A Public Apology from me

I had to make a tough call my brothers and sisters. My wife was Presbyterian I was in RCIA. I wanted us to be in church together, neither of us could embrace the respective Church of the other. My wife was not raised Liturgical and Sacramental, so I found a Traditional Anglican body, with a Priest who told me he will teach my wife to love the seven Sacraments and the beauty and purpose of liturgy. However that is the background. My apology is this: In my thread explaining where I was, a handful of people accused me of turning my back on the Gospel. HOWEVER, two wrongs do NOT make a right. I responded to the attacks in a manner that does not befit a Southern Gentleman. I lacked charity and grace. To any and all who were offended, I offer manifold and profuse apologies. Grace and Peace to all of you in his Holy Name.

I actually may owe a second apology.:blush: I had NO idea where to place an open apology, Spiritually seemed close to the mark, but my feelings will not be hurt if it is moved.

The thread that started this one is still smoldering, this is a bump to cool things out.

A final thing. Since I am no longer in RCIA, my beliefs, as they stand now, can only cause conflict here on CAF. This being the case, with my words of apology I step down as a member. Grace and Peace.

I don’t see where you owe an apology, but sure…

…It might help if you explain to these folks that you aren’t Catholic yourself yet, just in the inquiry stage, and that you had some reservations of your own.

Hey Glorfindel,

Come share your love for Jesus Christ as your Savior in the Non-Catholic Forum of CAF.

God Bless!

My reply may seem hard hearted but I must ask.

Since, as you say, “neither of us could embrace the respective Church of the other” is it right for you to give up your choice? It is admirable that you wish to worship together, and you could still do so as a Catholic. Nothing says that you could not go with your wife to her Church, just that you could not receive communion there.

This brings to mind Matthew 8:19-22

19: And a scribe came up and said to him, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go."
20: And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head."
21: Another of the disciples said to him, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father."
22: But Jesus said to him, “Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead.”

:yup: There are a lot of us Non-Catholic Christians here at CAF. You don’t need to leave; stay & join the crew of those of us who are learning to grow spiritually–and just to ahve a good time–in the company of other believers.

Tis a pity.

There is only one Church - That founded by Christ Himself, the Catholic Church.

I truly hope you see the error, and join us soon!

Mormons and JWs play the ONE TRUE CHURCH CARD as well. It does not “wash”! “The Catholic Religion has deep Pagan roots.” (Bishop Newman, after converting to the RCC.)

Yeah, well, contrary to the Mormons, Jesus Christ founded the Church. It seemed you believed this until the wife disagreed, which is a pity, because you’re kind of missing the whole point of religion. It’s not about me, or you, it’s about God, and our following Him, not the desires of other humans.

And, I do not know when the JW’s were founded, but, the Mormons were founded in America… Kinda shaky to me, especially the whole background of the Mormon founder. I forget his name. Anyways, the Catholic Church has existed since Jesus died, and gave the Keys of Heaven to him. Plus, we compiled the Bible, and the Apostles proclaimed the Truth.

Contrary to the claims of heretical sects in Christianity, ours are based in fact.

I don’t see how your Bishop Newman quote is applicable? If it is to be offensive or derogatory to the Church, why post it? The man became a great church leader. His actions speak to the contrary of the quote’s intent, if that is why you posted it.

I hope you don’t mind me saying this Glorfindel, but that is the most ignorant statement I have ever heard. Taking quotes out of context is the refuge of the dishonest and mean. Why don’t you read Romans 1 and 2, then read what Newman has to say IN CONTEXT:

“Confiding then in the power of Christianity to resist the infection of evil, and to transmute the very instruments and appendages of demon worship to an evangelical use, and feeling also that these usages had originally come from primitive revelations and from the instinct of nature, though they had been corrupted; and that they must invent what they needed, if they did not use what they found; and that they were moreover possessed of the very archetypes, of which paganism attempted the shadows; the rulers of the Church from early times were prepared, should the occasion arise, to adopt, to imitate, or sanction the existing rites and customs of the populace, as well as the philosophy of the educated class.”(Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine, John Henry Newman, a cardinal by Pope Leo III in 1879, 1878, p351-353)

“The use of temples, and these dedicated to particular saints, and ornamented on occasions with branches of trees; incense, lamps, and candles; votive offerings on recovery from illness; holy water; asylums; holy days and seasons, use of calendars, processions, blessings on the fields, sacerdotal vestments, the tonsure, the ring in marriage, turning to the East, images at a later date, perhaps the ecclesiastical chant, and the Kyrie Eleison, are all of pagan origin, and sanctified by their adoption into the Church.” (Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine, John Henry Newman, a cardinal by Pope Leo III in 1879, 1878, p351-353)

"Since it has been represented as if the power of assimilation, spoken of in this chapter, is in my meaning nothing more than a mere accretion of doctrines or rites from without, I am led to quote the following passage in further illustration of it from my Essays, vol. ii. p. 2 3 3: “The phenomenon, admitted on all hands, is this: That great portion of what is generally received as Christian truth is, in its rudiments or in its separate parts, to be found in heathen philosophies and religions. For instance, the doctrine of a Trinity is found both in the East and in the West; so is the ceremony of washing; so is the rite of sacrifice. The doctrine of the Divine Word is Platonic; the doctrine of the Incarnation is Indian; of a divine kingdom is Judaic; of Angels and demons is Magian; the connexion of sin with the body is Gnostic; celibacy is known to Bonze and Talapoin; a sacerdotal order is Egyptian; the idea of a new birth is Chinese and Eleusinian; belief in sacramental virtue is Pythagorean; and honours to the dead are a polytheism. Such is the general nature of the fact before us; Mr. Milman argues from it ‘These things are in heathenism, therefore they are not Christian’. we, on the contrary, prefer to say, 'these things are in Christianity, therefore they are not heathen! That is, we prefer to say, and we think that Scripture bears us out in saying, that from the beginning the Moral Governor of the world has scattered the seeds of truth far and wide over its extent; that these have variously taken root, and grown up as in the wilderness, wild plants indeed but living; and hence that, as the inferior animals have tokens of an immaterial principle in them, yet have not souls, so the philosophies and religions of men have their life in certain true ideas, though they are not directly divine.” (Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine, John Henry Newman, a cardinal by Pope Leo III in 1879, 1878, p358)

I am sorry to hear of your struggles in your faith, but it is no reason to become dishonest or abusive.

Thanks dude for the apology…you becomin’ Catholic or what?

:slight_smile: Thank you. After the abuse I have taken from Catholics, I will remain Anglican. Blessings.

Oh, come on - are you really going to base your decision as to which church God wants you to be in on the way people on an Internet forum treat you? :frowning:

Evidently.

And there’s still a lot of misinformation about the Church being flung around by those who aren’t even members.

I wouldn’t let the folks that have bugged you run you off…I’ve been blasted on CAF for everything from voting for Obama (hence earning me eternal hell fire) to being a public education teacher to giving protestants credit to questioning the Catholic Church on birth control. I’ve been blasted (as McCain would say, "I have the scars to prove it my friends! LOL) but I keep coming in here.

I like listening to people I agree with AND people I don’t agree with it all. It keeps us intellectually healthy. When we get to the point where we only surround ourselves with like-minded folks, we stagnate.

Stick around…:slight_smile:

This is a Catholic forum. Many threads have been shut down for a ‘lack of charity.’

But just how charitable is it when the OP (and here I paraphrase) tells us CATHOLICS that we are idolators? That we are crazy for believing that Jesus is present in ‘a cracker?’

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.