A New York Times/CBS News Poll on Terrorism and the 2016 Race

Americans are more fearful about another terrorist attack than at any time since the weeks after Sept. 11, 2001, and the gnawing sense of dread is lifting Donald J. Trump to a new high among Republican voters who are most focused on nominating a strong leader, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

nytimes.com/interactive/2015/12/10/us/politics/times-cbs-news-poll.html

This is a very reveling poll especially if you look at the trends

For the first time in 20 years of polling the question, the CBS/New York Times poll finds a majority opposed to an “assault weapons” ban 44/50, even as gun control in other contexts polls more consistently with previous findings

I don’t live in fear of a terrorist attack, however, I hate, loathe, and detest guns and violence. I don’t want Trump for president, but I am attracted to some of his ideas, not because of fear or anger, but because I’m sick of nothing really being accomplished. I’m not angry about it, I’m just tired of all this talk and nothing substantial ever gets done, or if it does, it harms more than it helps.

Then again, I’m one person, not the majority.

It doesn’t make any sense to me that people would be more fearful now than after Sept 11th.

Cider,

Why are you no as fearful? I lived very close to the WTC when it was attacked in 1994 and 2011. Terrorists are going after smaller targets with fewer people. No place is really safe.

My husband recommended we all go to Confession this weekend…and this is a man who is not irrational (advanced math major). Just sayin.

Before 9/11 people did not understand that level of terrorism. Terrorism happened in other countries, we felt very protected. We now know can be touched. Look what is going on throughout the world. The world seems unhinged. The weeks after 9/11 seem tame compared to the tension in the air now.

Didn’t FDR say “the only thing to fear is fear itself”…I’m da*ned if I’m gonna live my life in fear of terrorists

He did say that, and while I’ll be prudent, I’m not going to live my life in fear of them, either. The Good Lord will see that no one robs me of one second of the life I am supposed to live.

:thumbsup:

I agree.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.