A Man For All Seasons

This movie is about the last seven years of St. Thomas More, who was beheaded in 1535. for not signing an oath recognizing King Henry VIII as the supreme head of the Church of England which was founded after he couldn’t get the Pope to divorce him from his wife who couldn’t give him an heir to the throne.

The movie won six Oscars, including Picture of the Year and Best Actor for Paul Scofield.

Excellent movie. Superior acting. It shows how an attorney who was surrounded by corruption at this time, just as this corrupt time, could still have a backbone, and fulfill his duties to both God and law.

I saw this movie at the suggestion of a priest who discussed it during his homily on More’s feast day, June 22nd.

A genius line that the priest quoted St. Thomas saying in the movie in response to the Duke of Norfolk’s attempt to get him for the excuse of ‘fellowship’ is:

“And when we die, and you are sent to heaven for doing your conscience, and I am sent to hell for not doing mine, will you come with me, for fellowship?”

There’s also another line: “Yes! I’d give the devil the benefit of the law–for my own protection.”

I love the movie. There’s also a TV production (a bit more faithful to the stage play) with Charleton Heston.

However one thing to remember–as edifying and inspiring as the movie may be, it’s not historcially accurate in all places. But that’s the thing with historical drama.

“I die his majesties good servant but God’s first”

“It profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world . . . . . but for Wales?”

I have never seen the movie version of it but I did read the play by Robert Bolt and enjoyed it.

Being as I am in law enforcement I loved the quote (paraphrasing as best I can):

*The law requires more than an assumption, the law requires a fact. *

God bless

Great movie! A classic.
I think Paul Scofield passed away recently.

“Roper, the answer is no, and will be no as long as you’re a heretic!” :smiley:

That’s even funnier now that I have daughters!!!

Great movie. Thanks for the memories!

My favorite line from the whole movie. Just the inflection he gives it makes Wales so insignificant that I’d be offended if I were Welsh.
Of course, more recently we have someone being rewarded with a post in Malta.

As a soon-to-be-lawyer (St Thomas is patron of lawyers) and a newly-professed Third Order Franciscan, as St Thomas was … I’ve got to say HE DA MAN!!! :thumbsup:

This is one of my favorite movies. What I loved most was how the movie and the play portrayed More’s wit:

Wolsey: You should have been a cleric.
More: Like yourself, your grace?

More: I give the devil the benefit of the law for my own safety’s sake.

Good for you! Are you going to become a canon lawyer? I’m a transactional lawyer in private practice (my firm represents the local diocese, though I haven’t personally done a lot of work for them).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.