A New Saint - "Lily of the Mohawks"

The Canonization of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha (the first Native American Saint) is to take place in Rome on Oct. 21,2012. For more info go to www,cccb.ca and look for the link on the right side of the home page.

We don’t call aboriginal people “Native Americans” up here: we call them First Nations:p

The Americans will be thinking that St. Kateri Tekakwitha is American when we all know she’s Canadian!:thumbsup:

A video about her:
youtube.com/watch?v=JryFRIxKWq0&feature=youtu.be

Technically she is - she was born in what is now upstate New York.

Technically, everyone born in the US (and the rest of the new world) is a native american.

Canadians aren’t Americans? What continent do they belong to? Canadia? :wink:

First Nations is a PC term that has been in common usage in Canada for a few decades now. This is not the POINT. We have a Saint of Mowhak and Algonquin desent - the FIRST from this cultural heritage!

It is a wonderful thing! All Americans (North, Central and South) should be pleased…especially those of Native American or American Indian (I’m guessing that term is PC, since the Canadian priest on Triumphguy’s video used it) descent. :thumbsup:

Well the USA didn’t exist then: it was all French:p

I’m just kinda amused by the “competition” between the US and Canada when it comes to claiming her.

It’s a great thing that that Blessed Kateri is being canonized.

Blessed Kateri “belongs” to the First Nations Peoples, and US and Canadian Law recognizes that they may travel and live and work freely across North American borders without a passport since they were in the land before it was a divided geographically.

BTW native is seen as derogatory, and Indian as geographically and historically inaccurate. The original name of many Bands actually means the people, or first people.

It was not all French, certianly not upstate New York. And if we are to get technical Canada is a former British colony not French (certianly after the battle at the plains of Abraham). Competition? Even the CCCB recognizes her as a “North American” not soley “Canadian” Saint and many shrines to her (the majority actually) are in the US. This should not be an issue we are all Catholic and should be overjoyed at the Canonization of this wonderful young woman.

Well, Blessed Kateri was born in 1656 Ossernenon, Iroquois Confederacy (New France until 1763, now modern Auriesville, New York) (Wiki)

And I didn’t say the CCCB was competing :wink:

Maybe it’s repeated use of the term Native American that gets to me. Having worked with First Nations people in schools and prison, as well as on reserve it just grates on me.

And like I said. it’s great that she’s being canonized. Great for First Nations people and for all North Americans.

She is also a strong role model for youth.

Well aboriginal peoples of North America is too bulky, First Nations has come into use (in Canada) to replace the generic native american or native and before that the term indian. I wasn’t trying to be negative after all I live in a territory that is more than 50% First Nations, 3/4 of my parish is Liard First Nations as is Watson Lake itself.

As for New France, lets be realistic. What France claimed as it’s territory and what actually was under thier influence are two different things.

You’re right-Kateri was born in Ossernenon, a Mohawk village which is now Auriesville. She lived the first twenty years of her life in what is now New York State, then had to flee to Canada because of persecution by her own people.

She was only in Canada [New France, as it was called back then] for four years, until her death in 1680. Her tomb is at the Mission of St. Francis Xavier, Caughnawaugha (now called ‘Kanawake’), Quebec, opposite the city of Montreal. *

So we in the USA can claim her as our own! She lived the majority of her life here!*

HA! I thought she was Native American/Indian! Thanks for setting me straight!:slight_smile:

Oh, just read the rest of the post. I suppose she would be Native American then!:slight_smile:

Well, in any case she is both of ours.

No, no Ringil…“First American,” not native. You’ve got to use the correct, PC term, or you will upset the Canadians.

If that is what they would like to be called I will use that term.

I like to call people what they desire as my choice of terms is not so precious to me.

“First american” then. I thought that the term “Indian” has been adopted again by many, the way the term “black” was.

You’re not upsetting me!

First day of teaching and 3/4 of my TA class are First Nations’ kids.

I just like to use the nouns that respect their heritage rather than our mistakes.

We were the people who thought this place was India, and America is named after a guy who “found” the place 10,000 years after it was already inhabited.

So the the indigenous peoples are not Indian and they are pre-American.

That’s not PC, that’s just accurate.:wink:

I am sure we will come up with another name as times change, and another and another … How is Calgary these days, lived there for 5 years in Mayland Heights (worked at Parmalat/Beatrice)

The problem is with the idea that “they” (in any racial/ethnic/heritage group) all agree on a term. That, in itself, can be a little insulting. For example, I remember Whoopee Goldburg taking exception to the term “African American” because she is so far removed from Africa. At the time, she said she is an American and black. :shrug:

I try/tried to teach my own kids to treat their ethnicity that way with mixed results.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.