A New and Improved God

“The new God realizes that these sexual “sins” are not always desirable; but they are usually harmless, and much of the time they are positively good. The new God keeps in mind that we are humans, made of flesh and blood. We are not bodiless angels. The old God said, “Hate the sin, love the sinner.” The new God says, “Love the sinner, and please don’t make a fuss about the sin.””

A New and Improved God

:rotfl:

Where can I get a God like that? This Catholic one is so, like, he’s so–like he’s always trying to make more rules that totally, like, make everything **so **not fun. Like, who’s he to be all like, “you suck because you’re a bad person?” I wish he could be more like one of those cool Gods that, like, don’t make you do boring stuff and be a totally boring person with **no **social life whatsoever.

I remember when Janis Joplin sang that song, Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a color tv…

My 87 year old grandmother said, don’t sing that. I said, Granny, she’s just trying to say how silly people are asking God for a color tv or a car. She’s telling them not to be so silly… Well, she said, then ok…

Nowadays, I’m not so sure…of anything but God loves me. Why, I don’t know, but I’m glad he does.

In some ways, the “new and improved G-d” resembles the G-d of Judaism. Judaism does not focus as much on sin as it does on good behavior. Indeed, sin is defined as “erring from the mark” rather than a break with G-d. Further, sin can always be atoned for (this is similar to Christian belief) no matter how many times it is committed. Moreover, the human being is regarded as only human and thus never able to achieve perfection. Finally, Judaism does not concur with the Christian saying: “Hate the sin, love the sinner.” This is because Judaism believes that the behavior of an individual shapes him. In other words, since we are a composite of our behaviors, there is no real difference between the sin committed and the sinner. So instead of “hating the sin,” it is important for us to seek to improve our behavior. One further point: eternal damnation is not a Jewish concept.

Is the deity of Reform Judaism different from the deity of Orthodox Judaism or the deity of the Torah?

Not in the broad sense, which is what I described, only in the details. Of course, there is the saying that “G-d is in the details.”

Bear in mind that every time there is a “new” religion, including Christianity…a “new and improved God” comes with it. And the followers of the old Gods who stay where they are never think the new one is valid or makes sense.

The fulfilling of a prophecy?

“For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.” (2nd Timothy 4:3)

The author of the article is not speaking though, of a new religion; he’s talking about Christianity, which for centuries had a consistent view of God. He’s comparing that with some new versions of Christianity, in which God is just, well, less worried about sin. So dismissive of sin that the idea of sending His own Son to take on a human nature and die for the sake of redemption seems (to the ‘new Christian’) somewhat over the top. If sin is not so bad, why did Jesus have to die?

:popcorn:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.