A question about alcohol

i have a friend who smokes marijuana and doesn’t see anything wrong with doing so. he compares his marijuana use to me drinking a beer. i might drink two beers while he smokes a little bit of reefer. he says it’s about the same thing. he doesn’t drink. is this morally wrong? what should i say to him?

doing anything in excess is morally wrong, except if your eyes are on the Lord. It’s ok to smoke marijuana, but if you let it take your eyes away from God, it’s not. It’s ok to drink, but if it takes your mind off of God, it’s not.

so i should just let it go?

As a Christian we are called to follow the laws. I am too lazy to look up the exact verse, but this is found in scripture.

Smoking pot is against the law, plain and simple. So, until the laws change, a Christian can not smoke marijuana.

If he is a Christian you might want to point out that following the law is found in scripture.

Even if he is not a Christian getting caught smoking pot can lead to fines and, in some cases, jail time. Having a mark on your records might hurt you later when you attempt to get a job.

If your friend thinks the laws are unjust then he can try to fight them through the system.

Or he can move to Denmark. I am pretty certain that it is legal to smoke pot there.

There’s a striking difference between having a beer and smoking pot. People can, and do, enjoy the taste of a beer and do not drink it for the intoxicating effects of alcohol. The sole purpose of smoking pot is to get high.

Is what he doing legal? If his argument is that it SHOULD be legal then the question becomes, is he smoking it as a political statement and is he doing it on the front steps of the State Capitol building, willing to go to jail so that he can exercise his freedom of choice?

Or is he too high to follow the argument…just kidding…:wink:

Context is everything here.

There is nothing inherently sinful about driving a car one hundred and fifty miles an hour. In fact it it’s even appropriate on a race track. But it is both extremely unsafe and against the law to do so on a public road and as such would be sinful.

In and of itself, smoking marijuana is just another act.
But it is illegal most places (at some level of government) and has some major known health risks. I would say that for such people it is sinful.

If someone just happens to live in a place where smoking marijuana is perfectly legal and/or if someone has one of those *very *few medical problems which seem to be helped by smoking, then the morality of the act gets a bit more, um, hazy.

He is breaking the law. He is hurting himself physically and mentally. By buying illegal drugs, he is materially assisting in the evil and incredibly damaging drug trafficking that funds death and terrorism in other countries.

Sin always has social consequences. But people who smoke pot don’t care about that. They end up not caring about much of anything.

As followers of Christ we are called conform to any secular law that does not go against God’s law. For instance, we do not recognize any laws allowing abortion because they violate the divine law. However, not being allowed to smoke pot does not violate any divine laws, but not being able to consume alcohol for any reason would violate God’s law, due it’s requirement for a valid Mass.

Besides, it has been my experience that many people I knew growing up drank alcohol but never did any other drugs. However, every person I knew that smoked pot also started using harder drugs eventually, and a few of them really messed their lives up.

What you say is what I believe. While working in a psychiatric hospital, 300 beds, 80% were under 25 years of age. I talked often to the counselors, especially those who had been addicts themselves, and they all said that marijuana is a gateway drug. Even if one only sticks to that, it sure can dull your brain. I have seen this with a dearly loved nephew.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.