A New Genesis Community?

Visiting a Catholic parish in the Green Bay diocese, we were rather startled by a sister dressed as a deacon (except no stole) & acting as a deacon, giving the homily & accepting the gifts while the priest sat.

The only thing I know about her is she belongs to A New Genesis (ANG). They don’t seem to have a website - at least I couldn’t find one - & the only info I found was in a diocesan newspaper article: “A New Genesis is an association of the faithful established in 1983 with the approval of Bishop Aloysius Wycislo.”

Does anyone know anything more than this about the community? Do the sisters have a dispensation to act as deacons or is that parish in error? I’m guessing the latter. Of the three masses we attended while visiting, only one was completely orthodox.

I don't know anything about this community but you raised my curiosity. It's interesting that of all the communities of religious sisters on the Green Bay diocese website, they are the only one without a website. So, I Googled the name of the sister listed as their contact person.

She is listed as the **pastor **of a parish in Wisonsin (on the parish website). The parish has a priest but he is listed as the "Sacramental Minister". :eek: It seems the diocese has a number of parishes without pastors, although most have priests assigned to them. Sister is actually listed in the diocisan directory as "parish director". I would guess this is the person you saw.

Quite irregular, to put it mildly.

I believe I would make a New Exodus from this parish!

One of many reasons to stick to the Traditional Mass...

[quote="VivaCristoRey27, post:4, topic:249758"]
One of many reasons to stick to the Traditional Mass...

[/quote]

Invalid argument and totally unnecessary for this discussion.

There is nothing inherent to the Extraordinary Form of the Mass that protects it from abuse.

I agree - the Mass that was orthodox was a regular weekday Mass at St. Joseph’s in Black River Falls. If anyone here lives there, you have an awesome church & priest! Could do something about the echoes, though! :slight_smile:

[quote="Bonnie, post:1, topic:249758"]
Visiting a Catholic parish in the Green Bay diocese, we were rather startled by a sister dressed as a deacon (except no stole) & acting as a deacon, giving the homily & accepting the gifts while the priest sat.

The only thing I know about her is she belongs to A New Genesis (ANG). They don't seem to have a website - at least I couldn't find one - & the only info I found was in a diocesan newspaper article: "A New Genesis is an association of the faithful established in 1983 with the approval of Bishop Aloysius Wycislo."

Does anyone know anything more than this about the community? Do the sisters have a dispensation to act as deacons or is that parish in error? I'm guessing the latter. Of the three masses we attended while visiting, only one was completely orthodox.

[/quote]

I am puzzled. I never seen anything like that ever. Could Byzcath answer as well as to if this is ok?? I am really puzzled. Thanks so much Scoob.

[quote="scoobydoo6v92, post:7, topic:249758"]
I am puzzled. I never seen anything like that ever. Could Byzcath answer as well as to if this is ok?? I am really puzzled. Thanks so much Scoob.

[/quote]

I will respond one a couple of issues.

The woman reading the Gospel and giving the Homily where obvious abuses.

I am not sure what "acting like a deacon" actually means unless it is actually taking the deacon parts of the Mass which would then also be an abuse.

As for what she wore, I am guessing that is was an alb which any lay person may ware and that would not be an abuse.

What we should not do is tarnish this community which seems to be in good standing under its bishop. These actions are actions of individuals and unless you can show actual proof that this is something the community is pushing we need to hold back any back comments about them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.