A miracle for the apostle of the lepers

HONOLULU, Hawaii, OCT. 6, 2009 (Zenit.org).- “No one has survived this cancer. This illness will take you,” said Doctor Walter Chang to Audrey Toguchi in 1997 since, scientifically, there was nothing that could be done for her.

But Toguchi didn’t die from her cancer and her cure turned out to be the decisive miracle for the canonization of Father Damien de Veuster. Father Damien will be canonized this Sunday during a Mass celebrated by Benedict XVI in St. Peter’s Square.

Father Damien, also known as the apostle of the lepers, was born in Belgium in 1840. At 33 he went to the island of Molokai, Hawaii, where lepers were sent and lived in isolation.

Depriving himself of everything, the priest stayed there serving, catechizing and administering the sacraments to those who had contracted this disease. He himself contracted it and died in 1899. Pope John Paul II beatified him in 1995.

More: zenit.org/article-27072?l=english

Wow!

I just this afternoon saw the hour-long documentary on EWTN about Father Damien!

I’ve always wondered when he was gonna be cannonized! :smiley:

i really cant wait to get EWTN i should have it by 2 to 4 weeks. i live in australia and i finally found a company that can install the dish for me with that channel on it. $495 well spent. i fee up front and thats it. it took a while but i found them on the internet and it is a non profit organisation so money goes into making catholic documenties and so on. carry on

Here is a piece PBS did on this back in January:

pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/episodes/january-23-2009/father-damiens-legacy/2030/

What’s cool about this, is the woman’s doctor, Dr. Chang, did a piece in a peer-reviewed medical journal back in 2000, which mentioned this case.

I can’t get the full text, but here is a link to the abstract:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11789163

For those interested in this new Saint, here are several article from the Honolulu diocese.

hawaiicatholicherald.org/

Also, the Canonization of Fr. Damien will be broadcast live on EWTN Saturday evening.

HOORAY!!! Hawaii’s first SAINT!!!:thumbsup:

And YES!, The special on EWTN Wednesday was GREAT!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.