A Muslim and a Catholic want to get married...

As far as I know, this is considered a taboo of sorts, especially when it’s a Catholic male and a Muslim female, and both are discouraged to marrying each other. Pardon my ignorance, but in Islam, is death preferred for the female than “risking” her conversion to the faith of her husband, in this case a Catholic? Also, if the man does convert to Islam, does their family have to distance itself from the husband’s non-Muslim in-laws? Can I safely assume that this is largely a cultural issue and not an Islamic issue per se? :confused:

If a Catholic man and a Muslim woman seeks to marry it is quite obvious they are not very religious to began. If they are in America, I wouldn’t worry about the death issue. As far as the family is concerned it depends on the family, every family is different. They will have to work that out. Will it be easy for them, probably not. Families are difficult even if they follow the same religion.

As I know under Islamic law, it is allowed for a muslim man to marry non-muslim woman as long as she is a Jew or a Christian. On the other had, under the same law it is not allowed for a muslim woman to marry a non-muslim man.

And Catholic is not allowed to marry outside the religion period, male or female.

:confused:

Probably culture has more to do with it, like honor killing.

Christianity and Islam are very far apart in culture and way of life, unless a couple are very sure of it, they are surely embarking on a marriage life with huge potential for problem. Thus it is not advisable though it is not totally prohibited. In this light the potential of distancing themselves from the non-Muslims in-laws could easily happen unless there is great understanding on both parts.

Catholicism allows for mixed marriages and one can get a blessing from the Church provided you get a dispensation from the Bishop.

Perhaps it just Orthodox Christians that aren’t allowed to marry outside the religion. I just thought that Orthodox and Catholics were on the same page. I stand corrected.

For the Catholic, in order to get a dispensation, promises need to be made to raise the children Catholic.

Hello TheSufi - I am Catholic and married outside of my religion. I was given a dispensation and my marriage is considered sacramental.

:confused:

I’m Eastern Orthodox and married to a Catholic man.

That is the orthodox position since the man is seen as the head of the family she will eventually be pressured into conversion or dropping faith in God entirely. However she can shop for 'progressive" Muslim leaders who will say it is permissible and valid.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church

1633 In many countries the situation of a mixed marriage (marriage between a Catholic and a baptized non-Catholic) often arises. It requires particular attention on the part of couples and their pastors. A case of marriage with disparity of cult (between a Catholic and a non-baptized person) requires even greater circumspection.

1635 According to the law in force in the Latin Church, a mixed marriage needs for liceity the express permission of ecclesiastical authority.** In case of disparity of cult an express dispensation from this impediment is required for the validity of the marriage**. This permission or dispensation presupposes that both parties know and do not exclude the essential ends and properties of marriage; and furthermore that the Catholic party confirms the obligations, which have been made known to the non-Catholic party, of preserving his or her own faith and ensuring the baptism and education of the children in the Catholic Church.

Only the Catholic in the relationship has to make this commitment, and it is phrased more like they “must do whatever they can to raise [their] children Catholic”.

I’m a bit concerned because it already happened to my male cousin (Catholic) in Australia. Her family threatened the kill them both if they married and if my cousin didn’t convert to Islam. Supposedly, the couple tried to escape from the in-laws in the UK, but the family followed them even there, so my cousin decided to convert to Islam to keep the peace.

Now, however, his wife doesn’t want her family associating with her Christian in-laws, which has led to some difficulties, esp. with the children wanting to see their grandparents. Any suggestions on what could be done to lessen the tension between families? :frowning:

My wife is Eastern Orthodox and I am Catholic. You are possibly thinking of some branches of Oriental Orthodoxy where marrying outside the faith is not allowed.

abc

Well, the family of your cousin’s wife are guilty of stalking, which, I would think, is a crime in the UK. Not to mention that your cousin and his wife’s lives are in danger. Sure, what the muslim woman did is horrific by Islamic standards; it is a disgrace to the covenant of marriage, but by no means does that give her family a license to travel halfway across the world to stalk them, whilst threatening to murder both of them.

Call the police. I’m not kidding. Let them know how far this has gone and that this is a matter of life and death.

Incorrect. I married a Protestant and I am Catholic. He changed years after our marriage. But he did not have to.

So you are misguided on your info.

You may want to check that out. Because even if the other is protestant they have to allow the Children to become Catholic. And yes it would only make sense the Catholic would be the one to hold this promise.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.