A prayer for patience; please tell me your prayer for patience

There are plenty of souls out there with great faith and love for the Lord. I would like to ask if there is any of you who would share with me a prayer for patience. I would especially love to hear a prayer from you requesting patience which I could remember and practice when I am about my daily life.

Lord please get these people out of my face before I do something drastic.

Oddly enough, when I need patience I go back to the rosary, and pay attention to my breathing, and figure by the time I'm done with this, whatever the problem is will have resolved itself, or I will be calmer and not obsess about it, or I will get another answer to the situation.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:2, topic:180189"]
Lord please get these people out of my face before I do something drastic.

[/quote]

Ah, yes, we can often think these things.

Oddly enough, when I need patience I go back to the rosary,

But what if you are out of your home and do not your rosary with you? Perhaps you wear a rosary?

and pay attention to my breathing,

You try to calm your physical being, that is a good start. A good sign that you are concious of your negative emotion and that it needs seeing to at that time.

and figure by the time I'm done with this,

The rosary usually take me a good 25 minutes.

whatever the problem is will have resolved itself,

Hmm, but this may not work always.

or I will be calmer and not obsess about it,

Okay then, you are using a good method. One you have practiced very often, no doubt?

or I will get another answer to the situation.

Now this is what it is all about. Allowing God himself to answer you problems rather than you taking control of the situation yourself.

Hiyas:)

There are two things I try not to pray for.

1 Patience…He will give you plenty of time to practice it.

2 To humble me…He has a machine that WILL humble you

I find it’s best for me…just to practice them myself as best I can:)

[quote="kimmielittle, post:4, topic:180189"]
Hiyas:)

1 Patience.....He will give you plenty of time to practice it.

2 To humble me....He has a machine that WILL humble you

I find it's best for me...just to practice them myself as best I can:)

[/quote]

Blessings! How very adorable. Yes, I should have more faith.

This one really works for me. It changes my disposition immediately and gives me patience.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

I think this prayer is powerful because by saying it, we acknowledge our problem is because of our sins. That immediately humbles us. Then of course you have the intercession of Mary, who defeats the devil in a cinch.

1 Patience.....He will give you plenty of time to practice it.

2 To humble me....He has a machine that WILL humble you

I'm not sure that I really understand....these are the two things I spend the most time praying for, because they are the things that I lack.

When I have some time, the Rosary, even one decade, is a great way to practice and pray for patience. You don't need to do the whole thing at once; do what you can. I don't wear one, but I carry an "auto rosary" in my pocket. 10 beads and a crucifix, and I have the prayers and mysteries on my Iphone.

When I am in a situation where I need patience (someone cuts me off in traffic, a clerk is being less than helpful, etc.) I say a Hail Mary. It diverts my mind from wanting my perceived needs met RIGHT NOW, to thinking about being calm, cool, collected, and, above all, Christ-centered.

YMMV:D

There is good sense in this, it is after all my sin that is effecting my patience.

I have a CD that goes through the whole rosary, then it goes around again for every different set of mysteries. The sorrowful, the joyful, the glorious and the luminous.

Hi Rv Cain Spencer,

Being a mother I have found that what works for me in the heat of the moment is to shut my eyes tightly, take a deeeeeep breath and remember how much patience God has for me and repeat in my mind “please Jesus help me, please Jesus help me, please Jesus help me…” I know it is not much of a prayer but it works like a charm…mmm… most of the time.:blush:

:thumbsup:

What I find that humbles me most is running into some one who is smarter and wiser than I think I am who has no problem with that machine.:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote="simple_soul, post:10, topic:180189"]
Hi Rv Cain Spencer,

Being a mother I have found that what works for me in the heat of the moment is to shut my eyes tightly, take a deeeeeep breath and remember how much patience God has for me and repeat in my mind "please Jesus help me, please Jesus help me, please Jesus help me.............." I know it is not much of a prayer but it works like a charm...mmm... most of the time.:blush:

[/quote]

I have no children, as you may have guessed. But patience is such a difficult thing to achieve. I have to keep my lion in his cage, as I have black outs when I am angered, and I often frighten myself!

[quote="simple_soul, post:11, topic:180189"]
:thumbsup:

What I find that humbles me most is running into some one who is smarter and wiser than I think I am who has no problem with that machine.:p

[/quote]

...machine?

[quote="Rv_Cain_Spencer, post:12, topic:180189"]
I have no children, as you may have guessed. But patience is such a difficult thing to achieve. I have to keep my lion in his cage, as I have black outs when I am angered, and I often frighten myself!

[/quote]

Oooohhh, that would frighten me so much. I will keep you in my prayers.

[quote="Rv_Cain_Spencer, post:13, topic:180189"]
...machine?

[/quote]

Maybe I took what kimmielittle said out of context?

Im not sure I actually “pray” when I need patience, but I do stop and take a minuet to remember that the ancient Israel waited centuries for the Promised Messiah…

AND…He didnt start His own ministry until He was about 30.

Most of His life was spent in preparation for a few years of ministry.

Meditating or thinking back on all of that makes me stop in my impatient tracks…

Prayers are rarely answered instintaneously, but rather take a process for their fulfillment.

[quote="simple_soul, post:14, topic:180189"]
Oooohhh, that would frighten me so much. I will keep you in my prayers.

[/quote]

Please do pray for me, it is horrible. :blush:

[quote="simple_soul, post:15, topic:180189"]
Maybe I took what kimmielittle said out of context?

[/quote]

I don't understand!

[quote="Marie5890, post:16, topic:180189"]
Im not sure I actually "pray" when I need patience, but I do stop and take a minuet to remember that the ancient Israel waited centuries for the Promised Messiah...

AND....He didnt start His own ministry until He was about 30.

Most of His life was spent in preparation for a few years of ministry.

Meditating or thinking back on all of that makes me stop in my impatient tracks...

Prayers are rarely answered instintaneously, but rather take a process for their fulfillment.

[/quote]

Yes, they waited 40 years in the dessert. I should be more thankful.

[quote="Rv_Cain_Spencer, post:17, topic:180189"]

Yes, they waited 40 years in the dessert. I should be more thankful.

[/quote]

Agreed...God never bows to our demands anyway. Our impatience only hurts us and others, never God. He can never be rushed. :o

I don't pray for patience mainly because it usually results in more situtations which require patience as God is giving me more opportunities to practice.

When I start getting fed up with people or have some difficulty in dealing with them, I ask God to bless them. When someone cuts close in front of me in traffic, when the other shoppers block the aisles with their carts as they carry on a conversation, when small children throw tantrums and scream, when the cashier/packer puts the bag of baby salad leaves underneath the onions and potatoes etc etc, I ask God to shower His blessings upon them. I find that turning my attention away from myself and my annoyance and towards others helps my patience levels. I can hardly be angry with people and ask God to bless them at the same time.

[quote="Marie5890, post:18, topic:180189"]
Agreed...God never bows to our demands anyway. Our impatience only hurts us and others, never God. He can never be rushed. :o

[/quote]

Indeed he is never rushed! Thousands of years in purgatory could await us!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.