A Mormon has confused me!

I was talking theology with a Mormon at school and she was telling me that there is no Trinity!! She used the example of Jesus on the Cross praying: “Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do”. Then she stated that this shows how Jesus could not be God because He wouldn’t pray to himself. I responded by saying that He was setting an example for us on how we should accept persecution as Christians and Catholics. Was this an okay response??

[quote=trliber8]I was talking theology with a Mormon at school and she was telling me that there is no Trinity!! She used the example of Jesus on the Cross praying: “Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do”. Then she stated that this shows how Jesus could not be God because He wouldn’t pray to himself. I responded by saying that He was setting an example for us on how we should accept persecution as Christians and Catholics. Was this an okay response??
[/quote]

Sort of I think but while there is just one God, there are three persons.

This just shows us how Mormons are not Christians as they deny the Trinity, one of the main tenets that all Christians, protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox, believe in.

Philippians 2:6-11

Though he was in the form of God,
Jesus did not deem equality with God
something to be grasped at.
Rather, he emptied himself
and took the form of a slave,
being born in the likeness of men.

He was known to be of human estate,
and it was thus that he humbled himself,
obediently accepting even death,
death on a cross!

Because of this,
God highly exalted him
and bestowed on him the name
above every other name,

So that at Jesus name
every knee must bend
in the heavens, on the earth,
and under the earth,
and every tongue proclaim
to the glory of God the Father:
JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!

[quote=trliber8]I was talking theology with a Mormon at school and she was telling me that there is no Trinity!! She used the example of Jesus on the Cross praying: “Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do”. Then she stated that this shows how Jesus could not be God because He wouldn’t pray to himself. I responded by saying that He was setting an example for us on how we should accept persecution as Christians and Catholics. Was this an okay response??
[/quote]

I suggest you get a copy of the Catholic Answers Bible. Just about any question non-Catholics have can be answered very quickly, painlessly and better than most of us can. I just purchased the revised version and am giving an LDS friend my original copy. He read it and then asked if he could have a copy since, as he said, “it has more answers than I thought I had questions”. The question of the Trinity is addressed and is very nicely explained.

Keep the faith

Love and peace

Mom of 5

[quote=Mom of 5]I suggest you get a copy of the Catholic Answers Bible. Just about any question non-Catholics have can be answered very quickly, painlessly and better than most of us can. I just purchased the revised version and am giving an LDS friend my original copy. He read it and then asked if he could have a copy since, as he said, “it has more answers than I thought I had questions”. The question of the Trinity is addressed and is very nicely explained.

Keep the faith

Love and peace

Mom of 5
[/quote]

can you please direct me to where I can find one? Thanx.

Be careful in engaging other faiths, unless you are firmly ground in yours. The catholic answers website is a great start, read all of it.

Also, it’s helpful to understand the teachings of the other faiths; the catholic answers website has good sections on Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and Protestants.

Always keep this in mind, As Catholics we have history.

1. Jesus did exist and the apostles and their disciples believed he was God (we have nonchristian sources, roman and Jewish historians).

2. Jesus directly taught his apostles and disciples. (read NT, by the way don’t by the bunk that the bible wasn’t written until 100’s of years later, there are fragments of Mark’s the date to 70s AD)

3. These apostles taught their disciples (see the writings of the early church fathers)

4. Both the apostles and their disciples DIED rather than renounce Jesus (if it all was a lie the apostle died to protect this lie for what reason?) (Hindus claim a deity with trinity and a God/man called Vishnu that predates Jesus however no martyrs and oldest writing dates to 600ad) (Islam plenty of “martyrs” now, none immediately following Mohammad)

5. Plenty of witness to verify what was said in bible was correct. Even St. Paul writes in one of his letter that if you don’t believe him you can check with the hundreds that witness Jesus.
    (Islam-Mohammad only one who received message from angel and no miracles to prove he was a divine messenger)
    (Mormon-Joseph smith spoke to an angel, behind a sheet and friends wrote it down {some of these friends later said it was all made up :hmmm: no martyrs})
    (Jehovah’s Witnesses-founder was high school dropout, overwhelmed by thoughts of eternal punishment, re-translates New Testament from original Greek–Later on he testified in court and had to admit on the stand that he could not read Greek.)

I could keep going on but there are others that can do a much better job. My favorite is “Mere Christianity” C.S. Lewis.

God Bless
Beebs

[quote=PraRFLEsEkHm]can you please direct me to where I can find one? Thanx.
[/quote]

www.getfed.com as well as other Catholic book sights. Prices vary a little, so you might want to compare. I love the updated version, “The New Catholic Answer Bible”. (pink and purple cover) the older one is good as well, “The Catholic Answer Bible”. (green and blue cover) They are both paperback and price from about $20.00 to $26.00. Enjoy!

Mom of Peace

Most likely, your Mormon friend was also confusing ‘Prayer’ with ‘Worship’

the verb “To Pray” means to ask, to implore ( Like Shakespear’s Queen Gertrude in Hamlet " I pray thee, go not to Whittenburg")

Christ is a Person of the Trinity. He may ask something of the Father (and does at several points in the Bible) without worshipping the Father.

When we walk closer to God in our lives and learn more of
who God really is, it becomes much easier for us to share that with others.
Jesus, the Father and the Holy Ghost are all one God, but they are three individual persons. Of course Jesus is going to talk to the Father. The same way we would talk to a brother or sister who are all one family.
We could look at the Godhead as a family also. The only family who IS God!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.