A question about discerning good books

Hello,

I have a question about this book, The Kite Runner. I don’t know too much about the book, but I’m planning on reading this for class. Does anyone have any insight on if it’s a good book? I’m not looking for summaries, or the like, just if it’s good for a Catholic youth to read. ***NO SPOILERS/SUMMARIES/PLOT INFORMATION PLEASE, I CAN USE CLIFFNOTES IF I REALLY WANTED TO ***Thank you so much.

Happy Feast of the Ascension,

Andrew K.

Is this a high school or college class? Is this something you have been asked to select or is it assigned reading?

It was very popular. I read it, and I was very disappointed. It is so melodramatic and poorly written. I’m very picky about books, so someone who is less picky might like it. I vowed never to read another book by the same author, and I’ve kept that vow.

It was a Number One NYTimes bestseller for over two years.
I never read it, but I remember it was a book club fave for a long time and there was a feature film based on the book.

it’s a great book. Read it.

Yes. Excellent book. Intense in places, but very good. I learned some interesting history, too.

I agree with most of the other posters --good book. I was more concerned with why you felt it required discernment. If it’s assigned for a class, read it.

Ok, I am overcareful sometimes. Thank you all

I was going to recommend a few stories by this author I like. Full of murder, rape, incest, black magic - they’ve got the lot. But maybe you should steer clear of them.

Nearly forgot to mention the author. Guy called Shakespeare.

If you are a high-school student and this is an assigned book, the discernment has been done for you.

Also, if we never read books that contain information with which we may disagree, we don’t learn to think, or how to engage in discourse with those who disagree with us. Rather than ruling out books prior to reading them, it’s important to learn to consider their content, understand them, and formulate our own thoughts about them.

In college, you may have to read all kinds of books that are not edifying in themselves, but are important to understand: *Mein Kampf, The Prince and Communist Manifesto * pop to mind for political science, as an example.

Don’t forget infidelity and fornication! And at least one play includes cross-dressing and people pretending to be their opposing genders.

All of 'em, good stories for a young Catholic to read.

check the reviews on it at amazon.com or elsewhere

amazon says it good, but then they sell books.

I was “liberally-minded” when I read the book. That said, I don’t recall anything that would make it inappropriate reading for a Catholic. Well, some tough and terrible stuff happens to characters, of course… that makes it a compelling story. But it’s not like it’s some fantasy story glorifying black magic and summoning demons, tempting youth into occult practices or other types of sin! It’s literature. I liked it.

What’s that other book full of murder, genocide, stoning, polygamy, rape, infanticide…I’ve got a copy somewhere.

My daughter just read it for high school and liked it.

What’s that other book full of murder, genocide, stoning, polygamy, rape, infanticide…I’ve got a copy somewhere.

Yes, the Bible has different parts that are pretty intense. But is completely depends on the lens you read it though. The point isn’t to cause any desires, like impure media. The point of it is so that we may believe, and so come to hope, and so come to love.

Now that the school year is over, I can say: not a fan at all. Very impure, not recommending this…

“For something to be “obscene” it must be shown that the average person, applying contemporary community standards and viewing the material as a whole, would find (1) that the work appeals predominantly to “prurient” interest; (2) that it depicts or describes sexual conduct in a patently offensive way; and (3) that it lacks serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value.”

lectlaw.com/def2/o002.htm

If someone doesn’t meet those three points, then it should be fine. Though as your an educator, I suggest also making sure it fails the third point (make sure it has serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.