A planeload of bibles

One day a missionary group was flying on a missionary trip to a country which had never before heard about Christianity.

The small plane was loaded with bibles. Since the plane’s passengers were quite varied in their reading habits, the plane also carried a handful of books by various Christian authors, including Pope John Paul II, Jerry Falwell, Francis De Sales, Tim La Haye, as well as other christian books on a variety of subjects.

Unfortunately, the plane began having engine trouble and crashed near a group of villages. All except one person aboard the plane was killed and went on to their reward. However, the entire cargo survived the crash intact, and as the last injured missionary dragged the boxes of books from the burning fuselage the villagers reached the crash site. Despite his numerous injuries, the missionary pried open the box, pulled out a bible and cried “The Word of God!”. He then collapsed and died in the arms of the tribal chief.

Although there was no one there to teach them, the villagers were ecstatic to have the books which the obviously Godly people had strived so mightily to give to them, and they set about to learn that Word of God.

However, neighboring wars and daunting geographical features would keep outsiders away for the next 100 years, and no would-be missionaries visited the country. The locals wouldn’t let that stop them, though, as they devoured all the books left by their “flying angels from God”. They went about reading their books and learning all they could about this wonderful and true religion. They eagerly began printing more bibles and spreading the Word of God around their country.

A hundred years later, some missionaries finally made it back into the country and were overjoyed to be welcomed as “Brothers and Sisters in Christ” by the now thoroughly converted country. Though happy about the locals’ sincere faith, the new missionaries found what they considered to be peculiar religious practices and beliefs.

One such practice was their belief in “Saved by soccer”. Each person, upon reaching the age of ten, would report to the soccer field. The child (or adult convert) would walk up to any person in the crowd and say “I’m on God’s team” then walk onto the field and kick the ball in the goal past a scarecrow dressed up as the devil. If he or she scored a goal, then that meant they had been “saved.” When questioned by the missionaries, the local pastor told them about the need for belief in Jesus and quoted Psalm 33:*“Play skillfully with a shout of joy!” * and openly wondered if these missionaries were “true christians” or not. “Don’t you read the bible?”, the local pastor asked incredulously. When the missionaries described their beliefs about salvation and told the pastor that they’d never said “I’m on God’s team”, let alone “kicked a goal for God” he was genuinely concerned for their souls and urged them to join him at the soccer field.

The astonished missionaries were even more shocked when the pastor showed them their bible—it was huge!–three times the size of a “regular” bible. Searching through the book they found that some things were missing—several chapters of Genesis and other OT books, three of Paul’s letters were gone, and the Gospel of Luke was nowhere to be seen. Even more surprising were the extras—“The First Letter of Tim LaHaye to the Dirty Romans", “The Lamentations of Francis De Sales”, and the "Acts of Jerry Falwell” among others.

“This isn’t a true bible!” shouted one of the missionaries, throwing the thick book to the ground. “Says who?” said the local pastor, “The Holy Spirit guided us as to what was truly Scripture. We only took out what you never should have added in the first place.”
“What about the Gospel of Luke?!?” cried one of the missionaries.
“A gospel of straw” clucked the pastor, adding a dismissive wave of his hand.

There turned out to be many areas of contention and the missionaries and the locals would spend the next several years going around and around about these issues, but that night the pastor asked the missionaries two questions I will ask you now:

**1-Is the local bible as valid as the one the missionaries brought in? If not—why not?

2-Is the practice of “saved by soccer” valid? If not–why not?**

The overreaching answer to both is no, because truth is absolute.
More specifically…
1- The other books that were in the crate are mostly beneficial to read, but they are not Scripture.
2- Just because someone thinks they’re saved, doesn’t make it so.

This utterly fictional tale only makes a mockery of the power of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God, IMO.

Have you considered the many far out beliefs of actual Catholics all over the world before seeking to attack others with a fictional account?

(Edited By Moderator)

Soccer??

Come on. Please.

Give God more credit than that:
Isa 55:11 “So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.”

So if you were the missionary, you would have said to the pastor:

“Your bible is false because truth is absolute”?

He answers “Sorry, but the Holy Spirit guided those authors and guided us to consider it scripture. We’ve considered these books scripture for a hundred years.”

and he asks:

“Why did you add to the bible? We had to take out what you thought was scripture.”

You also told him “Just because someone thinks they’re saved, doesn’t make it so.”

His answer would be “Sorry, don’t you read the bible? What process do you use? See John 3:16*–“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.”* , Psalm 33–*“Play skillfully with a shout of joy!”, *and 1 Corinthians 9:25 which tells us *“Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things.” * What process do you use?”

Sorry, but I didn’t mention Catholics or non-Catholics. I didn’t mention what sort of missionaries were there. The people in the country are very sincere and loving.
I am very much interested in Catholic responses as well as non-Catholic responses.

Soccer??

Come on. Please.

Give God more credit than that:Isa 55:11 “So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.”

The pastor would say:
“You’re mistaken, brother. We give God all the credit in the world. We think we love God even more than you do. What’s wrong with soccer? Our children love soccer. We use their love of the sport to make a deeper connection to faith. Is there anything in the bible which says we can’t use our methods?
What’s wrong with our words? Do you use words? How did you choose your words? Are they in the bible? If there are specific words in the bible we should use, please do point them out to us.”

“And what of our bible? Why should we use the bible as you have it? We believe you added to Holy Scripture to suit your own purposes. If we have erred, please tell us how.”

LOL.

So we are all supposed to play dumb?

OK. If that is what you are looking for.

The pastor would say:
“You’re mistaken, brother. We give God all the credit in the world. We think we love God even more than you do. What’s wrong with soccer? Our children love soccer. We use their love of the sport to make a deeper connection to faith. Is there anything in the bible which says we can’t use our methods?
What’s wrong with our words? Do you use words? How did you choose your words? Are they in the bible? If there are specific words in the bible we should use, please do point them out to us.”

“And what of our bible? Why should we use the bible as you have it? We believe you added to Holy Scripture to suit your own purposes. If we have erred, please tell us how.”

But you really believe this to be witty?

Seriously.

Soccer goals to be saved?

Is this the best idea you came up with? (Edited By Moderator)

Atemi,

I would suggest you stay out of the thread. No insults. No Holier-Than-Thou games. No acting insulted to avoid the subjects.

If you can’t answer direct questions directly, keep your false outrage to yourself.

My pleasure.

I just have one question. Why is LaHaye and Falwell’s books along with that of Pope John Paul II and Francis de Sales? :confused:
If those locals did put them in the Bible, it would be a schizophrenic Bible indeed.

That happens to be one of the questions the missionaries asked the pastors.

Their answer was:

“We find edifying material in various writers the ages have passed down to us. The authors aren’t all of the same attitude and mindset and we don’t consider them perfect men, and we certainly don’t think all of their books are scripture-worthy. We just know the Holy Spirit was working through them in these cases. We’ve had them in our churches since the faith came to this country. I’m told it was all very clear which books belonged and which books didn’t. We decided very early on, for instance, that Numbers obviously didn’t belong, Jude was too short, and bits of John 2 and 3 were uninspired so we had to do some work on them. Why? What process did you use?”

I guess that argument wouldn’t work if they had Jimmy Akin, Karl Keating, Jack T. Chick, and Alexander Hislop in there instead. Or would it?

Some people (no names!) have been known to say the same thing of Paul and James :slight_smile:

Jeremy

Sounds to me a lot like that movie from the eighties where a coke bottle falls from the sky, and the tribe then worships it as a god…

Sorry…

Couldn’t resist

Yes… i just dated myself

If adding to the Word of God and interpreting something different is a mockery to the Holy Spirit, then what about taking out from the Word of God and interpreting scripture different during the protestant reformation? Is that not mockery of the Holy Spirit?

Surely the kicking of the goal is purely symbolic.

Given the fact that most non-Catholics claim that baptism and communion are only symbols, I’m surprised you don’t appreciate this.

1-Is the local bible as valid as the one the missionaries brought in? If not—why not?

2-Is the practice of “saved by soccer” valid? If not–why not?

1. No…How is it that these people you describe would be so intelligent as to be able to read, understand and copy manuscripts…but are unable to see that one Book* is *the written word of God…while the others are books about the written word of God

2. No…Saved by soccer is nowhere in the written word…and BTW…which of the authors of the books your idigenous tribe welded into the Bible prescribe to such a theory?

**1-Is the local bible as valid as the one the missionaries brought in? If not—why not?

2-Is the practice of “saved by soccer” valid? If not–why not? **

The pastor might answer:
“How can one tell the difference between ‘inspired’ and ‘uninspired’ books? If there is a way to tell by reading our bibles, please do let us know. How is it that YOU are able to tell us what belongs in the bible? Aren’t you christians just like we are? Aren’t you human just like we are?”

The pastor:
“Our practices are not laid out word for word in the bible, but we rely on the Word of God and the Holy Spirit. Surely these two things are sufficient for christians.”

The pastor:
“You are quite correct. We wonder what it is exactly that people feel is wrong about our practice.”

“We break it down like this:
1)The individual says the specific words “I’m on God’s team” to show his assent to the faith.
2)The individual makes a symbolic action to show he will live a life for God.”

“Are our words wrong? If so, tell us why. If other christians use different words–tell us why. If what you do is in the bible–tell us where. After all, we only have the bible to go on. Surely the bible is sufficient for our life as christians.”

Originally Posted by Atemi
This utterly fictional tale only makes a mockery of the power of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God, IMO.

The pastor:
“We feel we love the Word of God at least as much as anyone else–probably more—which is why we feel the Holy Spirit has continued to guide us so ably. Who are you to tell us our bible is wrong? We have used the bible as is for one hundred years! We are the true stewards of the bible—we had to take out what you people added to it for your own purposes. Sure, we had to cut it a bit here and there, but only because it was obvious that certain things weren’t truly His will…things which pointed to practices and ideas that just weren’t really christian.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.