A man may have died today

I was working cash in the store restaurant. Suddenly, this man (named “George”) let out a loud cry and slipped from the booth. We called 911, and then I and another associate tried to help. God forgive me, but it’s been too many years since I took CPR, and it took precious seconds to get started. It took three of us to roll him over – he was bigger than I was, and I weigh 100 kg plus. I swept his airway – no obstructions – but he didn’t gag when I did – maybe a bad sign? He started to turn blue, and every few seconds he would take a great sucking breath, but then collapse again. We ciouldn’t find a pulse – don’t know if it was because there wasn’t one, or we couldn’t find it because of the very thick flesh under his chin. So the associate started compressions. I couldn’t get a good grip on his head to tilt it back, it was slick with sweat and so heavy. Thank God EMS finally arrived – they did CPR on him I don’t know how many times, and defibbed him at least four times before they even got him on the gurney. I just started praying while I was there, then started a rosary – Sorrowful Mysteries. I was on the decade of the Crucifixion when they wheeled him out. They were still working on him as they wheeled him out of the store.

I pray to God we didn’t fail George in his hour of need.

All I know about him is that he is at least in his fifties, and is married – apparently every Tuesday he goes to the doctor with his wife. And his name is George.

Please pray for George’s survival.

I normally “offer up” my little hardships as a penance against Purgatory – today I offer them up for poor George, if he needs them.

:signofcross:

Our Father,
Who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy Will be done,
On Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us,
And lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.

Hail Mary, full of grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
And blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
Pray for us sinners,
Now and at the hour of our death.

Glory be to the Father
And to the Son
And to the Holy Spirit:
As it was in the beginning,
Is now,
And ever shall be,
World without end.

AMEN.

† JMJTJ †

God bless you for offering to help him!
Be assured you did your best (I am a semi retired nurse).
If they defibbed him 4 times, he had major problems!
At least you made the attempt and just those efforts may have spared his life!
It is unnerving to witness…I will pray for your peace, and for God’s will to be done for George’s life.

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us, and increase Your mercy in us, so that in difficult moments we might not despair, nor become despondent, but with great confidence, submit ourselves to Your Holy Will, which is Love and Mercy itself. Amen

***God bless you † ***

Thank you for your kind words, Gail. They are a comfort.

Bless you, too, in your vocations as Nurse and Carmelite. The world needs more of both. :thumbsup:

praying for this man. God blessyou for trying to help him
Iwill also pray for you
grandma glor

I think you acted in the best way possible and that you did well. :slight_smile:
I’m praying for George and for you right now.

God Bless,

Claire

I am praying!

George is in my prayer

Jesus I honour and thank You for Your kindness in letting Ghoti be present to George in his desperate need. How loving of You! How sweetly You have arranged things so that George had wise aid immediately offered, and so much prayer made available to George!
I thank You, Jesus, for the great love that You have thus given to this unknown brother of ours!

Don’t be upset, Ghoti. You have been Jesus present to our needy brother. You have also made us Jesus present to him through our prayer. Who knows if but for you there has been no one to pray for George! Rejoice for the privilege that God has given you!

Thank you all for your kind words for me and your prayers for Bob (one of the associates said his name was “George” – it is in fact “Bob”).

Unfortunately, Bob did not make it – he was DOA. I get the impression he was possibly dead – or beyond saving – by the time the paramedics arrived. He was not married – possibly divorced. Don’t know much more than that – his relationship with store staff was that of a frequent customer, first name, odd tidbit of info, not much more.

At any rate, he is in the Lord’s care now.

Eternal rest, grant unto your servant Bob, O Lord,
and let light eternal shine upon him.
May his soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed,
rest in peace. Amen.

Thank God for people like you to help those in need. I will pray for George and for all involved!!!

The Lord is with thee.
Pray for us sinners,

Praying for Bob, RIP, and those he has left behind.

From another in Toronto…

Praying for ‘George’…may the Lord be by his side…

LORD Jesus
Heal UR Son .

RIP and God bless you for your heroic efforts!

Praying.JERRY:)

Prayer for him in my house. You did what you could and that is all anyone can do. Bravo for your efforts. God Bless.

“Give thanks to the Lord for He is good”.

praying :gopray:

Our Father,
Who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy Will be done,
On Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us,
And lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.

The Lord is with thee.
Pray for us sinners,

Glory be to the Father
And to the Son
And to the Holy Spirit:
As it was in the beginning,
Is now,
And ever shall be,
World without end.

Amen :amen:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.