
And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.

This is the reason why I’m confused some people are like He is God and otters not if He isn’t then out whole Christian faith would be questioned. And the mediator part which I’m still coming into terms with is very hard to understand.

=Cathoholic;11519968]Christy_7. You asked:

The question you should be asking is:

HOW does Jesus MEDIATE between God and man?

The answer is on His own (as you have implied) AND . . . . . .

. . . . Jesus WORKS in us and through us (“working together with him”).

And we need to cooperate with these graces.

2nd CORINTHIANS 6:1 1 Working together with him, then, we entreat you not to accept the grace of God in vain.

How does the one mediator (Jesus) between God and man mediate?

[LIST]
*]Jesus mediates in a sense without us . . . . and . . . .
[/LIST]
[LIST]
*]Jesus ALSO mediates in a sense with us (through grace)
[/LIST]

While this is correct and nicely done, it is however a bit incomplete.:o

God choose to become Incarnate MAN, precisely to make amends for the Sins of Adam and Even; and the inherited consequences of Original Sin; in a new and better way:

Circumcision of the OT [w/o grace] is replaced by Sacramental Baptism WITH Grace.

And this is JUST A PART of what Christ accomplished as the Man-God in our midst.:thumbsup: So there is a theplogical sense of Christ the MAN as mediator also.

Christy_7, you are ABSOLUTELY correct! Jesus IS GOD! Don’t be surprised that you get wrong answers to your questions here. It is an internet forum.

Regarding your “doubts.” I think you might be surprised to learn that John Henry Newman once said “A thousand difficulties do not make a single doubt”

IOW, you are having difficulty understanding certain doctrines, and are looking for answers. That is GOOD! Those are not doubts. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.