A little peeved

Ever heard of Magic Erasers? If so, then what about its counterpart - Scotch Brite Easy Erasing pad? Here’s what the warnings say: “The Easy Erasing Pad is a very effective cleaning tool which may dull glossy plastic or other **soft **surfaces, and may change the appearance of some **painted **surfaces. Test first in an inconspicuous area using light pressure…” <–yeah, should have done that but I thought it meant to test on plastic, soft or painted surfaces, to make sure it would be okay.

Since when are **countertops **1. plastic 2. soft or 3. painted?

I have just ruined my brand new countertops. :crying: They’ve gone from a lovely black sheen to dull and lifeless.

What kind do you have? If you’ve got Corian, granite, or something else similar, you may be able to restore them!

OHHHHH NOOOOOO!!! You poor dear!!! I would call the people who did your counter tops and see if there is anything they recommend. Then write a nasty letter to Scotch with photos. :mad:

~Liza

Yeah right. I wanted nice but cheap - we have Formica. :frowning: I’ve already called them and they said they get complaints all the time about those dumb erasing pads and there’s nothing that can be done. And they haven’t yet figured out why Scotch Brite doesn’t warn people.

Cause formica is basically - plastic.

You might try using something like mop-n-glo or future to add back some shine…

Here is Magic Eraser’s warning, which makes TONS more sense and I would NOT have used them on the countertops (I always read labels).

“Attention: The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Foaming Cleaner is a highly effective cleaning tool. Test first on an inconspicuous spot with light pressure to see if surface may scratch or dull. Not recommended for use on surfaces that are polished/glossy, or on brushed, satin, dark, or faux finishes…”

Seriously? What is the stuff? A sheet covered with plastic or plastic in itself?

Guess I’ll just consider it another lesson in detachment. :shrug: Kinda like when you get that first dent in your brand new car. Or that first two inch gouge on your new dining room table.

Sorry about that Sancta. :frowning:

I’ve heard much about these magic erasers – many great things, many bad things! There doesn’t seem to be any “in-between” with them.

For instance here is a story about a little boy getting chemical burns from using one. kerflop.com/2006/11/02/chemical-burn-original/

Evidently the story has generated some controversy. . even Snopes referenced it. Take it for what its worth, but I know I would think twice about letting a child use one of these things.

VC

Both were products for floors, but, they are liquid and dry to a shine that one can walk on and is not dissolved with water…

The Formica people I called said they work similarly to bleach. They are chemical-based and though it’s not bleach, it acts the same way. So I’m not surprised.

:(! Reminds me of when I put a dent in our sparkly new fridge a few months ago.

But I remember seeing on HGTV, back when we had TV, that you can actually paint countertops. I don’t remember much about it at all though. I seem to remember that there is special paint just for that purpose. You can do faux techniques and make them look like granite or some other stone.

Painting sounds like a good idea. I didn’t know you could paint countertops!

What about some sort of food-safe epoxy? Epoxy is always really shiny (from what I’ve seen, anyway).

If they get complaints “all the time about those dumb erasing pads” then why didn’t they warn you about it in the first place. :confused:

Catholig

Warning about the paint - we did try that on some old formica countetops - it never seemed to really set, always felt a bit sticky and did not seem to last…

I second the mop-n-glo type product.

Another idea is to use the same stuff you would use to polish and seal a granite countertop.

I need to warn my husband before he tries to use one of those on our countertops!!!

I believe it is just the foaming ones that are bleach like. They say that the burns that the boy got were abrasions. Those things are pretty rough though, but for some things they would great.

“Scotch-Brite” pads…

Original purpose - a substitute for Steel Wool to SCOUR crud off of dirty dishes!

Discovered secondary purposes - great for removing minor corrosion/rust off of steel, copper, or other metals.
Body & Fender shops buy them by the case to “rough up/take gloss off/prep” a car fender before it goes into the paint booth! They even (commercially) are available in different grades/grits of abrasiveness!
Plain & Simple they are an abrasive medium - exactly the same as sandpaper - just in a more flexible media.

“Formica” is plastic. It’s a layer of “design” (pebble pattern) or color, under a thin clear/gloss layer that’s bonded to a backer layer…the whole product is 1/16" thick or less - and 1/10 of that is the “finish” color/pattern. Scratch through the “finish” layers and you’re into the substrate/backer.

If they were Corian or similar the color/pattern is throughout the product. By using finer abrasives (polishing compounds, etc.) the substrate could be buffed out to match the surrounding “top surface” finish.

I think she’s referring to the magic eraser type pads, and not the green scruby pads.

mud.mm-a2.yimg.com/image/2488214356

She’s referring to these

Doesn’t matter - they’re still a dirivative (lower "grit/abrasive properties) of the original product… an abrasive media on a flexible pad.

This is the sole purpose of the warning/disclaimer… “Test on an inconspicuous spot 1st… blah blah…”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.