A question about blasphemy

I have just learned about blasphemy and it has shocked me. I was just wondering if saying g-----mn it when you are super angry from stubbing a toe, or just saying it on accident and not even trying to offend God blasphemy?

Sorry guys, before you comment I meant an unforgivable blasphemy.

It is definitely sinful to take the Lord’s name in vain, and this includes cursing with it, or saying His Name as part of a reaction, be it anger, shock or as an exclamation. That is a sin against the second commandment, which forbids taking His Name in vain. This may or may not involve blasphemy, which depends on the circumstances, content and intent of the speaker. Such unplanned utterances tend to be venial, as a mortal sin involves having full consent of the will, and you specifically said this was unintentional. But it still requires corrective action.

I’ve been told that the unforgivable sin is something that most of us are not in the position to commit. It’s something where you would have to have an experience with God like Moses when God gave him the ten commandments or seeing the burning bush and parting of the red sea and then still rejecting God after having seen something like that. Most of us don’t see God on such a tangible level like that to where we could commit that sin.

There’s no such thing as an unforgivable sin.

What is noted as the unforgivable sin in the catechism is when you refuse to allow God to forgive you. The only reason it’s unforgivable is because you won’t accept forgiveness. The moment you’re willing to accept God’s forgiveness, he will forgive you. I believe the term the catechism uses is Blaspheming against the Holy Spirit.

The verse in Matthew pertaining to blasphemy against the Holy Spirit to me has always made me wonder, even with the various interpretations I’ve heard. Even our great Church theologians had differing views of what it could mean.
Augustine’s interpretation seems to be the most popular and accepted, in that he believed it pertained to refusal to repent, even in the face of Truth, which is what the Holy Spirit represents. Others thought the blasphemy went further in that it wasn’t only refusal to repent, but also to wilfully choose evil over good even in the face of Gods mercy.

When you think about all the sins that could be forgiven, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit must be the surest and shortest path to eternal Hell. I wish there were a couple of extra verses or perhaps a parable that would really make the interpretation crystal clear. Perhaps it was written as is to you really make you think about its meaning and the seriousness involved.

Also, without mentioning who and where. I’ve read blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is committed by being a heretic. That’s a bit of stretch , I’d have to think about that one.

The day you blaspheme against the Holy Spirit is the day you walk into hell and say that you vastly prefer the arrangement to heaven.

Not the day you stub a toe and shout something angrily.

You shouldn’t say it though. Just my two cents.

CCC 2148 Blasphemy is directly opposed to the second commandment. It consists in uttering against God - inwardly or outwardly - words of hatred, reproach, or defiance; in speaking ill of God; in failing in respect toward him in one’s speech; in misusing God’s name. St. James condemns those “who blaspheme that honorable name [of Jesus] by which you are called.” The prohibition of blasphemy extends to language against Christ’s Church, the saints, and sacred things. It is also blasphemous to make use of God’s name to cover up criminal practices, to reduce peoples to servitude, to torture persons or put them to death. The misuse of God’s name to commit a crime can provoke others to repudiate religion.

Blasphemy is contrary to the respect due God and his holy name. It is in itself a grave sin.

When I was a kid, I used to think human spontaneous combustion happened when someone did that. LOL This thread made me remember that. :slight_smile:

It is a bad habit to get into and one that is hard to break.

I have people whom I dearly love who use a swear about every other word. I don’t think they have a clue that they are even doing it.

I don’t believe it’s unforgivable however, it’s definitely not a good thing. If this is something you do I think you should stop and confess it as part of your reconciliation.

To me,any one that Blasphemy,should stop,because God ,Jesus and Mary, are offeded when we Blasphemy agains their Holy name.We should always praise them. When I hear them swear useing God,s name onTV,I make the sign of the Cross,and I don,t watch to much TV,because their is a lot of Swearing,useing God,s name in Vain. May God have on them. Amen

Catechism:

1864 “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a8.htm#1864

and

982 There is no offense, however serious, that the Church cannot forgive. "There is no one, however wicked and guilty, who may not confidently hope for forgiveness, provided his repentance is honest. Christ who died for all men desires that in his Church the gates of forgiveness should always be open to anyone who turns away from sin.

One can distinguish between blasphemy (and other grave offenses) and profanity /disrespectful use of the Holy name such in anger or pain etc in a way -say out of a bad habit -that is not blasphemy --not said -say out of contempt for God or directed at God etc.

That such in itself while certainly NOT to be done (we are Christians --we love and reverence the Holy Name of Jesus etc-as Paul says --let no evil talk come from your mouths…) - such can be said to be ordinarily venial.

Let us praise and bless the Holy Name!

Praised be Jesus Christ of Nazareth --now and forever!

In addition to my post above this one (not to be missed there):

One can distinguish between blasphemy and profanity /disrespectful use of the Holy name such in anger or pain etc in a way -say out of a bad habit -that is not “blasphemy” --not said -say out of contempt for God or directed at God etc.

Though of course such also certainly NOT to be done (we are Christians --we love and reverence the Holy Name of Jesus etc-as Paul says --let no evil talk come from your mouths…)…

And in our society there is so much sinful use of the Holy Name in many ways and media - and we ought to seek to praise it and seek that such may not happen - and especially seek to protect the little ones from such though we cannot shield them from every evil always and everywhere.

Let us praise and bless the Holy Name!

Praised be Jesus Christ of Nazareth --now and forever!

There was no deliberation before you said it, right? There needs to be deliberation for you to be guilty of the mortal sin of blasphemy, right? God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.