"A Mother's Tears"

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

This morning’s Gospel and Commentary, are worth re-reading and pondering:

Tuesday of the Twenty-fourth week in Ordinary Time
Saint Ambrose (c.340-397), Bishop of Milan and Doctor of the Church
Commentary on Luke 7:11

A mother’s tears

God’s mercy quickly allows itself to be moved by this mother’s tears. She is a widow; the suffering or death of her only son have crushed her… It seems to me that this widow, surrounded by a crowd of people, is more than just a simple woman deserving of her young and only son’s resurrection through her tears. She is the image itself of Holy Church who, by her tears, in the midst of the funeral procession and on the brink of the grave gains a restoration to life of the youthful people of the world… For at God’s word the dead are raised (Jn 5,28), they regain their speech and the mother recovers her son. He is called back from the tomb, snatched from the sepulchre.

What is this tomb of yours if not your evil behavior ? Your tomb is lack of faith… Christ sets you free from this sepulchre. If you listen to God’s word you will come out of the tomb. And if your sin is too serious for the tears of your repentance to cleanse it, may the tears of your mother the Church intercede on your behalf. She is, indeed, full of compassion and feels a wholly maternal spiritual sorrow when she sees her children dragged off to death by sin.

I was so blessed to read this commentary because I have often read this Gospel in which Jesus has compassion on the widowed mother and raises her son back to life. I wondered if Jesus saw in this woman, His own Mother and His Plan for her to be the Model for His Church.

Mary, Mother of the Church, pray for us.
O Lady of Sorrows, pray for us. http://www.piercedhearts.org/z_imagenes/mary/our-lady-of-sorrows.jpg

Thank you and God bless you for sharing this

Thanks for your reply, goforgoal,

More and more I see by faith how Mary is Mother of the Church, and how all of us are called to weep with her. May the Holy Spirit kindle in us all, as Church, true sons and daughters of God and Mary, the Fire of His Love! May we obey with all our hearts the commandment of Jesus to love one another as He has loved us.

By God’s Grace, may we weep because Love – God Himself – has not been loved, by us and by others. Let us weep for the sins of the world and pray for unity among all who follow Christ. By our love for one another we come to know God’s Love: He so loved the world He sent Jesus, through Mary, overshadowed by the Holy Spirit. He continues to send Jesus through Mary and through us, His Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.