A message from Screwtape

While reading C.S. Lewis’s *Screwtape Letters *this morning, I came across this passage and reflected how well this warning is suited to our present times. For those unfamiliar with the work, “the Enemy” refers to God since it is written from the standpoint of the devil.

Quote: Screwtape

All extremes except extreme devotion to the Enemy are to be encouraged. Not always, of course, but at this period. Some ages are lukewarm and complacent, and then it is our business to soothe them yet faster asleep. Other ages, of which the present is one, are unbalanced and prone to faction, and it is our business to inflame them. Any small coterie, bound together by some interest which other men dislike or ignore, tends to develop inside itself a hothouse mutual admiration, and towards the outer world, a great deal of pride and hatred which is entertained without shame because the “Cause” is its sponsor and it is thought to be impersonal. Even when the little group exists originally for the Enemy’s own purposes, this remains true. We want the Church to be small not only that fewer men may know the Enemy but also that those who do may acquire the uneasy intensity and the defensive self-righteousness of a secret society or a clique. The Church herself is, of course, heavily defended, and we have never yet quite succeeded in giving her *all *the characteristics of a faction; but subordinate factions within her have often produced admirable results, from the parties of Paul and of Apollos at Corinth down to the High and Low parties in the Church of England.

A house divided against itself cannot stand, and the devil knows this well.

Screwtape Letters is brilliant piece of work by Lewis. After reading it all through, however, you can see why he became tired of writing from the devil’s standpoint-- even reading it, you get tired of having this nasty little voice constantly egging on Wormwood to destroy the soul of man. Which merely goes to prove how well Lewis wrote. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, The Screwtape Letters is brilliant piece and one of my favorites.

But, what exactly did you post that here for? :confused:

I really don’t trust C.S. Lewis that much as he seems pretty devious to me.

He did write Mere Christianity which is very good in some ways as it simply states and clears up a lot of barriers to Christianity.

Yet to quote another author I enjoy, “Anyone who knows that much about how devils work is very dangerous.”

I started to read the Screwtape letters yet halfway through I stopped as I couldn’t stomach it anymore. C.S. Lewis writes brilliantly yet there is something about his writing that just doesn’t seem right.
He leaves too much to personal preference and rarely to an adherence to truth.

God Bless
Scylla

it is a fairly self examining book, if you can read it and say you are clear of any of the sort of things in it, your probably not being honest with yourself.

:shrug: :slight_smile:

But it is hard to read what the devil is up too, I have a friend who couldnt read This Present Darkness, same problem. I guess Lewis’s advice would be best, If it helps take it, if it does not then leave it.

I do Like C. S. Lewis. I realy like his friend G.K. Chesterton. Lewis was not Catholic, but Chesterton was. Thank you for reminding me of Lewis’ work.

Actually, I didn’t. It got moved here.

I posted it because of the clear message it gives about the division that is occurring within the Church and how much that plays into the devil’s plans.

My wife and I love C.S. Lewis, and this passage is a good example as to why.

I have never seen a more accessible view of salvation than that presented in the “Great Divorce”. If you haven’t read it, I recommend it.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.