The topic I would like to discuss and encourage others to discuss is whether a mere human being can ever come to know the Transcendent by himself. I contend that it is impossible and even if they did, they will not know they have grasped the Transcendent.
I present the following argument
- The knowledge attained directly by human being is through experience
- The human being experiences through his five senses
- To claim that a human being can experience the supernatural via another sense is in itself a religious claim that must be first proven/given reason to believe
- It is impossible to give evidence or reasons for (3). Hence (3) is not possible.
- Therefore, no human being can ever come to posses knowledge of the Transcendent unless it reveals itself to him
The second part of this argument would be to assert that this means any religious founder who claims to know the transcendent must always give proof that either
- He has been contacted by a being from the Transcendent
- Or that he himself is from the Transcendent world
Both of these mean that the person has to show miracles that are historically reliable (if we were not around at the time he was around). But that is for a different matter.
First I would like to see what the thoughts of people are on this matter. I was under the impression that the title should be obvious but I have encountered many who think its unreasonable to say such a thing. I would like to discuss that matter here.