A paper supporting Marriage

Note to Administrators: If this doesn’t belong in this section of CAF, please place it where it does. :slight_smile:

Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 245-287, Winter 2010

** Abstract: **
In the article, we argue that as a moral reality, marriage is the union of a man and a woman who make a permanent and exclusive commitment to each other of the type that is naturally fulfilled by bearing and rearing children together, and renewed by acts that constitute the behavioral part of the process of reproduction. We further argue that there are decisive principled as well as prudential reasons for the state to enshrine this understanding of marriage in its positive law, and to resist the call to recognize as marriages the sexual unions of same-sex partners.

Besides making this positive argument for our position and raising several objections to the view that same-sex unions should be recognized, we address what we consider the strongest philosophical objections to our view of the nature of marriage, as well as more pragmatic concerns about the point or consequences of implementing it as a policy.
Keywords: marriage, gay marriage, same-sex marriage, traditional marriage, Proposition 8
Accepted Paper Series

One-Click Download

What say you?

Simply going off the citations, my first thought is that it takes 3 major university professors to be as smart as one Pope…:wink:

Nonetheless, these men are brave for championing a controversial, difficult and unpopular position (in their intellectual and academic community, at least).

Faith and Revelation are not opposed to reason ; however, reason and intellect do need to be submitted to Faith, and Revelation, in order to bear fruit, and importantly to determine priority or application, etc (otherwise a man might imagine a better dishwasher is arguably more important to mankind than the traditional institution of marriage, for example - so a society might know more about dishwashers and be ignorant of the nature of marriage). Of course, this is my humble opinion, but I believe this is why we see such a disconnect between scholarly, intellectual and academic efforts and Faith.

Pax,
Tim

Was this written by Catholics?

The over-arching body of the work certainly appears to be, and the collaborating Professors (three of them) represent departments from Princeton (two of them) and Note Dame.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the beginning part of the work is the most obscure and therefore might engender disinterest off-the-bat. The greater part, however, is clear, logical, sufficiently broad and concise, and will make a most excellent reference work for defending the nature of marriage, which is traditionally enshrined in western custom and law.

This work reminds me of another, the Garbage Generation, but it less combative and more - in my opinion - properly centered around the very real nature of marriage. The Garbage Generation’s Appendix is, however, extremely complimentary to this work as it is an encyclopedic list of citations demonstrating the devastating consequences that broken homes have on children, and, by consequence, society in general.

Pax,
Tim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.