A note in NAB...

Hi;

My muslim friend claimed that:

In “The New American Bible with Revised New Testament The New Catholic translation” ,there is a note that says “Bible is not accurate,Bible is not historical” or something with the seal of Pope

Is that right? If not What does it really say?

Thank you…

The pope would never give his seal to any such nonsense. I would like to know what the note to which your muslim friend is referring actually said.

I have noticed that the notes in the New American Bible often seem to follow secular biblical scholarship rather than traditional Catholic teaching. However, that doesn’t mean that such notes are in any way endorsed by the church.

[quote=Ozanf]In “The New American Bible with Revised New Testament The New Catholic translation” ,there is a note that says “Bible is not accurate,Bible is not historical” or something with the seal of Pope
[/quote]

The best thing to do is to ask your Muslim friend to prove it. Tell him to give you the exact citation from the NAB so you can look it up. He has the burden of proof.

Sounds like the preface of a study Bible the ones by Oxford are pretty liberal leaning I don’t think the Seal of the Pope condones a preface by a Bible Scholar but rather his original stamp of approval of the 1970 NAB translation which had non-inclusive language and located in seperate seection than the preface which can include some liberal commentary. IN short the approval is for the 1970 NAB translation and not for the liberal prefaces of a Bible scholar.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.