A Must See Edith Stein She Was A Really Good Carmelite

youtube.com/watch?v=dlfOZXCAcKY I hope you all like it.

God bless you Brandee for sharing this video.

Yes, she was a really good Carmelite among the many Holy men and women who are Carmelite Saints as well.

Here is another video from YouTube that may interest you about Blessed Miguel Pro and St. Edith Stein

youtube.com/watch?v=AdlWT3C2cX0

Did you know that Maia Morgenstern who stars as St. Edith Stein in Siódmy pokój (The Seventh Room/The Seventh Chamber) 1995 also starred as Mary in The Passion of Christ 2004

May St. Edith Stein intercede for us all. Amen

saints.sqpn.com/saint-teresa-benedicta-of-the-cross/

Thank you so much for the links.

I wonder why this saint is called by her given name rather than her religious name, Teresa Benedicta of the Cross.

The school I was under at our carmelite spiritual center here was called the Edith Stein Institute. :shrug:

Thanks. Can you tell me what is the title of this movie? I would like to order it.

Thanks
Wina

[quote="ByzCath, post:4, topic:198350"]
I wonder why this saint is called by her given name rather than her religious name, Teresa Benedicta of the Cross.

[/quote]

My assumption, Brother, is that it is because she only became a nun at the age of 42 (and perhaps since she died in the Holocaust, people have wished to emphasize her Jewish heritage). St. Edith Stein, while not as pretty, is also somewhat easier to say than St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross. I, for one, prefer to use her religious name.

[quote="carmelitegirl93, post:1, topic:198350"]
youtube.com/watch?v=dlfOZXCAcKY I hope you all like it.

[/quote]

Thank you, carmelite girl.

The imagery is beautiful.

Could have done with another soundtrack.

[quote="ByzCath, post:4, topic:198350"]

[/quote]

My guess is the relevance of the fact that she was captured and killed as Edith Stein.
We know she was a Carmelite nun named Sister Teresa Benedicta of the Cross.
Yet her murderers killed her as one "Edith Stein." Historical fact.

I do not agree with this. Yes she was interred as a Jew and killed for that but to separate her names like this is not right in my mind.

She was ethnically a Jew, but religiously she was a Catholic and I honor her choice of religious name.

For me she is Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross.

The movie is called “Siódmy pokój” or in English “The Seventh Room” or “The Seventh Chamber”…I sent letters to all of the Catholic video stores (that I know of anyways).

Some of these companies have never heard of St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross/St. Edith Stein and some no longer have rights to carry the film.

However, this is a response from Ignatius Press ignatius.com/

*Ignatius Press is working on obtaining the rights to carry the film. Unfortunately it will not be available for some time.

Sincerely,

Alison*

I highly doubt that you’ll be able to get this movie anytime soon but than again I could be wrong.

It took awhile for the movie “Teresa de Los Andes” to come back and now it is available (again) on DVD.

ignatius.com/Products/STAN-M/st-teresa-of-the-andes.aspx

So it is for you.
No one will stop you, I’m rather certain.

Yet, it was her name at birth that brought her to death.

It was not her name, it was her ethnicity.

Can’t imagine there were many Steins in Carmel, living as Carmelite Sisters.
Her sister Rosa was there too - but both were Jewish Steins.
If Calvinist Stones? They wouldn’t have been killed.

In any event, why quibble? I’m fully accepting of the name St. Edith Stein.
I have many many Jewish relatives and her name is impressive to them.

Saint Edith Stein, pray for us!

I love her and the name.

[quote="catharina, post:8, topic:198350"]
Thank you, carmelite girl.

The imagery is beautiful.

Could have done with another soundtrack.

My guess is the relevance of the fact that she was captured and killed as Edith Stein.
We know she was a Carmelite nun named Sister Teresa Benedicta of the Cross.
Yet her murderers killed her as one "Edith Stein." Historical fact.

[/quote]

Well I was thinking the song went good with the video but I mean dose anyone feel the same way? what do you guys think of that song in the video

Thanks goforgoal.
I bought Teresa de Los Andes :thumbsup:
I watched St. Teresa Avila, St Therese lisieux.
Well, I think I admire almost all carmelite saints :slight_smile:

Bro, you are not going to find too many Steins that aren’t Jewish…:shrug:

The name given to a Jew encompasses their being. you cannot seperate the name from the Jew. In Hebrew, every name means something…so whether she died for her name (which is Jewish) or died because she was Jewish is moot…

You got it, sister!

She was killed as a Jew.
She sacrificed her life as a Catholic.
(She could have hidden; the Carmelites wished to hide her abroad.)

It is a great testimony to inter-faith concerns that the Church chose
to canonize her under the name that brought her to her death. I approve entirely.

I think its a little more complicated than that. St Edith/ Sr Teresia Benedicta a Cruce (the name she actually used in community) and her sister Rosa had been moved to the Echt Carmel in Holland in the hope that this would be safer, but the invasion of the Low Countries put them in danger again.

At the time when she and Rosa were arrested, the order was attempting to arrange for their transfer out of Europe and beyond the reach of the German authorities, and the two women were hoping that this could come to pass because they knew that within German-occupied Europe they - like other converts - were basically hostages against the good behaviour of the church authorities. There was no possibility of hiding because her whereabouts were monitored. Its said that passage out of the country was available for St Edith but she refused to leave without Rosa.

St Edith/Sr Teresia did not seek martyrdom, nor did she want to die. But when it became apparent that death was near, she thought only of other people - most especially the children who were also being transported to the camps - and died a martyr’s death both because of this lack of concern for herself, and also because her execution and that of other converts was specifically a punishment for the bishops who had not bowed to Nazi authority.

Two years ago I was very privileged to visit the Cologne Carmel (now moved from the building where St Edith lived, following its destruction during the allied bombing of the city). The last sister to have known her personally died the year before our visit, but of course eyewitness testimonies had circulated within the community for decades and the younger sisters were fully aware of her, like most of us have heard stories about older members of the family. Being there and hearing these accounts was both a beautiful experience and also unbearably sad.

Interestingly she was canonised under both names, or at least with an address that used both names. See Pope John Paul II’s homily:

ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/jp2stein.htm

I very much agree with you that this was a very powerful gesture of rapprochement with Judaism, very much needed given the often troubled history between Jews and Catholics; although the canonisation has caused controversy as well as positive dialogue. For me the image of a Carmelite nun wearing a Star of David on her habit - as witnessed by people who saw St Edith at the internment camp, and recorded in the famous painting of her arrival with Rosa at the gates of Auschwitz -

dlibrary.acu.edu.au/research/theology/ejournal/aejt_5/images/edith_stein2.jpg

• seems to be an eloquent statement about the tragedy of anti-semitism by Christians, and also a sign of the hope that one day the peoples of the covenant will understand that we are family. I think, sadly, that day is not yet here.

Thanks for your extensive comments. I can only say that since I am granted welcome within both sides of Abraham’s family, it is my firm conviction that things have indeed reached a point of healing in many instances. Certainly our Holy Fathers, one from Poland and now, one from Germany, are (and have been) extraordinary blessings and witnesses for our Church. Also, a bit of a reminder, true Christians can never be anti-Semitic. We are one under the Law and in the family of Abraham, the People of God. The Nazis were of a mind to support paganism, never Christianity.

On that note, for your edification I call to the attention of those who view this thread the Blessed Franz Jaggerstatter and his life.

vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/saints/ns_lit_doc_20071026_jagerstatter_en.html

So remarkably, although not remarkably for God, both Franz and Edith were executed by the Nazis in Europe, geographically apart, but on the very same day: Edith, a Catholic nun and scholar and Franz, a simple Austrian citizen who followed his Catholic beliefs unto death. Now - God bless you!

Wina- I realize that it's been a year for this thread but I'm sure you are well aware that the movie about St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein) is available and I'm pretty sure you can purchase it from a Catholic bookshop or where they sell Catholic films

Or you can purchase it online:

aquinasandmore.com/catholic-gifts/Edith-Stein-The-Seventh-Chamber/sku/23998

ignatius.com/Products/EDITH-M/edith-stein.aspx?src=iinsight

I have never seen the movie about St. Teresa of Avila nor have I seen the movie about St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross but I hope I will.

What movie did you watch about St. Therese of Lisieux?

There is a 1986 version called

"Therese"

imdb.com/title/tt0092090/

Then there is the 2004 version called

"Therese: The Story of Saint Therese of Lisieux"

imdb.com/title/tt0092090/

There are other films available on St. Therese

thereseoflisieux.org/dvds-and-videos/

By the way, carmelitegirl93 I still think your video on St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein) is still remarkably good...I love all of your videos.

May St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein) intercede for all of us. Amen.

God bless,
goforgoal

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.