A new $1 TRILLION medical bill: Obamacare repeal fallout

*A new report finds there would be a huge spike in the cost of care sought by people who can’t afford to pay for it if Obamacare is partially repealed by Congress.

The Urban Institute report found that the cost of so-called uncompensated care sought from hospitals and doctors would equal $1.7 trillion over a decade — $1.1 trillion more than if the Affordable Care Act was kept in place*

cnbc.com/2017/01/05/obamacare-repeal-would-spike-uncompensated-care-by-trillion-dollars.html

This appears to be an exceedingly laborious process.

It’s a shame things are not similar to when President Reagan and opposition party Tip O’Neill warily negotiated on big issues; as with tax reform. But neither party is going to work with the other.

I think you’re right. Ideology, whether heartfelt or not, rules supreme. Without really knowing, I’m guessing there are a hundred “traps” in Obamacare of one kind or another. Remove this, and that falls to pieces. Change this other thing and something horrible happens in something else.

Unfortunately, calling certain provisions ‘traps’ may be precise.

President Obama rallied the Democrats yesterday to start a campaign to undermine the Republicans efforts of replacement of the ACA - (it’s reasonable to assume many in the media will be receptive to the new labels).

It seems the Democrats will accept partial deregulation and removal of certain provisions so the Country takes a financial hit. Then starts campaigning.

The Republicans are intent to push full steam ahead and attempt to take down this monstrosity of regs and provisions they were not invited to vote on – and promised voters they would repeal. They are not looking at anything else.

And it’s not as if the Republicans are not going to be busy enough in the deregulation process.

Federal Register, the depository of rules and regulations

It may be a similar recipe to the mortgage crisis.

The Dems push for houses for families who couldn’t afford them, and the Republicans came along after and deregulated parts of the financial industry so they could make a profit and create jobs.

I suppose at some point it’s bound to turn around and the Beltway will begrudgingly learn to compromise – but I am not sure what event may trigger such?

What cannot be sustained will not be sustained. Sooner or later, ObamaCare will completely fail. No one will be able to afford to pay for coverage and there will be few, if any, insurers to offer programs/ coverage. Look at the drastic increase in premiums and the numbers of insurers who have pulled out of marketplaces and/or areas where there is only one insurer available. It is only a matter of time. I honestly don’t think it will matter what Congress – Democrats or Republicans – do or don’t do. I’m betting on “sooner” rather than “later” for the collapse. I also believe that ObamaCare was designed to fail and that it was to be the bridge into a single government health care provider or nationalized healthcare system.

Remembering what it was like before Obamacare, I am not yet persuaded that total repeal would be a bad thing overall, though there will certainly be winners and losers just like now.

And maybe, just maybe (though I doubt it) somebody will actually start to look at the cost of healthcare itself. I’m just an ordinary layman, and I can think of a number of things that would cut down on the cost. Imagine what an expert might come up with.

And the insurers and employers and most people will adjust if Obamacare suddenly went away. I’m sure every insurer has already figured what they will do, and have already priced it out.

Aside from the premiums (which no one really likes at any level) where are the losers in Obamacare?

I suppose the first casualties are found in Arizona.

The ultimate end of the ACA is the entire nation is on Medicaid. You’re not going to afford a top military in such a Nation. And there are Countries hoping we let that military edge slide.

If the health insurance system is going to change this radically both parties need to be involved.

Can’t wait for single payer. It’s insane that it’s even an issue in this day and age.

It’ll be much harder to afford the military with the hundreds of billions added to the deficit by repealing the ACA.

You’re not alone.

I am one who believes we have made our collective beds based on a strong military and fighting for an ordered society. Without the strength to threaten peace…there is none on this planet. Until Jesus returns, I’ll opt for a military to help protect us.

But hey if it takes the name Obama off, what’s a trillion dollars? :rolleyes:

I can’t either but do you think the Republican Party really cares about adding to their deficit as long as they get rid of Obamacare? And if history is any indication, when they’ve had control of both the WH and Congress, have they ever cared about universal coverage?

Oh, I’m under no illusions. I know the Republican goal is to slash Medicaid and Medicare. The opposition to the ACA has nothing to do with health policy and everything to do with the percentage point or two major Republican donors lost off the income. The ACA not only increased health coverage but was the most successful wealth redistribution program in a long time, and once it’s gone the rest of the social programs will be on the chopping block.

If I recall correctly, Reagan signed the COBRA bill, which health-covered those who terminated employment for whatever reason. It was only for 18 months but the original House bill would have extended it. That would have helped the ACA, I think.

Record numbers have enrolled this enrollment period for a reason. The employer-based private plan my niece is on had it’s deductible increase to $3000 this yr. She just looked into Obamacare today and with a subsidy, her premium would be $100 or a bit less and a much lower deductible.

If we had a President like Reagan in office the last 8 years the doors to the opposition party would not have been locked.

I can only hope the Republicans avoid the ever so human instinct of an eye for an eye and work with the minority party to find a solution. (A complete repeal cannot be accomplished without 60 votes.)

The GOP is gutting everything that actually helped people using budget reconciliation, which only requires 51. It doesn’t cut everything immediately but it’s the first step.

The Republicans are deregulating as much as possible via reconciliation to prove to those who elected them they are not liars. It does not repeal the ACA. It cripples it.

If they simply want to amend ACA with tort reform, HSA, and insurance across state lines, I wouldn’t have a problem with that.

If the two parties somehow are brought together to discuss the possible solutions – they may not be that far apart.

I tend to look at tort reform as a valuable mechanism to lower medical costs. Especially with the passage of the 21st Century Cures Act (rare bipartisan agreement) and possible legal pitfalls there. But still that’s just one element.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.