A man has been beheaded on the street in Eragny, near Paris.The victim was a school teacher who had shown Mohammed cartoons. The terrorist has been killed

Glad I live the USA and not overseas.

This was an 18 year old who decapitated the teacher for showing news article about current events, the Hebdo trials , in class. The teacher showed caricatures of Mohammed during aclass.

Intentional homicide rate per 100,000 inhabitants:

• France: 1.2
  • United States: 4.96

You are more than four times more likely to be murdered in the US than you are in France.

Also, please note that by European standards, France actually has a relatively high intentional homicide rate. European countries with lower intentional homicide rate per 100,000 include:

• Andorra: 0
  • Bailiwick of Guernsey : 0
  • Bailiwick of Jersey: 0
  • Isle of Man: 0
  • Monaco: 0
  • San Marino: 0
  • Vatican City: 0
  • Luxembourg: 0.3
  • Norway: 0.47
  • Slovenia: 0.48
  • Italy: 0.57
  • Croatia: 0.58
  • Netherlands: 0.59
  • Switzerland: 0.59
  • Czech Republic: 0.6
  • Spain: 0.62
  • Poland: 0.73
  • Portugal: 0.79
  • Ireland: 0.87
  • Iceland: 0.89
  • Greece: 0.94
  • Germany: 0.95
  • Austria: 0.97
  • Denmark: 1.01
  • Sweden: 1.08
  • Scotland: 1.12
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina: 1.17

The only countries in Europe with a higher intentional homicide rate than the United States are Russia and Ukraine.

As a New Zealander, I’d like to add that New Zealand and Australia have intentional homicide rates of 0.7 and 0.89 per 100,000, respectively.

How about a more realistic comparison, such as France compared to a specific state or something?

Why is that more realistic?

Because each state has its own laws and cultures, and thereby is a more accurate comparison.

States aren’t provinces.

Why do Americans think that they are the only country with regional differences?

We don’t. But it is the United STATES not the United STATE.

So France, for example (like if we annexed it), would be a STATE, and should be compared with other states.

France and the USA are both countries, I don’t see why they can’t be compared directly. France and the US are both nation-states - the fact that you call your regional administrative units “states” doesn’t make them separate countries.

As to your first argument, you could also take regional areas within France and get a very different homicide rate. Like in the US, it will be very high in some areas and very low in others. This would apply to all countries.

Yes, and each state is also a country that has its own rights and laws.

Yes, and each state also has more regions that will change the rate.

I don’t understand why this is so controversial for you, it’s not like it “lowers the number”. Only one state had a lower rate than France.

I am not entirely convinced of the validity of your point, but I don’t mind copying and pasting the desired information for you.

• Louisiana: 11.4
  • Missouri: 9.9
  • Alaska: 8.2
  • Maryland: 8.1
  • New Mexico: 8.0
  • Alabama: 7.8
  • South Carolina: 7.7
  • Tennessee: 7.4
  • Arkansas: 7.2
  • Illinois: 6.9
  • Nevada: 6.7
  • Indiana: 6.5
  • Georgia: 6.1
  • Pennsylvania: 6.1
  • North Carolina: 6.0
  • Mississippi: 5.7
  • Kentucky: 5.5
  • Michigan: 5.5
  • Florida: 5.2
  • Oklahoma: 5.2
  • Arizona: 5.1
  • Delaware: 5.0
  • Ohio: 4.8
  • Texas: 4.6
  • Virginia: 4.6
  • California: 4.4
  • Kansas: 3.9
  • Colorado: 3.7
  • West Virginia: 3.7
  • Montana: 3.2
  • New Jersey: 3.2
  • Washington: 3.1
  • Wisconsin: 3.0
  • New York: 2.9
  • Hawaii: 2.5
  • North Dakota: 2.4
  • Connecticut: 2.3
  • Nebraska: 2.3
  • Wyoming: 2.3
  • Idaho: 2.0
  • Massachusetts: 2.0
  • Oregon: 2.0
  • Minnesota: 1.9
  • Utah: 1.9
  • Maine: 1.8
  • Iowa: 1.7
  • Vermont: 1.6
  • New Hampshire: 1.5
  • Rhode Island: 1.5
  • South Dakota: 1.4
  • France: 1.2

It’s just a closer comparison.

This is a terrible crime. The following is most useful comment I can come up with right now:

Peace Prayer of Saint Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace:
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy.

O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen.

@crenfro
This is indeed a horrific crime. Not to quibble but in fact that prayer is not written by St. Francis. It’s a World War I era poem from France. So I suppose it’s particularly appropriate.

Because the US is a Republic. Each state has their own ways to govern and thus do not have to have the exact same laws.

For example the Gun laws. The constitution give is the right to bear arms. That is that, and nothing else, no restrictions. Well the government started making “restrictions” on gun laws not long ago. But each state has added or taken away this laws.

For example Philadelphia lets you have weapons. But the amount of paperwork needed for it is ridiculous. They even want you to write an essay. But other states like Texas you only need ID.

The government rules states that a background check needs to happen. All the states do that. Those who do no background check, are breaking the law.

There is more, but that is just an example.

So is France.

It is. Nice, I did not know.

Edit: Actually I did used to know that. I simply forgot. Oy me!

You are overlooking the elephant in the room

Oh I’m sure if we wait long enough the elephant will be identified.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.