A priest pretending to be Catholic, leading others astray

Peace of Christ,

I went to a “wedding” that took place in a restaurant, by a homosexual “priest” who’s “order” is called ‘The Catholic Church’.
They perform “marriages” for same sex and those hurt by the Church.
This “priest” led everyone to believe he was trully Catholic, as the bride and grooms parents would have not approved knowing he was false.

I did not participate in one second of that ceremony, as I prayed my Rosary the entire time and looked out the window because if I looked I would have cried.
Also, this “priest” performed the whole “mass”, “consecrated” or whatever he did,- which we know is not valid, the bread and wine and told everyone “This is a Catholic wedding, but all are welcome to receive, we do things differently.”

I felt sick, everyone there recieved, my face wanted to explode in tears, and I remained silent, for the rest of the night, in horror for what I had seen, for what went on, and for being there.
I was told to evangelize there, but I couldnt get a word out, nor go near that “priest”, I couldnt even go near him.

The couple, as well, the groom, was preciously married and not annulled.
Do I need confession? I believe so, and I do want it, but also, is this a mortal sin?
Also, I cannot shake the fact that this “order” of “priests” is misleading people into believeing they are Catholic, when the are not at all.
[edited]

Please advise, should I be taking some action, as a Catholic, as a human being?
Thank you,

JMJ

Why would you choose to attend such a mockery?

Next time you are invited to an invalid wedding, don’t go.

Why would you choose to attend such a mockery?

Next time you are invited to an invalid wedding, don’t go.

Ah, I know! But I didnt know this was the case when I replied yes. And my parents are not supportive of my views and got very angry with me when I stated how I felt.
I was also told that since I accepted the invitation, I could only go to evangelize, but to pray a Rosary during the actual ceremony - which by the way I didnt know would be a FULL “MASS”
I wanted to evangelize, but after it happened, I was so horrified, I shut down and couldnt even look at anyone.

And yes, I am never going to go to anything remotely like this again, I didnt want to go.
My whole point is that I feel sick about the whole thing and this group of false catholics and those lied to.

First of all, the fact that it was in a restaurant should have tipped you off that something was amiss. Weddings should be celebrated inside a Catholic Church. Now, the bishop, for serious reasons, can opt to permit the wedding to be celebrated elsewhere, but, the norm is for such to be conducted inside a Church.

Second, you should have just walked out and not have been a party to this whole thing. Sadly, two things, as I read your post, lead me to believe that they were invalid, the Holy Sacrifice and the Sacrament of Matrimony. You need to inform your bishop about what happened.

Parents who have previously married children who they know do not have an annulment who get married in a restaurant already **KNOW **this is not a Catholic wedding. Else they are either the most ignorant Catholics around or pretending to not know.

Aside from the rent-a-priests (whether real Catholic priest who are probably laicized or had their faculties removed or fake altogether) you **knew **before going that the “wedding” was to be in a restaurant. You knew that one of the couple was divorced without an annulment. So, it seems you knew going in that this was going to be an invalid attempt at marriage. So, to the degree you knew this, knew it was wrong, and went anyway you do have culpability. So, mention it in confession.

Regarding the organization misrepresenting itself as Catholic, contact your diocese and inform them of this group.

I don’t know the law in Canada but here in the US diocese have successfully gone after groups in court that falsely lead people to believe they are in union with the Catholic Church. They have been able to get cease and desist orders against several such groups.

How old are you? Are you under the authority of your parents?

Again, your culpability in attending could be mitigated by your age, your knowledge, your full freedom to act. Mention it to your priest in confession.

you knew before going that the “wedding” was to be in a restaurant. You knew that one of the couple was divorced without an annulment. So, it seems you knew going in that this was going to be an invalid attempt at marriage. So, to the degree you knew this, knew it was wrong, and went anyway you do have culpability. So, mention it in confession.

Yes this is true, I knew all of this. I never thought about it and told the bride yes before I had thought about any of it - no excuse. Once I started to think and research these “priests” who are not inline with the Catholic Church, but claim they are Catholic, well then I was losing my mind.
I will mention this in confession, that I was culpable, amoung other things.

I am also not under the authority of my parents, age wise, but I am in that I still live in their house. Again, not an excuse at all, just saying.

I wanted clarification on here for you all, because I have yet to talk to a priest about it.
I knew it was wrong, and once there, how awful of a decision I had made.
All to keep peace and not look bad.
Its awful , I know.

Thank you for the guidance:o

Peace of Christ

A very unfortunate event.

Just to nitpick, I haven’t heard anything so far that proves the priest had invalid Holy Orders, so it’s possible that the Eucharist was valid. Not sure whether that’s important, but it could play a role in what the bishop decides to do.

Don’t beat yourself up over it. You did not commit any serious sin if any sin. But it would be a good thing to speak to your pastor about. Pastors and bishops need to be aware of these groups in order to alert their parishioners. It was a good thing you did to pray the rosary for them.

The mosy unfortunate, yes.

**Just to nitpick, I haven’t heard anything so far that proves the priest had invalid Holy Orders, so it’s possible that the Eucharist was valid. Not sure whether that’s important, but it could play a role in what the bishop decides to do. **

It is great to keep an eye just incase, but no, these “priests” are not Catholic [edited]

One is a former Jesuit priest, the other, never a Catholic priest to begin with, but they claim to be Catholic in this way, which is VERY misleading to ignorant Catholics, and well more than just ignorant ones, because people dont know about their faith

This is them

• A progressive, inclusive and affirming Catholic Church
  • Welcoming the inclusion of women in the priesthood, the marriage of priests and the wedding of gay and lesbian couples as gifts of God
  • A place of healing for those who have been hurt by their church of origin, but still yearn for Catholic spirituality and liturgy
  • A Church in the Apostolic Succession
  • Valuing the primacy of honour of His Holiness the Pope as Successor of St. Peter and Patriarch of the West; we pray for the Holy Father at every Mass we celebrate
  • Catholics-in-exile, not under the authority and jurisdiction of the Vatican

Not to mention they are all homosexual - you can read their bio’s on their webpage.

That is to clear up there do not have Holy Orders.
I am also concerned that they are leading others astray, those at this wedding, who believed them to be Catholic.

Peace of Christ,

How is this “order” even allowed to use the name Catholic?

How do you suggest it be prevented?

You see it doesn’t have anything to do with being “Allowed” to use the name “Catholic”. They just do it and there is little anyone can do to prevent it.
Remember that deception is one of satans’s hallmarks and greatest weapons.

Peace
James

I think it would be best to just be happy for the couple. Sure maybe some of the things that went on at this wedding contradict your beliefs, but it’s not our place to judge. They are celebrating their union and obviously their faith in their own way. It’s unfortunate that your faith has kept you from enjoying yourself. I would suggest that in the future you embrace religious diversity, there is no need to let something like this upset you.

I would suggest that in the future you embrace religious diversity, there is no need to let something like this upset you.

Thank you for the note :slight_smile:

However, that is relativism, I cannot embrace that :frowning:
And it was based on lies, and selfish acts, I cannot embrace that.

‘How many winds of doctrine we have known in recent decades, how many ideological currents, how many ways of thinking. … The small boat of thought of many Christians has often been tossed about by these waves – thrown from one extreme to the other: from Marxism to liberalism, even to libertinism; from collectivism to radical individualism; from atheism to a vague religious mysticism; from agnosticism to syncretism, and so forth. Every day new sects are created and what St. Paul says about human trickery comes true, with cunning which tries to draw people into error (cf. Eph 4:14). Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the church, is often labeled today as a fundamentalism. Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and “swept along by every wind of teaching,” looks like the only attitude (acceptable) to today’s standards. We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as for certain and which has as its highest goal one’s own ego and one’s own desires.’

Peace and blessings

:eek:

Definitely talk it over with your priest!

I would say, though, that attending such a “wedding” with the intention to evangelize is probably not the best approach anyway. It would be better to talk to those involved privately beforehand that to show up at their “wedding” looking for a fight.

Who told you that? If you disagreed with the wedding, you should have not attended, or walked out as soon as you realized what was happening. If you were worried about “creating a scene”, there are appropriate and polite ways to rescind an acceptance or to walk out of a ceremony. If you are a minor, that is a different situation. However, in that case, I doubt you would have accepted an invitation; your parents would have accepted on behalf of your family.

As for the “ceremony”, there are many “churches” that refer to themselves as being “catholic”, despite not being in full communion. Some split from the Holy See decades or centuries ago, and some picked up the word from its definition. Most of these groups are quick to point out that they are not “affiliated with” the Roman Catholic Church (usually because they have different beliefs - like supporting homosexuality - and they want to indicate that the Pope does not speak for them). Are you sure that the “priest” indicated that he is a member of the Roman Catholic Church?

Of course, even if it wasn’t a priest pretending to be Roman Catholic, you still attended a wedding between two Catholics that were not free to marry and that were married outside of the Church.

It sounds like you are very much in need of healing over this whole sorry event. I think you conducted yourself as well as you possibly could. After all, you did not participate in this charade of a wedding or (gasp!) receive communion. You are the victim of the grave sins perpetrated by this “priest” and the people who planned the event.

Go to confession, explain the whole thing to the priest and let him sort it out. I attended a presumptively invalid wedding a few years ago and I felt so much better after confession. You may also ask your pastor to offer a mass of reparation for the sins this “order” is committing against the Body of Christ.

God bless you and may the healing begin soon.

Mrs. Mac

While he may or may not have been validly ordained, Digitonomy, that is only one of the conditions for validity of the Mass. He needed to have the intent to do this as the Church prescribes, the form and the matter. If any of other three conditions were not present, then it would render it invalid.

The fact that the “wedding” was between two Catholics, both of whom failed to get an annulment, and officiated by someone with dubious affiliations is already treading down the wrong path. The bishop needs to know what happened. There are more foul flags here than at a football game. Clearly something is very wrong.

If we can take him at his word, of which there is obviously some doubt, he was ordained a Jesuit priest. Once a priest, always a priest. If he has been dismissed from the clerical state (a reasonable guess), he no longer holds any office in the Catholic Church, and is forbidden from exercising such priestly office, with the possible exception of granting deathbed confessions in extreme circumstances. What he’s forbidden to do obviously is beside the point in his case, since he doesn’t care. We’re concerned with what he actually has the ability to do. Dismissal from the clerical state does not remove the indelible mark on his soul that gives him the ability to confect the Eucharist. So if he (the “archbishop”) was the celebrant, it seems likely the Eucharist was vaild.

This is important to keep in mind in case one has the urge to do something to the host to demonstrate his disagreement and disbelief in the priest and the mass. You obviously weren’t suggesting anything like that, but I’m sure it’s crossed at least a few minds.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.