A question about Confession

Is invalid a Confession in which the priest does not impose penance?

No. All that is needed for a confession to be valid are the words “I absolve you.”

Correct, all the Priest has to do is invoke the prayer of absolution.

And an ordained minister with faculties and jurisdiction and the proviso that no mortal sins were deliberately concealed and no ecclesiastical penalties remain which cannot be remitted by the minister and and and…

He should do so. But if he forgets -no it is not invalid.

Also: One may ask at the time for the penance-Priests should not forget but they are human too. If one realizes this later do some penance of ones own.

Okay… I understand now.

But, I have another question: if someone says, without malice, by misjudgment, a shorter time than the real time elapsed since the last confession (currently, penultimate!), should he mention this fact in the next Confession?

If he didn’t give you penance just say a pray or two yourself which is nice but it is fine.

Validity also requires the recitation of all known mortal sins, and contrition for those sins.

If the penitent deliberately withholds a mortal sin, or is not sorry for one of his sins, the confession is invalid, and none of the sins are forgiven.

Penance is never a requirement for validity. You are forgiven as soon as the priest absolves you (assuming the other two criteria are met). Even if you deliberately don’t do your assigned penance, you are still forgiven your past sins, though you may be sinning anew.

God Bless

It’s not necessary, as it’s not a sin since it was just a misjudgement. But one can do so anyway, just for ease of conscience. :slight_smile:

Now if I say --reject doing the penance given --while I am confessing (reject it during the Sacrament) — well that can be a rather different story.

Though one may ask the Priest there and then to change the penance if one does not think on can do it for example.

Well, then it would be up to the priest as to whether to give you absoultion. Rejecting the penance could cause him to question your contrition, certainly.

God Bless

If the penitent before receiving absolution rejects doing the penance- as I noted can be a rather different story. Normally such would not happen I would hope -for why would you be in confession? And if one has a problem with the penance one should tell the Priest.

If the Priest knows one rejects doing a penance -well he would not seek to give absolution.

If the penitent before receiving absolution rejects doing the penance- as I noted can be a rather different story.

Normally such would not happen I would hope -for why would you be in confession?

And if one has a problem with the penance one should tell the Priest.

Anyhow this is getting off the OP question. Which has been answered already above and is a different matter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.