A new Lepanto

Many of you probably know about the battle of Lepanto. The Catholic forces of the Holy League confronted a Turkish naval fleet on October 7, 1571. The Catholic fleet was led by John of Austria. The Turkish fleet was rowed by thousands of Christian slaves (something to think about folks). Fortunately the Catholics won and sank or destroyed almost all the Turkish fleet. It was a crucial battle. If we had lost we would all be paying homage to the Caliph right now and speaking arabic. This battle was a major blow to the Turks, although in 1683 they made a final attempt to conquer Europe and were stopped at the gates of Vienna.

A major part of this victory was Pope St. Pius V calling all Catholics to pray the rosary for victory. Afterwards he proclaimed Oct. 7th as feast of Our Lady of Victory which was later changed to Our Lady of the Rosary. He believed that the rosary was the real reason for the victory.

It is increasingly apparent that our faith still needs to be defended. Europe is again in danger. Militant Islam persecutes Christians around the globe and even attacks our homeland. Now they call for the assassination of the Pope and the conquest of Rome.

I propose that in the 9 days leading up to the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary that we pray a rosary novena. We can ask Our Lady to help those Christians being persecuted, to protect our Pope, and bring conversion to the Muslims. It’s one small thing we can do that may make a big difference. So, I invite you to join me. Our Lady of Victory pray for us! Our Lady of the Rosary pray for us!

Cest,

Picking up weapons, not rosaries, is the answer.

Note: That would begin on The Feast of St. Michael and All Angels. :thumbsup:

Don’t underestimate the rosary, it’s one of the greatest weapons that we have! I believe the Christians were greatly outnumbered by the Turks at the Battle of Lepanto, just like in the siege of Malta, but the Grand Master of the Knights Hospitallers was a man of great faith and the Turks were repulsed!

Will do! :thumbsup:

Of course we can pray it also for our soldiers who are fighting the Islamofascists. I am sure our guys would appreciate prayers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.