A prophet not recognized

I was wondering what this bible quote meant in the time and era of the prophets of the old and new testament, and it is written-

Mark 6:4 When Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home.”

Also, how does this verse pertain to God’s people (the prophets) of today?

[quote="MJCello, post:1, topic:318530"]
I was wondering what this bible quote meant in the time and era of the prophets of the old and new testament, and it is written-

Mark 6:4 When Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home."

Also, how does this verse pertain to God's people (the prophets) of today?

[/quote]

I wouldn't consider God's people of today Prophets at least not in the sense of the Prophets of the old testament. But I think that a person who has lived a sinful life and then repented has a hard time with witnessing to people who knew him or her in their old life. In many ways it can be harder to speak to your own family about faith than it is to talk to total strangers.

In the Catena Aurea of St. Thomas Aquinas (1225 - 7 March 1274) it is explained the contempt may come because of envy, origin or noble relations.

[Bede:] Even Moses bears witness that the Lord is called a Prophet in the Scripture, for predicting His future Incarnation to the sons of Israel, he says, “A Prophet shall the Lord raise up unto you of your brethren.” [Acts 7:37] But not only He Himself, Who is Lord of prophets, but also Elias, Jeremiah, and the remaining lesser prophets, were worse received in their own country than in strange cities, for it is almost natural for men to envy their fellow-townsmen; for they do not consider the present works of the man, but they remember the weakness of Him infancy.

Pseudo-Jerome: Oftentimes also the origin of a man brings him contempt, as it is written, “Who is the son of Jesse?” [1 Sam 25:10] for the Lord “hath respect unto the lowly; as to the proud, He beholdeth them afar off.”

Theophylact: Or again, if the prophet has noble relations, his countrymen hate them, and on that account do not honour the prophet.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.